Abit Memory Question

G

Concerning the memory the Abit IC7-G mobo uses. Must you use ECC or Non ECC modules or can you use either. I see that under the chipset heading of this board it says supports Dual Channel DDR 400 ECC Function. Thanks........

Listed under the memory heading it says supports configurable ECC Function.

It was mentioned here that Non ECC (Non Parity) memory was the way to go. Would that still apply to this mobo.

<b>"A politician should do two terms-one in office & one in jail"</b><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by vista on 01/30/04 06:26 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Prof133

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2003
- Support for unbuffered non-ECC and unbuffered ECC with this chipset.

- In most cases, non-ECC would be the right choice. Information about ECC <A HREF="http://corsairmicro.com/corsair/products/tech/memory_basics/153707/index.html" target="_new">here</A> and <A HREF="http://www.mushkin.com/epages/Mushkin.storefront/401abb4301bf658a273fc0a80102064c/UserTemplate/19" target="_new">here</A>.

G

Yes I have been to this link. I don't want to error on buying the wrong type of memory for the above specific mobo. What type memorm is used for this board, ECC or non ECC.....Thanks

<b>"A politician should do two terms-one in office & one in jail"</b>

Prof133

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2003
What type memorm is used for this board, ECC or non ECC
Can use ECC or non-ECC memory with this board. I'd suggest non-ECC memory - Crucial, Mushkin, Corsair PC3200 unbuffered/non-ECC as examples - for this build as I haven't seen any indication that you need ECC memory.

G

Thank you for the reply. Another question if you don't mind. I'm not looking to over clock anything but I wanted a 1394 port on the board so that's one of the reasons I am considering this mobo. I was also considering the Gigabyte board. Back to my question. I want to use 1 gb of ddr memory 2x512. I want as much performance as possible but yet maintain a good stable machine. Can you suggest the best memory manufacturer plus the type memory to use with this board or the Gigabyte board if you think that would be a better way to go. Money is not an issue, I just don't want to have a bunch of problems because I bought the wrong parts over saving a few bucks.Thanks.......Vista

Prof133

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2003
If not overclocking, should be fine with Buffalo Tech PC3200 (Model #: DD4002-512, available at NewEgg) or Corsair XMS PC3200 C2 as examples; for these memory modules manually set DDR SDRAM Voltage to 2.7V in the BIOS. Other PC3200 modules that have been recommended here would include Crucial PC3200 and Corsair Value Select PC3200.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
If you're "considering" that board, consider the Abit IS7 instead, it's a better value with all the features except 1, the LAN is 10/100 instead of gigabit. It's also has a better history with RAM stability.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

G

Crashman,
I had wanted to go with the 875P chipset, the IS7 does not have this. What do you think of the Gigabyte 875P chipset board as compared to the Abit.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Why did you want the 875P instead of the 865PE? Anandtech shows the IS7 is one of the top performers!

875P and 865PE are the same chipset when they build them, Intel simply eliminates the pins needed to use ECC RAM from the 865PE pin grid.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

G

I am not going to be over clocking since I don't think I would know how. I would consider myself lucky if I got this thing built with only a few problems. I wanted the fastest stock processor 3.2 (now 3.4) and I am not certain if the 865PE will support this, thus the 875P....Thanks

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
865PE and 875P use the same die, the ONLY differences are that Intel put the SAME core on two different pin grids (one supporting ECC, the other not supporting ECC) and disabled PAT (re-enabled by Abit, but insignificant to performance overall). These things have nothing to do with processor support, both support the same processors.

G

ok thanks. So I can use the Intel 3.2 processor with the Abit IS7 mobo correct.

<b>"A politician should do two terms-one in office & one in jail"</b><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by vista on 02/02/04 04:57 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, the 3.2C works fine with the IS7.

kal326

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You might look at a bit slower chip if your going to oc it, a 3.2 is going to be right at 4Ghz when oc'ed to 250fsb and who doesnt like a good old round 1Ghz qdr fsb? I run a 2.4c at a 250fsb it ends up being a 3Ghz chip runs stock voltage and same temps as it does at stock speed with the stock intel cooler. Drop in some PC4000 up your DDR voltage a bit and crank you bus up to 250.

Abit IC7
2.4c @ 3.0
1024 PC4000 2.5-4-4-7
GF FX5900 @ 455/955
2x120 Seagate SATA Raid0
3DMark03: 6414
Thats not a bug, its an undocumented feature....