Alienware Upgradeability

fraushai

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
Hi, this is my first time posting here! I'd like to know if the Alienware M15x GPUs can be upgraded in the future, say, when the Nvidia GTX 3xx series comes out :)

josh7331

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2009

I am in the same boat as you. I want to buy the alienware m11x with the intention of upgrading it 1 year after purchase with the cpu though.

NST

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2010
Josh7331, you will be able to upgrade your GPU, but not every GPU will be compatible.The MXM Type of the video cards must match.Also, the ''future video card'' must have similar power consumption and heat production to the previous card.If it consumes much more power, it will decrease significantly your battery life, and if it produces much more heat,your laptop's cooling devices won't be able to handle it, causing a system malfunction. I love Alienware laptops, but if you are a gamer, I would recommend Asus G73JH-A1, it is the hottest thing right now and, equipped with i7-720QM,ATI Radeon Mobility 5870 video card,8GB memory, 1000GB @ 7200 rpm storage, 17.3 FullHD screen, Blu-Ray Reader, instant CPU and GPU overclocking function, an innovative cooling system that keeps the laptop cool and quiet, paired with 2 years warranty, a nice backpack, a gaming mouse and a price of 1699$, it is certainly a bang for the buck.

Fraushai, unfortunately, you won't be able to upgrade your CPU, if you buy Alienware m11x, due to different CPU sockets, because SU7300 is Core 2 Duo and the current Intel mobile processors lines are i3/i5/i7.Also, there isn't a reason to upgrade now and I doubt there will be in one year, because right now SU7300 is the best Intel processor between those which have the same power consumption (max TDP 10W).Fraushai, if you want a subnotebook that will combine mobility, battery life,performance and upgradeability, check Sony Vaio Z.