Tom's Hardware's Biggest CPU Shoot-Out, Ever

Status
Not open for further replies.

one-shot

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
I am grateful that Toms had an article about firearms and CPUs. I target shoot and own several guns myself. This is very welcome. Did you use 55gr FMJs with the .223? I noticed the muzzle velocity was 3200FPS, which sounds about right for 55gr bullets. I have two .223 caliber rifles myself, one hunting, the other target. I use 50gr in one and 69gr in the other. It's too bad FMJs couldn't have been used in the SKS. Great April Fool's joke/article!

cangelini

Contributing Editor
Editor
Jul 4, 2008
[citation][nom]one-shot[/nom]I am grateful that Toms had an article about firearms and CPUs. I target shoot and own several guns myself. This is very welcome. Did you use 55gr FMJs with the .223? I noticed the muzzle velocity was 3200FPS, which sounds about right for 55gr bullets. I have two .223 caliber rifles myself, one hunting, the other target. I use 50gr in one and 69gr in the other. It's too bad FMJs couldn't have been used in the SKS. Great April Fool's joke/article![/citation]

Glad you enjoyed it one-shot. Yes, these were 55 grain Wolf FMJ cartridges. And because they were Wolf, that just meant more clean-up after the fact! I had FMJ on-site for the SKS as well, but as mentioned in the story, that shooter was just obsessed with HPs, so he insisted on his own ammo for that one.

hustler539

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2008
HaHa! great article!

...Some say his droppings have been found as far north as York. And that he has a full size tattoo of his face, on his face. All we know is, he's called The Stig.

chaohsiangchen

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2008
[citation][nom]gkay09[/nom]Please do a shoot out with some intel CPU too[/citation]

I'd prefer that they'll be shooting products from Apple Inc. and taking motion picture with high speed camera.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]cangelini[/nom]Is there such a thing?[/citation]
Yes there is - if you are watching top gear australia at least ... it's so rediculous even one season is enough to satisfy a lifetime's need for it.

The 'real' second generation top gear with jeremy though ... can't get too much of that really.

ps. the very first topgear was very very rubbish - you should watch an episode just to get an idea how boring life must've been in the late 80s

And - nice article. Different for sure. I'm not much into guns though, but I'd expected those shotguns to do more damage. Suppose a cpu is quite durable in the end.

cangelini

Contributing Editor
Editor
Jul 4, 2008
[citation][nom]curnel_d[/nom]I wish you guys could have used .50 armor piercing rounds too![/citation]

Same here--that's why I had to add the bit about being in California. We have a .50 cal ban in effect, on top of all the other things that are banned here.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]cangelini[/nom]Same here--that's why I had to add the bit about being in California. We have a .50 cal ban in effect, on top of all the other things that are banned here.[/citation]
The terminator doesn't like competition ...

Robert17

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2009
Excellent tech article. Although well covered for caliber type, a little more about the powder used, and bullet weight, would have allowed for a better comparison. You should have considered holding the shoot-out in Texas as you would have saved freight on the Opteron's and would have been free to pretty much shoot non-modified weaponry. Great laughs, thanks!

misry

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2006
Kerosene cleans the cosmoline off the steel nicely, the wood just has to sweat. Surprised CA allowed the bayo. Thanks for not showing a CA legal AK.

Send me some chips and I can add 7.62x25 ChiCom steelcore and 8mm Turk to the list. I have to drive about 300 miles to do the .50 but if you want to wait till summer I can do one of those too.

Status
Not open for further replies.