Automatic update install

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I am one IT guy in a 100+ workstation environment. Some stations use 2k Pro,
others are on XP pro. NT4.0 Domain.

I really need these updates (including SP2 for XP) to just frickin install
with no user interaction at all. People come in and see the cute little
globe at the bottom right and think "I'm too busy to mess with this". Even
though I have updates enabled and set to install at 3am, all I get is the
globe.

Is there a registry edit or something someplace that I can edit to make this
work automatically without counting on users to run this?
mm

map

El Marko wrote:
> I am one IT guy in a 100+ workstation environment. Some stations use
> 2k Pro, others are on XP pro. NT4.0 Domain.
>
> I really need these updates (including SP2 for XP) to just frickin
> install with no user interaction at all. People come in and see the
> cute little globe at the bottom right and think "I'm too busy to mess
> with this". Even though I have updates enabled and set to install at
> 3am, all I get is the globe.
>
> Is there a registry edit or something someplace that I can edit to
> make this work automatically without counting on users to run this?
> mm

Some updates, including SP2 require you click on yes to the EULA so some
interaction is required.

--
Mike Pawlak

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserversystem/updateservices/default.mspx

--
Peace!
Kurt

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

How I would do this is to download the administrator's version of all the
service packs, then (after testing) use the logon script to do the
following:

1) determine operating system
2) check to see if the SP is already installed
3) install the SP appropriate for the os in silent mode (usually, the
installer has a /s or /q switch)

That way, you don't have to mess with automatic updates at all.

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 07:58:13 -0500, "El Marko" <threegtrz@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>I am one IT guy in a 100+ workstation environment. Some stations use 2k Pro,
>others are on XP pro. NT4.0 Domain.
>
>I really need these updates (including SP2 for XP) to just frickin install
>with no user interaction at all. People come in and see the cute little
>globe at the bottom right and think "I'm too busy to mess with this". Even
>though I have updates enabled and set to install at 3am, all I get is the
>globe.
>
>Is there a registry edit or something someplace that I can edit to make this
>work automatically without counting on users to run this?
>mm

Get something like SMS (Systems Management Server). Using it you can
push updates down to all you workstations from the SMS Server console.
They get the updates whether they want them or not, and you don't have
to worry about the user doing something to install them.