OK I'm really sorry to ask such an embarrassing question, having 20 years
computer use under my belt.

When my WindowsXP home machine use to boot uo the "Number lock" was on as
defult, it has for some reason stopped that and now I have to turn it on
each time.

I am using a MS Office keyboard, as despite having looked everwhere I can
think of I can not find a setting to tell it to be on at boot up.

Please can someone help?

Thanks

After you have booted to the desktop turn on numlock. The perform a normal
Start | Shutdown. Don't just turn off the computer. Upon reboot, after a
normal shutdown, the status of numlock will be remembered. It will be ON.

Now, if your machine is crashing on shutdown (some do not realize that this
is occurring) the status will not be remembered.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

"Shane Nation" <Shane@nation22.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
> OK I'm really sorry to ask such an embarrassing question, having 20 years
> computer use under my belt.
>
> When my WindowsXP home machine use to boot uo the "Number lock" was on as
> defult, it has for some reason stopped that and now I have to turn it on
> each time.
>
> I am using a MS Office keyboard, as despite having looked everwhere I can
> think of I can not find a setting to tell it to be on at boot up.
>
> Please can someone help?
>
> Thanks

XP "seems" to reatin the 'last known" setting of the Num Lock, at shutdown.
If you shutdown with the Num Lock off, it will be off on next start-up.
This seems to be a perminate setting in XP itself.

"Shane Nation" <Shane@nation22.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
> OK I'm really sorry to ask such an embarrassing question, having 20 years
> computer use under my belt.
>
> When my WindowsXP home machine use to boot uo the "Number lock" was on as
> defult, it has for some reason stopped that and now I have to turn it on
> each time.
>
> I am using a MS Office keyboard, as despite having looked everwhere I can
> think of I can not find a setting to tell it to be on at boot up.
>
> Please can someone help?
>
> Thanks

There might be a setting in your BIOS that can toggle numlock on/off at
boottime.

Shane Nation wrote:

> OK I'm really sorry to ask such an embarrassing question, having 20 years
> computer use under my belt.
>
> When my WindowsXP home machine use to boot uo the "Number lock" was on as
> defult, it has for some reason stopped that and now I have to turn it on
> each time.
>
> I am using a MS Office keyboard, as despite having looked everwhere I can
> think of I can not find a setting to tell it to be on at boot up.
>
> Please can someone help?
>
> Thanks

This may help:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=314879

Steve

Yves Leclerc wrote:

> XP "seems" to reatin the 'last known" setting of the Num Lock, at shutdown.
> If you shutdown with the Num Lock off, it will be off on next start-up.
> This seems to be a perminate setting in XP itself.

XP preserves the Num Lock state for the USER at logout, not for the
machine at shutdown.

Steve

> "Shane Nation" <Shane@nation22.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
>
>>OK I'm really sorry to ask such an embarrassing question, having 20 years
>>computer use under my belt.
>>
>>When my WindowsXP home machine use to boot uo the "Number lock" was on as
>>defult, it has for some reason stopped that and now I have to turn it on
>>each time.
>>
>>I am using a MS Office keyboard, as despite having looked everwhere I can
>>think of I can not find a setting to tell it to be on at boot up.
>>
>>Please can someone help?
>>
>>Thanks

I have set:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Keyboard - InitialKeyboardIndicators to 2

Shane

"j9" <j9@1aprop.com> wrote in message
> There might be a setting in your BIOS that can toggle numlock on/off at
> boottime.

Which is overridden by XP.

There's a tweak will do it for you- it was posted in the last couple of
weeks.
It's among this little lot: