Is there a way to stop XP from using Prefetch?
Thanks.

--
LMO
"If you always do what you always did,

Yes, a Registry key named "EnablePrefetcher" which has 4
possible states, 0-3. Setting the key value to 0 will turn it off.

"LMO" <lmonospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Is there a way to stop XP from using Prefetch?
> Thanks.
>
> --
> LMO
> "If you always do what you always did,
> You'll always get what you always got."

Yes, but why would you want to do that. Prefetch and the associated
layout.ini "does" make for faster boot up times.

You can go here to download a little utility that makes controlling your
prefetch much easier! It is called Prefetch Clean and Control. I have been
using it since it's inception.

Regards,

Richard Urban

"LMO" <lmonospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Is there a way to stop XP from using Prefetch?
> Thanks.
>
> --
> LMO
> "If you always do what you always did,
> You'll always get what you always got."

moimeme

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2005

Easy prefetch settings via the "Windows XP Prefetch Clean and Control"
freeware utility ( see here :
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=2495 )
"LMO" <lmonospam@yahoo.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
3haln9Fg19l5U1@individual.net...
> Is there a way to stop XP from using Prefetch?
> Thanks.
>
> --
> LMO
> "If you always do what you always did,
> You'll always get what you always got."

Please note that the developer of the software, Jester2k, appears to
have disappeared. The link to the Web site is 404, and Google turns up
no new site.

regards,
ssg MS-MVP