Home Premium Retail Upgrade

ram1009

Distinguished
I've read the sticky about W7 versions but there's just too many "if, ands & buts" for me to keep straight so I'm just going to ask this question. I'm about to buy a RETAIL UPGRADE version of W7 Home Premium. I want to use it to upgrade a machine currently running XP Pro sp3. I believe my XP install disk is itself an upgrade version. Am I going to have a problem?

Win 7 Upgrade will only upgrade if you have Win Vista installed.

I would instead buy the OEM version of Windows 7 Home Premium. It's cheaper than the retail version, but every time you want to reinstall Win 7 you must contact Microsoft and ask them to release the product key so that you can properly re-install the OS.

ram1009

Distinguished

I've heard that statement about Vista many times from many sources however it is contradicted on Microsoft's official site here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/help/upgrading-from-windows-xp-to-windows-7

ram1009

Distinguished

The comments about Vista are also contradicted here: http://windows7forums.com/windows-7-installation-upgrade/14597-if-you-windows-xp-planning-upgrade.html

How am I suppose to believe anyone? These are both credible sites.

skaz

Distinguished
Your fine. I would choose "clean install" though during installation instead of "upgrade" method. And you will have to choose clean install method if you are going from 32bit to 64bit anyways.

From Microsoft's website,

"When purchasing Windows 7, you can choose either an upgrade version or full version. Both upgrade and full versions include the same features. Upgrade versions require that Windows XP or Windows Vista are installed on your computer before installing Windows 7. Full versions don't require a previous version of Windows to be installed on your computer."

Alucard1

Honorable
Feb 11, 2013

Not sure where to post this but I went from XP Professional the 7 Home premium Upgrade.
All went good and 7 ran smooth. Now I installed a new Mother board and CPU. Now 7 won't boot up.

It give me two options 1) to do a repair, 2) start windows normally. but neither will work.
How can I reinstall 7 Upgrade? I will not boot from the 7 disk.

Should I install XP 1st again?

Thanks.