Sign in with
Your question

Dual 19" LCD Monitor Recommendations?

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
November 23, 2005 3:08:56 PM

Hi there,

In short I'm looking for a couple of good 19" flat panel monitors to replace my aging 17" CRT monitors. My budget is about $300 each, but no more than $350, and obviously less if possible. I would mainly use them for static applications (i.e. music software, web browsing, website editing). I don't really play games or watch movies too often on the PC, though I don't want to box myself out of the option either if that makes sense.

That in mind, how much should I care about things like response time or VGA vs. DVI and the other factors? I was looking at the Dell 19" for example, but then I read it was VGA and had a 20ms response time which seems kinda slow in these days of DVI monitors w. 8ms and less. I know what the specs mean, just not sure how much I should be concerned with them given that it seems I don't have a high demand for "moving" images. The only other factor is that I do computer support by day, so I will spend a LOT of time in front of them.

Thanks in advance for any help.
November 23, 2005 6:56:22 PM

For your uses, the high speed doesn't do anything for you, but clarity and configurability are the best.

So, response time is a non-issue with you. VGA/DVI - get dvi if you can, because vga goes thru 2 extra conversions to/from digital/analog and that can induce a little noise in the image. But not enough to be noticeable generally, so its a very small issue.

I would get the one that has the best controls and adjustments, with the best view by your eyes.

Mike.
November 23, 2005 7:26:06 PM

Yeah, just hard to "view" them when all I've got around me is your typical Best Buy, Circuit City, etc, and I'm not paying an extra $100 for anything. You'd think Manhattan would have more computer stores for some reason, but . . .

So, anything you recommend? Either for or against?
!