Asus support site

blwallen

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2002
I just sent the following note (eventually) to the Asus Webmaster:
---------------------
"In trying to complete a very simple task--downloading a PDF copy of my motherboard manual
after two hours of navigating various pages from your different Web sites, retrieving my W2k
distribution disk so I could install an apparently required language pack, rebooting, reloading
running applications, I am no closer to having the manual. I have only found many problems
with your sites:"

(I included seven documented problems with many broken links and VB errors in their distribution system for documentation and in trying to report these errors to their Webmaster. The sites included both those in the US and Taiwan.)

"Although I haven't kept these kinds of detailed records, I have similar experiences on two other occassions. If you want to maintain
the Asus reputation for quality of customer and technical service, this is a very poor way to do it."

Eventually, I found a mailto link with an address I used to send this message, but in general, I found Asus Web support unreachable. Have to start looking for another MB source!

dinoX

Distinguished
May 1, 2001
so you are going to give up on them b/c you couldn't figure out how to navigate their site? I do agree that the downloads page needs some work...keep in mind where most of these manufacturers are located and what their primary language is. Then add in what they code their site in (that same language) and then add who translates it for them.

But to each their own. I have a manual for my Asus mobo. Came with it, and its the most detailed and helpful manual I've ever seen from any mobo manufacturer. Haven't seen anything as helpful from anybody else.

[If loving AMD processors is the path to the Dark Side, consider me a Sith Lord. (dinoX aka Black Dog)]

bareego

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2002
It can't be that hard to build a decent support site.

Nowadays with the production cycles so short and
many buggy releases a decent website with updates is important for me as a techie/hardware buyer.

Also the webpage is their presentation to the world, they
should try to make it at least working. If not, what does that
say about their quality standards ? Sheesh, if they had just one guy working half time on that site and they'd leave all that ballast off, it'd be so much easier.

If only they'd leave out all that fancy drop down lists, java, ASP etc BS.

Just give me a big button on the entry page called SUPPORT or DRIVERS
and link to pages with simple HTTP and blue underlined links that are sitting on a fast reliable server.

Before I buy any mobo/video card I go and check out the webpage of the chip/card manufacturer... and if I don't like it I don't buy it.

Reminds me of the wonderful download we used to get of the PCChips Webpages...often something like 12Bytes/S. Now that's speed !

bareego (at) yahoo dot com
WE WANT GUI !
all the old guys can keep their asciiprOn