Confused over validation

Hi all

I've only today visited the download center at microsoft.com and come up
against the dreaded validation for the first time.

My copy of XP passes and for the rest of that session I "stay valid",
(i.e. if I try another download I get the "Genuine Windows" banner and
am offered the download immediately).

But I am confused over what happens between sessions. The info on the
Microsoft site says that once validated, a download key is placed on
your computer to speed up access in the future. I thought this meant the
validation would be persistent? But it doesn't seem to be.

If I use IE and visit the site again, I am again asked to validate.
Should this happen? When I check the box to validate now and continue, a
page flashes by too quickly for me to really see what's there, but it
looks like some screenshots of IE? Then it flashes back to the download
page and tells me I am genuine.

Is this the way it's supposed to work?

If I use Firefox to validate and then visit the site a second time, I
have to go through the whole validation procedure again, including
running the checker, pasting in the key it comes up with, etc.

I thought it would work like some kind of cookie on your machine so that
once validated it would be recognised as genuine every time you visit
the site. *Something* is definitely happening in IE, but the site is
still asking me to start the validation process. In Firefox whatever it
is is not "sticking".

I'm really confused. Can anyone tell me how this is meant to work? Have
we really got to go through this procedure every time? (Yes, I know it's
not mandatory at the mo, but they say it may be in the future.)

--
Nightowl
32 answers Last reply

    If it were me (and I'll bet that many are glad it isn't) I would make people
    validate each time. This would prevent them from taking the validation token
    and using it on a machine that has a pirated copy of Windows XP installed on
    it.

    And yeah! I would also be known as "the hanging judge"!

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban

    Nightowl wrote:
    > Hi all
    >
    > I've only today visited the download center at microsoft.com and come
    > up against the dreaded validation for the first time.
    >
    > My copy of XP passes and for the rest of that session I "stay valid",
    > (i.e. if I try another download I get the "Genuine Windows" banner and
    > am offered the download immediately).
    >
    > But I am confused over what happens between sessions. The info on the
    > Microsoft site says that once validated, a download key is placed on
    > your computer to speed up access in the future. I thought this meant
    > the validation would be persistent? But it doesn't seem to be.
    >
    > If I use IE and visit the site again, I am again asked to validate.
    > Should this happen? When I check the box to validate now and
    > continue, a page flashes by too quickly for me to really see what's
    > there, but it looks like some screenshots of IE? Then it flashes back
    > to the download page and tells me I am genuine.
    >
    > Is this the way it's supposed to work?
    >
    > If I use Firefox to validate and then visit the site a second time, I
    > have to go through the whole validation procedure again, including
    > running the checker, pasting in the key it comes up with, etc.
    >
    > I thought it would work like some kind of cookie on your machine so
    > that once validated it would be recognised as genuine every time you
    > visit the site. *Something* is definitely happening in IE, but the
    > site is still asking me to start the validation process. In Firefox
    > whatever it is is not "sticking".
    >
    > I'm really confused. Can anyone tell me how this is meant to work?
    > Have we really got to go through this procedure every time? (Yes, I
    > know it's not mandatory at the mo, but they say it may be in the
    > future.)

    Yep, that ain't the way it is supposed to work, but like ALL
    copy-protection schemes it don't always work the way it is supposed to.
    MS doesn't care about you as their paying customer, as they are too busy
    censoring the Chinese bloggers for the commie Chinese gov't.

    http://www.kurttrail.com/kblog/kblogarch/00000030.php

    --
    Peace!
    Kurt

    Richard Urban wrote on Wed, 15 Jun 2005:

    >If it were me (and I'll bet that many are glad it isn't) I would make people
    >validate each time. This would prevent them from taking the validation token
    >and using it on a machine that has a pirated copy of Windows XP installed on
    >it.
    >
    >And yeah! I would also be known as "the hanging judge"!

    But it's okay to have a pirated copy of any Windows apart from XP and
    2000, according to Microsoft.

    Thanks for your opinion, anyway. Here are a couple of mine, though I
    prefer to call them friendly suggestions:

    Since you replied only to the last three lines of my post, that was all
    you needed to quote, not the whole thing. And please do not post quotes
    below your sig separator, since everything under that gets removed when
    replying.

    Thanks.

    --
    Nightowl

    I can see everything with Outlook Express. Too bad your news reader doesn't
    show it all.

    --

    > Richard Urban wrote on Wed, 15 Jun 2005:
    >
    >>If it were me (and I'll bet that many are glad it isn't) I would make
    >>people
    >>validate each time. This would prevent them from taking the validation
    >>token
    >>and using it on a machine that has a pirated copy of Windows XP installed
    >>on
    >>it.
    >>
    >>And yeah! I would also be known as "the hanging judge"!
    >

    > But it's okay to have a pirated copy of any Windows apart from XP and
    > 2000, according to Microsoft.
    >
    > Thanks for your opinion, anyway. Here are a couple of mine, though I
    > prefer to call them friendly suggestions:
    >
    > Since you replied only to the last three lines of my post, that was all
    > you needed to quote, not the whole thing. And please do not post quotes
    > below your sig separator, since everything under that gets removed when
    > replying.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > --
    > Nightowl

    I'm seeing the same thing you are. However, this is "normal". The ActiveX control is already installed on your computer. This is still a work in progress.

    Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    http://www.dougknox.com
    --------------------------------
    --------------------------------
    Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

    Richard Urban wrote:

    > I can see everything with Outlook Express. Too bad your news reader
    > doesn't show it all.

    That's because REAL newsreaders follow Usenet netiquette, unlike Outlook
    Express. Then again, MickeyMouse was rather slow in catching on to the fact
    that the Net was going to be a big thing in the computing world. One would
    think that they've had more than enough time to get OE working properly
    with Usenet, but alas, that isn't the case.

    --
    Get Microsoft PowerToys for Windows XP here:
    "A must-have for your Toy Operating System"

    Nightowl wrote:

    > Richard Urban wrote on Wed, 15 Jun 2005:
    >
    >>If it were me (and I'll bet that many are glad it isn't) I would make
    >>people validate each time. This would prevent them from taking the
    >>validation token and using it on a machine that has a pirated copy of
    >>Windows XP installed on it.
    >>
    >>And yeah! I would also be known as "the hanging judge"!
    >

    > But it's okay to have a pirated copy of any Windows apart from XP and
    > 2000, according to Microsoft.
    >
    > Thanks for your opinion, anyway. Here are a couple of mine, though I
    > prefer to call them friendly suggestions:
    >
    > Since you replied only to the last three lines of my post, that was all
    > you needed to quote, not the whole thing. And please do not post quotes
    > below your sig separator, since everything under that gets removed when
    > replying.
    >
    > Thanks.

    He can't help it, without putting in a little effort. A small effort, yes,
    but for some of the people around here, "effort" is something they don't
    believe in.

    Your newsreader is working properly and as an real newsreader should.
    Obviously it isn't a toy, like OE is when it comes to Usenet. Not only
    that, you're obviously wise enough to Usenet to not top post, unlike many
    around here. But be warned ... trying to point this out to some around here
    is a futile exercise and will only be met with their wrath and scorn.

    --
    Get Microsoft PowerToys for Windows XP here:
    "A must-have for your Toy Operating System"

    "Nightowl" <owl@[127.0.0.1]> wrote in message
    > Hi all

    > But I am confused over what happens between sessions. The info on the
    > Microsoft site says that once validated, a download key is placed on
    > your computer to speed up access in the future. I thought this meant the
    > validation would be persistent? But it doesn't seem to be.

    Why should it be? If they discover a widely used pirated registration after
    you've used the updates one they should just let you continue to get the
    updates?
    If the Police discover you using the car you use but stole months ago they
    should just let you continue using it because you'd started to use it.?
    That'd work and be reasonable too?

    Alan Smith wrote on Thu, 16 Jun 2005:

    >"Nightowl" <owl@[127.0.0.1]> wrote in message

    >> But I am confused over what happens between sessions. The info on the
    >> Microsoft site says that once validated, a download key is placed on
    >> your computer to speed up access in the future. I thought this meant the
    >> validation would be persistent? But it doesn't seem to be.

    >Why should it be?

    Because that appeared to be what Microsoft were saying. Which is why I
    asked here if this is the way it is supposed to work.

    >If they discover a widely used pirated registration after
    >you've used the updates one they should just let you continue to get the
    >updates?

    Since I am not a pirate and have paid for my licence, yes. What do you
    suggest instead -- that legit customers should be punished instead of
    the thieves?

    >If the Police discover you using the car you use but stole months ago they
    >should just let you continue using it because you'd started to use it.?
    >That'd work and be reasonable too?

    A fallacious argument, since I haven't stolen anything.

    --
    Nightowl

    Richard Urban wrote on Wed, 15 Jun 2005:

    [Post re-ordered to make sense]

    [Nightowl wrote:]

    >>Since you replied only to the last three lines of my post, that was
    >>all you needed to quote, not the whole thing. And please do not post
    >>quotes below your sig separator, since everything under that gets
    >>removed when replying.
    >>
    >>Thanks.

    >I can see everything with Outlook Express. Too bad your news reader doesn't
    >show it all.

    OE is broken. That's no excuse. Thousands, if not millions, use OE in
    other newsgroups and somehow manage not to paste quotes under their sig
    separator. Not to mention your top-posting. But hey, if you want to
    continue making it difficult for people to reply to you, go right ahead.

    --
    Nightowl

    NoStop wrote on Thu, 16 Jun 2005:

    Nightowl wrote:

    >> Since you replied only to the last three lines of my post, that was all
    >> you needed to quote, not the whole thing. And please do not post quotes
    >> below your sig separator, since everything under that gets removed when
    >> replying.
    >>
    >> Thanks.
    >>
    >He can't help it, without putting in a little effort. A small effort, yes,
    >but for some of the people around here, "effort" is something they don't
    >believe in.

    Hmm, I'd heard (since I've never used the thing) that OE encouraged
    top-posting, but until I came here I'd never seen this pasting quotes
    under the sig separator in any group. Surely that's down to the user?

    As for effort, in order to reply to him, I had to cut and paste quotes,
    edit the quote depth and re-order the whole thing so it read coherently.
    If he continues to make it that much of a job, I can't imagine many
    people will bother.

    >Your newsreader is working properly and as an real newsreader should.
    >Obviously it isn't a toy, like OE is when it comes to Usenet. Not only
    >that, you're obviously wise enough to Usenet to not top post, unlike many
    >around here. But be warned ... trying to point this out to some around here
    >is a futile exercise and will only be met with their wrath and scorn.

    Duly noted, thank you :-)

    --
    Nightowl

    Doug Knox MS-MVP wrote on Wed, 15 Jun 2005:

    >I'm seeing the same thing you are. However, this is "normal". The
    >ActiveX control is already installed on your computer. This is still a
    >work in progress.

    Thank you, Doug. I'm glad to know it wasn't my computer playing up :-)

    --
    Nightowl

    Nightowl wrote:
    > NoStop wrote on Thu, 16 Jun 2005:
    >
    > Nightowl wrote:
    >
    >>> Since you replied only to the last three lines of my post, that was all
    >>> you needed to quote, not the whole thing. And please do not post quotes
    >>> below your sig separator, since everything under that gets removed when
    >>> replying.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks.
    >>>
    >> He can't help it, without putting in a little effort. A small effort,
    >> yes,
    >> but for some of the people around here, "effort" is something they don't
    >> believe in.
    >

    > Hmm, I'd heard (since I've never used the thing) that OE encouraged
    > top-posting, but until I came here I'd never seen this pasting quotes
    > under the sig separator in any group. Surely that's down to the user?
    >
    > As for effort, in order to reply to him, I had to cut and paste quotes,
    > edit the quote depth and re-order the whole thing so it read coherently.
    > If he continues to make it that much of a job, I can't imagine many
    > people will bother.

    The problem is that for many people it will be too hard to bother to try
    another newsclient then OE. :-(

    To me, it seems like an ovious example of Micros~1 *again* playing dirty
    with the competition, this time by singlehandedly changing a
    longstanding usenet convention.
    The result is that when less knowledgable users ventures out and tries
    to use a different newsreader then OE, they notices that *it seems* not
    to work right because text is mysteriously dissappearing. So they will
    return to the fold of being OE-lusers where *as long as everybody uses
    OE* it looks fine (well, in that backwards top-posting way).

    What is sad is that some high-volume posters in here, very knowledgable
    and helpfull persons, supposedly unpaid my Micros~1, not only gladly
    uses this broken newsclient like this, but in fact encourages others to
    do the same. :-(

    --
    Global Fund for Mergers and Acquisitions
    1203 Foley Square

    Please followup in newsgroup.
    E-mail address is invalid due to spam-control.

    .... et al. wrote:

    > The problem is that for many people it will be too hard to bother to
    > try another newsclient then OE. :-(
    >
    > To me, it seems like an ovious example of Micros~1 *again* playing
    > dirty with the competition, this time by singlehandedly changing a
    > longstanding usenet convention.

    Go hawk saving your "traditional values" to your church.

    Conventions change, and are the rallying cry of conformists.

    > The result is that when less knowledgable users ventures out and tries
    > to use a different newsreader then OE, they notices that *it seems*
    > not to work right because text is mysteriously dissappearing. So they
    > will return to the fold of being OE-lusers where *as long as
    > everybody uses OE* it looks fine (well, in that backwards top-posting
    > way).

    LOL! And many people think that bottom posting is ass-kissing the post
    you are replying to.

    > What is sad is that some high-volume posters in here, very
    > knowledgable and helpfull persons, supposedly unpaid my Micros~1, not
    > only gladly uses this broken newsclient like this, but in fact
    > encourages others to do the same. :-(

    To each his own. Of course you can always lobby for you countries
    government to regulate the USENET posts on the LOCAL ISPs news servers.
    How would you like that? If you wouldn't, then learn to live with the
    FACT that how a person posts their posts is their decision, and other
    than trying to rationally explain why you believe bottom-posting is
    better for you than top-posting, bitching about it will accomplish
    nothing.

    I used to mainly top-post when replying to an entire post, though I
    inline-posted when replying to different points in the same post. What
    turned me to bottom-posting when not inline-posting wasn't some a**hole
    bitchin' and whinin' about top-posters, or the traditional values of
    bottom-posting, but someone that rationally explained why they
    bottom-posted.

    In the end, there is really nothing you can do about how other people
    post, other than lobbying your government to censor the USENET on your
    country's ISP nntp servers, and bitchin' about only makes you look like
    a netiquette nagger.

    --

    kurttrail wrote:

    > ... et al. wrote:
    >

    >>The problem is that for many people it will be too hard to bother to
    >>try another newsclient then OE. :-(
    >>
    >>To me, it seems like an ovious example of Micros~1 *again* playing
    >> dirty with the competition, this time by singlehandedly changing a
    >>longstanding usenet convention.
    >

    > Go hawk saving your "traditional values" to your church.
    >
    > Conventions change, and are the rallying cry of conformists.
    >

    >>The result is that when less knowledgable users ventures out and tries
    >>to use a different newsreader then OE, they notices that *it seems*
    >>not to work right because text is mysteriously dissappearing. So they
    >>will return to the fold of being OE-lusers where *as long as
    >>everybody uses OE* it looks fine (well, in that backwards top-posting
    >>way).
    >

    > LOL! And many people think that bottom posting is ass-kissing the post
    > you are replying to.
    >

    >>What is sad is that some high-volume posters in here, very
    >>knowledgable and helpfull persons, supposedly unpaid my Micros~1, not
    >>only gladly uses this broken newsclient like this, but in fact
    >>encourages others to do the same. :-(
    >>

    > To each his own. Of course you can always lobby for you countries
    > government to regulate the USENET posts on the LOCAL ISPs news servers.
    > How would you like that? If you wouldn't, then learn to live with the
    > FACT that how a person posts their posts is their decision, and other
    > than trying to rationally explain why you believe bottom-posting is
    > better for you than top-posting, bitching about it will accomplish
    > nothing.
    >
    > I used to mainly top-post when replying to an entire post, though I
    > inline-posted when replying to different points in the same post. What
    > turned me to bottom-posting when not inline-posting wasn't some a**hole
    > bitchin' and whinin' about top-posters, or the traditional values of
    > bottom-posting, but someone that rationally explained why they
    > bottom-posted.
    >
    > In the end, there is really nothing you can do about how other people
    > post, other than lobbying your government to censor the USENET on your
    > country's ISP nntp servers, and bitchin' about only makes you look like
    > a netiquette nagger.

    The problem I see is it's the same OE users who top post (including a
    lot of MVPs) who complain that repliers don't quote what they're
    replying to. It's not about netiquette or standards, it's about doing
    what works. Top posting with OE and using a sig does not work to retain
    quoted material in a discussion when many others do not use OE.

    Steve

    Steve N. wrote:

    > The problem I see is it's the same OE users who top post (including a
    > lot of MVPs) who complain that repliers don't quote what they're
    > replying to. It's not about netiquette or standards, it's about doing
    > what works. Top posting with OE and using a sig does not work to
    > retain quoted material in a discussion when many others do not use OE.

    And you sign every post with "Steve," but don't have it formatted as a
    proper sig.

    Does it bother me, no. But we all do something that somebody else
    thinks is not the proper way of doing things.

    Live and let live.

    And I agree with your post. Some of my MVP friends in this group, are
    dyed-in-the-wool top posters. Many, if not most of them have been
    posting to the USENET much longer than I have, and have read every
    argument, both pro and con, over and over again. They choose to top
    post. Oh well!

    --

    kurttrail wrote:

    > Steve N. wrote:
    >

    >>The problem I see is it's the same OE users who top post (including a
    >>lot of MVPs) who complain that repliers don't quote what they're
    >>replying to. It's not about netiquette or standards, it's about doing
    >>what works. Top posting with OE and using a sig does not work to
    >>retain quoted material in a discussion when many others do not use OE.
    >

    > And you sign every post with "Steve," but don't have it formatted as a
    > proper sig.
    >
    > Does it bother me, no. But we all do something that somebody else
    > thinks is not the proper way of doing things.

    It's not proper vs improper in my mind and that's not what I intended to
    imply.

    > Live and let live.
    >
    > And I agree with your post. Some of my MVP friends in this group, are
    > dyed-in-the-wool top posters. Many, if not most of them have been
    > posting to the USENET much longer than I have, and have read every
    > argument, both pro and con, over and over again. They choose to top
    > post. Oh well!

    I don't mind top posting in the least. What I mind is not being able to
    reply to a top posted OE message with a sig and keep the previous qouted
    material without manually copying and pasting it.

    Steve

    Steve N. wrote:
    > kurttrail wrote:
    >> And you sign every post with "Steve," but don't have it formatted as
    >> a proper sig.
    >>
    >> Does it bother me, no. But we all do something that somebody else
    >> thinks is not the proper way of doing things.
    >
    > It's not proper vs improper in my mind and that's not what I intended
    > to imply.
    >

    >> Live and let live.
    >>
    >> And I agree with your post. Some of my MVP friends in this group,
    >> are dyed-in-the-wool top posters. Many, if not most of them have
    >> been posting to the USENET much longer than I have, and have read
    >> every argument, both pro and con, over and over again. They choose
    >> to top post. Oh well!
    >>

    > I don't mind top posting in the least. What I mind is not being able
    > to reply to a top posted OE message with a sig and keep the previous
    > qouted material without manually copying and pasting it.

    I just cut the sig. With OE Quotefix it is done automatically anyway
    with a properly formatted sig line.

    --

    kurttrail wrote:

    > Steve N. wrote:
    >
    >>kurttrail wrote:
    >>
    >>>And you sign every post with "Steve," but don't have it formatted as
    >>>a proper sig.
    >>>
    >>>Does it bother me, no. But we all do something that somebody else
    >>>thinks is not the proper way of doing things.
    >>
    >>It's not proper vs improper in my mind and that's not what I intended
    >>to imply.
    >>

    >>>Live and let live.
    >>>
    >>>And I agree with your post. Some of my MVP friends in this group,
    >>>are dyed-in-the-wool top posters. Many, if not most of them have
    >>>been posting to the USENET much longer than I have, and have read
    >>>every argument, both pro and con, over and over again. They choose
    >>>to top post. Oh well!
    >>>

    >>I don't mind top posting in the least. What I mind is not being able
    >>to reply to a top posted OE message with a sig and keep the previous
    >>qouted material without manually copying and pasting it.
    >

    > I just cut the sig.

    I don't have the option of doing that.

    > With OE Quotefix it is done automatically anyway
    > with a properly formatted sig line.

    That's what I understand.

    Steve

    kurttrail wrote on Thu, 16 Jun 2005:

    >I used to mainly top-post when replying to an entire post, though I
    >inline-posted when replying to different points in the same post. What
    >turned me to bottom-posting when not inline-posting wasn't some a**hole
    >bitchin' and whinin' about top-posters, or the traditional values of
    >bottom-posting, but someone that rationally explained why they
    >bottom-posted.

    I don't like top-posting but my main complaint was about this sticking
    quotes under the sig separator. That's not bitchin' and whinin' but for
    a rational reason -- because in newsreaders other than OE, the signature
    and everything below it is stripped out when the user goes to reply.

    People will of course do as they please, but those who've only ever used
    OE may not have been aware of this, so I think it's fair to bring it up.

    --
    Nightowl
  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Nightowl wrote:
    > kurttrail wrote on Thu, 16 Jun 2005:
    >
    >> I used to mainly top-post when replying to an entire post, though I
    >> inline-posted when replying to different points in the same post.
    >> What turned me to bottom-posting when not inline-posting wasn't some
    >> a**hole bitchin' and whinin' about top-posters, or the traditional
    >> values of bottom-posting, but someone that rationally explained why
    >> they bottom-posted.
    >
    > I don't like top-posting but my main complaint was about this sticking
    > quotes under the sig separator. That's not bitchin' and whinin' but
    > for a rational reason -- because in newsreaders other than OE, the
    > signature and everything below it is stripped out when the user goes
    > to reply.

    I don't think the "quote" that is a part of Crusty's sig is meant to be
    repeated in reply to his post.

    > People will of course do as they please, but those who've only ever
    > used OE may not have been aware of this, so I think it's fair to
    > bring it up.

    I wasn't replying to you, but to ... et al, the "... et al. wrote:" at
    the top of my post.

    --
    Peace!
    Kurt
    Self-anointed Moderator
    microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
    http://microscum.com/mscommunity
    "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"
  22. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Nightowl wrote:

    > kurttrail wrote on Thu, 16 Jun 2005:
    >

    >>I used to mainly top-post when replying to an entire post, though I
    >>inline-posted when replying to different points in the same post. What
    >>turned me to bottom-posting when not inline-posting wasn't some a**hole
    >>bitchin' and whinin' about top-posters, or the traditional values of
    >>bottom-posting, but someone that rationally explained why they
    >>bottom-posted.
    >

    > I don't like top-posting but my main complaint was about this sticking
    > quotes under the sig separator. That's not bitchin' and whinin' but for
    > a rational reason -- because in newsreaders other than OE, the signature
    > and everything below it is stripped out when the user goes to reply.
    >
    > People will of course do as they please, but those who've only ever used
    > OE may not have been aware of this, so I think it's fair to bring it up.

    That's the point, people who use only OE don't see it as a problem and
    we're apparently wasting our breath. Oh well...

    Steve
  23. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    .... et al. wrote:

    > To tell you a secret, i'm not too thrilled about Thunderbird myself.
    >
    > I've been meaning to try out Gravity, Agent, xNews and some others,
    > and hopefully get comfy with one of them. For varios reasons i've
    > managed to keep putting it off.
    >
    > But fortunately at least there exists many alternatives one can choose
    > between. It's not like one must use OE if one doesn't like
    > Thunderbird. :-)

    Agent is a very good newsreader for downloading from binary newsgroups.
    And OE with some addins, like OE quotefix is one of the best text-based
    newsreaders I've ever tried.

    You don't agree, and no one is forcing you to use it.

    --
    Peace!
    Kurt
    Self-anointed Moderator
    microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
    http://microscum.com/mscommunity
    "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"
  24. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    In my previous post i made a sidehand remark about top-posting. Try not
    to become to concerned with that, that was not my main point, ok.

    kurttrail wrote:

    > ... et al. wrote:
    >
    >>The problem is that for many people it will be too hard to bother to
    >>try another newsclient then OE. :-(
    >>
    >>To me, it seems like an ovious example of Micros~1 *again* playing
    >> dirty with the competition, this time by singlehandedly changing a
    >>longstanding usenet convention.
    >
    > Go hawk saving your "traditional values" to your church.
    > Conventions change, and are the rallying cry of conformists.

    Sure, for example fewer and fewer people complain about signatures that
    exceed the old convention of a two-line maximum (perhaps depending on
    the groups you lurk in). In todays internet it is becoming an archaic
    convention that more and more *users decide* to disregard. I have no
    problems with such changes. (and anyhow in wellbehaving newsclients they
    will be auto-snipped on next reply, won't they? ;-/ )

    However when one major software-developer singlesidedly implements some
    convention-change for all its users, in an open standard, to gain an
    unfair advantage over other software-developers, and with the impact it
    is bound to have with them distributing their software as part of an
    ubiquitous operating system, it is something i do dislike.

    Imposed conformism for sure, but from Micros~1's side not mine.

    There is nothing stopping Micros~1 from devising a propriaty protocol,
    say msnews:, that is using some other then the wellknown port 119,
    developing software for it and convince people to use that instead of
    Usenet over the open Network News Transport Protcol. Maybe i will use
    also that, the same as i am currently using their OS.

    >>The result is that when less knowledgable users ventures out and tries
    >>to use a different newsreader then OE, they notices that *it seems*
    >>not to work right because text is mysteriously dissappearing. So they
    >>will return to the fold of being OE-lusers where *as long as
    >>everybody uses OE* it looks fine (well, in that backwards top-posting
    >>way).
    >
    > LOL! And many people think that bottom posting is ass-kissing the post
    > you are replying to.

    Sure, peoples views and opinions will differ, but the 'top-posting' is a
    sidetrack, please don't let it distract you too much. The main
    discussion is about the way OE puts quoted test below the users signaure
    delimiter. I offered an explanation, my theory, as to why the OE Dev.
    Team is doing this.

    >>What is sad is that some high-volume posters in here, very
    >>knowledgable and helpfull persons, supposedly unpaid my Micros~1, not
    >>only gladly uses this broken newsclient like this, but in fact
    >>encourages others to do the same. :-(
    >
    > To each his own. Of course you can always lobby for you countries
    > government to regulate the USENET posts on the LOCAL ISPs news servers.
    > How would you like that?

    Well, /my/ goverment already does pressure the ISP's to selfsensor and
    filter certain kinds of usenet-posts (of the darker kind), or else this
    will be legislated in the near future. Hard to argue against that, but
    of course then the slippery-slope has begun.

    > If you wouldn't, then learn to live with the
    > FACT that how a person posts their posts is their decision, and other
    > than trying to rationally explain why you believe bottom-posting is
    > better for you than top-posting, bitching about it will accomplish
    > nothing.

    Are you still on about the top-posting thingy? I was writing about the
    fact that i don't understand why intelligent people with open eyes use
    software that put quoted text below the sig-delimiter.

    > I used to mainly top-post when replying to an entire post, though I
    > inline-posted when replying to different points in the same post. What
    > turned me to bottom-posting when not inline-posting wasn't some a**hole
    > bitchin' and whinin' about top-posters, or the traditional values of
    > bottom-posting, but someone that rationally explained why they
    > bottom-posted.

    You are a smart person, i'm surprised you had to have someone explaining
    it to you. For me, it's simply logical, that's why i choose to write
    followups the way i do. But my last post wasn't about top vs. bottom, i
    don't understand why you keep on about that.

    > In the end, there is really nothing you can do about how other people
    > post, other than lobbying your government to censor the USENET on your
    > country's ISP nntp servers, and bitchin' about only makes you look like
    > a netiquette nagger.

    I don't know if your pet-peeve, the one that you are always bitchin'
    about, the activation-retinascanning-validating-hoopjumping circus, if
    you think your bitching about it in here will convince the captain of
    the ship, the MS Jaggernaut, to make any coursechanges? (Don't stop
    bithin' about it on my acount.)

    Me, i didn't try to make anyone change their way of posting. Again, i
    was offering an explanation as to why i think OE was *designed* to
    enforce its users posts to be the way they are (and then i expressed my
    bewildement as to how many peoples mind works).

    In both, the hoopjumping and quote-below-sig.delimiter, cases Micros~1
    is doing what they do to further their own interests, against end-users
    and/or competing software-developers, because they can. If i would
    petition /my/ goverment regarding this, it would be to legislate
    anti-trust laws and then to have them be enfored. Not that i think /my/
    goverment have enough weight to make large anational megacorps do
    anything, them days are gone.

    --
    Resistance is futile, your ass will be laminated.

    Please followup in newsgroup.
    E-mail address is invalid due to spam-control.
  25. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    "... et al." <look@sig.bcause.this.is.invalid> wrote in message

    > Are you still on about the top-posting thingy? I was writing about the
    > fact that i don't understand why intelligent people with open eyes use
    > software that put quoted text below the sig-delimiter.

    If they were as intelligent as you give them credit for they would use the
    insert signature option and insert the signature into the correct place,
    there is that option in OE, only the lazy/clueless ignore it.
  26. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 01:39:31 +0100, "Alan Smith" <alan@hidden.email>
    wrote:

    >Why should it be? If they discover a widely used pirated registration after
    >you've used the updates one they should just let you continue to get the
    >updates?
    >If the Police discover you using the car you use but stole months ago they
    >should just let you continue using it because you'd started to use it.?
    >That'd work and be reasonable too?

    That beside the point, it what Microsoft had said, Once your
    validate you won't have to do it again. I think Microsoft may have
    to make an xpi for firefox and mozilla as well.

    Greg Ro
  27. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Hi Doug,

    A fairly new Matrox 40GB went down overnight with a quite-validated and
    activated XP Pro license onboard. While waiting for the RMA hard drive to
    arrive (Monday please!), I threw an old 6GB WD in to hold things up in the
    meantime, and did a scratch install on it.

    I encountered and succeeded at activation and verification back in January,
    when I first installed this legit copy. It passes all the visual
    inspections and other tests posted online, and the telephone number I've
    forgotten altogether since I never thought I'd need it. This copy has been
    scratch installed on the same machine three times since, the last time in
    March. I wiped the drive again, and went through the laborious process of
    installing XP Pro on a ATA-33 drive (reminded me of my OS/2 install days).
    Same non-result, with the 'verification' site saying that "Microsoft never
    issued this key". Further attempts failed to issue that error message,
    instead just saying that the validation failed. The routine on the server
    seemed to think this was an nVidia OEM copy of XP SP2, which is most
    certainly not the case, though it is an OEM disc.

    I understand the OEM licenses were somehow prevented en masse via a few
    messages on the newsgroup, but this was supposed to have happened March 1 or
    so, and I did the last scratch install of this (legit) disc in the middle of
    March. I know things take a little while to hit the UK sometimes, but I got
    the impression that something's gone wrong with the program handling the
    validation. Is there a number I can call to get this taken care of? Thanks
    in advance.

    Stephen Goodman
    Cartoons about DVDs and Stuff
    http://www.earthlight.net/HiddenTrack

    "Doug Knox MS-MVP" <dknox@mvps.org> wrote in message
    I'm seeing the same thing you are. However, this is "normal". The ActiveX
    control is already installed on your computer. This is still a work in
    progress.

    --
    Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart
    Display\Security
    Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    http://www.dougknox.com
    --------------------------------
    --------------------------------
    Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

    "Nightowl" <owl@[127.0.0.1]> wrote in message
    > Hi all
    >
    > I've only today visited the download center at microsoft.com and come up
    > against the dreaded validation for the first time.
    >
    > My copy of XP passes and for the rest of that session I "stay valid",
    > (i.e. if I try another download I get the "Genuine Windows" banner and
    > am offered the download immediately).
    >
    > But I am confused over what happens between sessions. The info on the
    > Microsoft site says that once validated, a download key is placed on
    > your computer to speed up access in the future. I thought this meant the
    > validation would be persistent? But it doesn't seem to be.
    >
    > If I use IE and visit the site again, I am again asked to validate.
    > Should this happen? When I check the box to validate now and continue, a
    > page flashes by too quickly for me to really see what's there, but it
    > looks like some screenshots of IE? Then it flashes back to the download
    > page and tells me I am genuine.
    >
    > Is this the way it's supposed to work?
    >
    > If I use Firefox to validate and then visit the site a second time, I
    > have to go through the whole validation procedure again, including
    > running the checker, pasting in the key it comes up with, etc.
    >
    > I thought it would work like some kind of cookie on your machine so that
    > once validated it would be recognised as genuine every time you visit
    > the site. *Something* is definitely happening in IE, but the site is
    > still asking me to start the validation process. In Firefox whatever it
    > is is not "sticking".
    >
    > I'm really confused. Can anyone tell me how this is meant to work? Have
    > we really got to go through this procedure every time? (Yes, I know it's
    > not mandatory at the mo, but they say it may be in the future.)
    >
    > --
    > Nightowl
  28. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    That version is tied to the motherboard. I know microsoft disabled
    activation for those licenses in early March. Call them and prove that
    you're a legitimate user.
    "SP Goodman" <notearthlight2k@invalid.hotmail.com> wrote in message
> [...]
    >> looks like some screenshots of IE? Then it flashes back to the download
    >> page and tells me I am genuine.
    >>
    >> Is this the way it's supposed to work?
    >>
    >> If I use Firefox to validate and then visit the site a second time, I
    >> have to go through the whole validation procedure again, including
    >> running the checker, pasting in the key it comes up with, etc.
    >>
    >> I thought it would work like some kind of cookie on your machine so that
    >> once validated it would be recognised as genuine every time you visit
    >> the site. *Something* is definitely happening in IE, but the site is
    >> still asking me to start the validation process. In Firefox whatever it
    >> is is not "sticking".
    >>
    >> I'm really confused. Can anyone tell me how this is meant to work? Have
    >> we really got to go through this procedure every time? (Yes, I know it's
    >> not mandatory at the mo, but they say it may be in the future.)

  29. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 02:13:17 +0100, "SP Goodman"
    <notearthlight2k@invalid.hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Hi Doug,
    >
    >A fairly new Matrox 40GB went down overnight with a quite-validated and
    >activated XP Pro license onboard. While waiting for the RMA hard drive to
    >arrive (Monday please!), I threw an old 6GB WD in to hold things up in the
    >meantime, and did a scratch install on it.
    >
    >I encountered and succeeded at activation and verification back in January,
    >when I first installed this legit copy. It passes all the visual
    >inspections and other tests posted online, and the telephone number I've
    >forgotten altogether since I never thought I'd need it. This copy has been
    >scratch installed on the same machine three times since, the last time in
    >March. I wiped the drive again, and went through the laborious process of
    >installing XP Pro on a ATA-33 drive (reminded me of my OS/2 install days).
    >Same non-result, with the 'verification' site saying that "Microsoft never
    >issued this key". Further attempts failed to issue that error message,
    >instead just saying that the validation failed. The routine on the server
    >seemed to think this was an nVidia OEM copy of XP SP2, which is most
    >certainly not the case, though it is an OEM disc.
    >
    >I understand the OEM licenses were somehow prevented en masse via a few
    >messages on the newsgroup, but this was supposed to have happened March 1 or
    >so, and I did the last scratch install of this (legit) disc in the middle of
    >March. I know things take a little while to hit the UK sometimes, but I got
    >the impression that something's gone wrong with the program handling the
    >validation. Is there a number I can call to get this taken care of? Thanks
    >in advance.
    >
    >Stephen Goodman
    >Cartoons about DVDs and Stuff
    >http://www.earthlight.net/HiddenTrack
    >

    >"Doug Knox MS-MVP" <dknox@mvps.org> wrote in message
    >I'm seeing the same thing you are. However, this is "normal". The ActiveX
    >control is already installed on your computer. This is still a work in
    >progress.

    SP Goodman
    1st question
    Did you use key on your machine or from a sticker?

    2nd question
    What version of xp did you install xp? xpsp1? xpsp2?

    If you did not install xp sp2 yet and your 30 days are almost up.
    I would install xpsp2 cd update and then try to activate.

    Greg Ro
  30. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    "Greg Ro" <webworm11@yes.lycos.com> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 02:13:17 +0100, "SP Goodman"
    > <notearthlight2k@invalid.hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Hi Doug,
    >>
    >>A fairly new Matrox 40GB went down overnight with a quite-validated and
    >>activated XP Pro license onboard. While waiting for the RMA hard drive to
    >>arrive (Monday please!), I threw an old 6GB WD in to hold things up in the
    >>meantime, and did a scratch install on it.
    >>
    >>I encountered and succeeded at activation and verification back in
    >>January,
    >>when I first installed this legit copy. It passes all the visual
    >>inspections and other tests posted online, and the telephone number I've
    >>forgotten altogether since I never thought I'd need it. This copy has
    >>been
    >>scratch installed on the same machine three times since, the last time in
    >>March. I wiped the drive again, and went through the laborious process of
    >>installing XP Pro on a ATA-33 drive (reminded me of my OS/2 install days).
    >>Same non-result, with the 'verification' site saying that "Microsoft never
    >>issued this key". Further attempts failed to issue that error message,
    >>instead just saying that the validation failed. The routine on the server
    >>seemed to think this was an nVidia OEM copy of XP SP2, which is most
    >>certainly not the case, though it is an OEM disc.
    >>
    >>I understand the OEM licenses were somehow prevented en masse via a few
    >>messages on the newsgroup, but this was supposed to have happened March 1
    >>or
    >>so, and I did the last scratch install of this (legit) disc in the middle
    >>of
    >>March. I know things take a little while to hit the UK sometimes, but I
    >>got
    >>the impression that something's gone wrong with the program handling the
    >>validation. Is there a number I can call to get this taken care of?
    >>Thanks
    >>in advance.
    >>
    >>Stephen Goodman
    >>Cartoons about DVDs and Stuff
    >>http://www.earthlight.net/HiddenTrack
    >>

    >>"Doug Knox MS-MVP" <dknox@mvps.org> wrote in message
    >>I'm seeing the same thing you are. However, this is "normal". The
    >>ActiveX
    >>control is already installed on your computer. This is still a work in
    >>progress.
    >
    > SP Goodman
    > 1st question
    > Did you use key on your machine or from a sticker?

    Sticker, because my PC undergoes a good deal of testing and reinstallation.
    Lucky too, given the first motherboard/CPU burnout a month after getting it!

    > 2nd question
    > What version of xp did you install xp? xpsp1? xpsp2?

    It's an SP2 disc.

    > If you did not install xp sp2 yet and your 30 days are almost up.
    > I would install xpsp2 cd update and then try to activate.

    --
    Stephen Goodman
    Cartoons about DVDs and Stuff
    http://www.earthlight.net/HiddenTrack
  31. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 12:04:11 +0100, "SP Goodman"
    <notearthlight2k@invalid.hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Sticker, because my PC undergoes a good deal of testing and reinstallation.
    >Lucky too, given the first motherboard/CPU burnout a month after getting it!

    There is the problem. It the motherboard. Without admitting it,
    Microsoft consider motherboard a new computer. I don't know of any
    work arounds. You could possible buy an oem copy of the same version
    of windows you have and change the key to that version.

    if you original have xp,xp sp1, xp sp1a you could get xp sp2 retail
    upgrade. If you have xpsp2 oem, you just need to get another xpsp2
    oem and change the key. If you have the full version retail of
    xpsp2. I would change the key to that and call in and reactivate
    your system. Full Retail you are allowed to transfer to a new
    machine.

    Greg Ro
  32. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    > On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 12:04:11 +0100, "SP Goodman"
    > <notearthlight2k@invalid.hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Sticker, because my PC undergoes a good deal of testing and
    >>reinstallation.
    >>Lucky too, given the first motherboard/CPU burnout a month after getting
    >>it!
    >
    > There is the problem. It the motherboard. Without admitting it,
    > Microsoft consider motherboard a new computer. I don't know of any
    > work arounds. You could possible buy an oem copy of the same version
    > of windows you have and change the key to that version.

    Since we live in the real world, one where computer components fail, I think
    I'll resist following the silly logic of such policy, which wants to say
    that I should throw out the CD with the motherboard, just so I can buy
    another one.

    I don't believe this obviously failure-prone policy will last. On one level
    Microsoft not only accepted, validated and verified that my S/N was a valid
    one, and now they've decided that it's not. It certainly would appear that
    someone at MS is determined to fulfill the paranoid fantasies that some
    vocal Linux and Mac users have been fostering for ages.

    The workaround has already been discovered for the Windows Update situation,
    I understand. Funny how the folks who think they're obeying the law seem to
    be punished on this one. I've gotten an email from an MS person giving me
    the phone number to call in the UK so we'll see what happens.

    > if you original have xp,xp sp1, xp sp1a you could get xp sp2 retail
    > upgrade.

    This is an SP2 full-install. I don't buy upgrade discs anymore given the
    kind of rebuilding etc. I do - The last time I had to do that was with
    98/98se, and had to keep both CDs on-hand for a rebuild.

    > If you have xpsp2 oem, you just need to get another xpsp2
    > oem and change the key. If you have the full version retail of
    > xpsp2. I would change the key to that and call in and reactivate
    > your system. Full Retail you are allowed to transfer to a new
    > machine.

    Until some accountant at MS comes up with a new way to get people to buy
    more copies, huh? Perhaps it's the Scot in me, but I don't like throwing
    money away on something I already own the right to use as I please, within
    the law. There's not a whit of technical justification behind it, unless
    someone can come up with proof that OEM full versions are all pirated or
    something. Somehow I don't think Dell and HP would enjoy that a bit.

    --
    Stephen Goodman
    Cartoons about DVDs and Stuff
    http://www.earthlight.net/HiddenTrack

Download Internet Explorer Microsoft Windows XP