Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Sony SJ30 - Advice on Storing

Last response: in Cell Phones & Smartphones
Share
Anonymous
August 17, 2004 7:52:51 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

I have an SJ30 that I intend to store away for an extended period of
time. I'm wondering if it would be best to pop it on the charger every
so often (weekly/every two weeks/monthly) or just let the battery
discharge? The main reason I'm storing it is because I also have a
Visor Pro and finding a replacement battery for it is next to
impossible, so my intent is to use the Visor until its usefulness is
gone (i.e. dead battery, breakage, etc.), then go back to the SJ30. At
present, replacement batteries for the SJ30 are easy to find, so I
expect in a year or so I will still be able to get a battery for it if
my storage experiment kills the battery ;)  Any advice/experience with
this sort of thing would be appreciated. Thanks!
Anonymous
August 17, 2004 8:03:10 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 15:52:51 -0700, krewl <krewl@invalid.com> wrote:

>I have an SJ30 that I intend to store away for an extended period of
>time. I'm wondering if it would be best to pop it on the charger every
>so often (weekly/every two weeks/monthly) or just let the battery
>discharge? The main reason I'm storing it is because I also have a
>Visor Pro and finding a replacement battery for it is next to
>impossible, so my intent is to use the Visor until its usefulness is
>gone (i.e. dead battery, breakage, etc.), then go back to the SJ30. At
>present, replacement batteries for the SJ30 are easy to find, so I
>expect in a year or so I will still be able to get a battery for it if
>my storage experiment kills the battery ;)  Any advice/experience with
>this sort of thing would be appreciated. Thanks!

If I am reading this correctly, it looks like it would be ok to let
the battery totally discharge. Sound ok?

"Battery Storage - If you don't plan on using the battery for a month
or more, store it in a clean, dry, cool place away from heat and metal
objects. NiCad, NiMH and Li-Ion batteries will self-discharge during
storage; remember to recharge the batteries before use."

Quote clipped from http://www.batteryuniverse.com/battery-care.html
Anonymous
August 22, 2004 1:29:09 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

I found that my SJ30 left on a shelf, as a backup, did lose power slowly
over time. At first the culprit was recurring alarms that obviously
woke the thing up. Once I purged the Clie of all that, the power still
did drain.

The advice posted about giving a real recharge when you pull it out of
storage is probably a smart one. I also wouldn't store anything
essential on it, just in case.

Larry Stedman
Vestal
Related resources
Anonymous
August 22, 2004 3:42:14 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 21:29:09 GMT, Larry Stedman had this to say...


> I found that my SJ30 left on a shelf, as a backup, did lose power slowly
> over time. At first the culprit was recurring alarms that obviously
> woke the thing up. Once I purged the Clie of all that, the power still
> did drain.
>
> The advice posted about giving a real recharge when you pull it out of
> storage is probably a smart one. I also wouldn't store anything
> essential on it, just in case.
>
> Larry Stedman
> Vestal
>

The RAM needs an electrical charge running thru it to maintain it's
contents. When you turn off a Palm you really only put it in standby
mode, everything but the screen is still running. The CPU still polls
all of the apps at regular (~1 minute) intervals in case they need to do
something at a particular time. The battery drains when the Palm is
'off'.

--
Hope this helps.
Jim Anderson
( 8(|) To email me just pull my_finger
Anonymous
August 22, 2004 4:01:56 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 23:42:14 GMT, Jim Anderson
<fro2750@frontiernet.my_finger.net> wrote:

>On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 21:29:09 GMT, Larry Stedman had this to say...
>
>
>> I found that my SJ30 left on a shelf, as a backup, did lose power slowly
>> over time. At first the culprit was recurring alarms that obviously
>> woke the thing up. Once I purged the Clie of all that, the power still
>> did drain.
>>
>> The advice posted about giving a real recharge when you pull it out of
>> storage is probably a smart one. I also wouldn't store anything
>> essential on it, just in case.
>>
>> Larry Stedman
>> Vestal
>>
>
>The RAM needs an electrical charge running thru it to maintain it's
>contents. When you turn off a Palm you really only put it in standby
>mode, everything but the screen is still running. The CPU still polls
>all of the apps at regular (~1 minute) intervals in case they need to do
>something at a particular time. The battery drains when the Palm is
>'off'.

Thanks to both of you for the input! I should have mentioned that I
will be storing it "empty" (will hard reset) and will have two current
tested backups with BackupMan on a Memory Stick and several current
backups on an external Hard Drive, so I'm not concerned about losing
data. So, I think I will opt to let the battery drain and revive it at
a later date with a full recharge. If it won't revive, then it appears
to be not very expensive for a new battery:

http://store.l-f-l.com/cgi-bin/cp-app.cgi?rrc=N&pg=prod...

Thanks again!
!