Disk to Disk Clone

David

Can anyone tell me how easy its to clone a XP Pro disk to a new bigger size
NTFS
partition Disk..

I am going to buy Norton's Ghost, is there anythink i should look out for
when i perform this operation

Thanks

> Can anyone tell me how easy its to clone a XP Pro disk to a new bigger
> size
> NTFS
> partition Disk..
>
> I am going to buy Norton's Ghost, is there anythink i should look out for
> when i perform this operation
>
> Thanks

Your new disk my come with software that will clone your old one. If it
doesn't most brands have software you can download from their web site to
accomplish this. If your computer is a HP/Compaq, Dell or some other brand
that has a hidden restore partition then the software that comes with the
drive may have problems with that partition. In that case you may need Ghost
or TrueImage or something similar. The commercial packages like Ghost or
TrueImage are easier to use than the software that may be supplied free by
the drive manufacturer.

Kerry

bytor

In article <5EAAEFDE-9AF9-4E6B-88A2-C69727BAB2F7@microsoft.com>,
David@discussions.microsoft.com, =?Utf-8?B?RGF2aWQ=?= says...

> Can anyone tell me how easy its to clone a XP Pro disk to a new bigger size
> NTFS
> partition Disk..
>
> I am going to buy Norton's Ghost, is there anythink i should look out for
> when i perform this operation
>
> Thanks

Ghost works pretty well for exactly the kind of thing you are doing. Be
careful, though... it is easy to clone to an NTFS partition size bigger than
is allowed for boot partitions (sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't).

> Can anyone tell me how easy its to clone a XP Pro disk to a new bigger
> size
> NTFS
> partition Disk..
>
> I am going to buy Norton's Ghost, is there anythink i should look out for
> when i perform this operation
>
> Thanks

If you buy a retail hard drive kit, you may already have a "cloning"
utility.

The only "major" problem I see is if you are cloning an IDE drive to a SATA
drive. This still does not seem to work well.

After you clone the drive, make sure that you set the new drive as Master
and that you do the "first boot" with the new drive ONLY. If you boot with
both drives connected, XP seems to get mixed up.