Replacing Alienware m7700 LCD Screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

nocatharsis

Distinguished
May 1, 2004
I recently damaged my Alienware m7700 LCD screen beyond repair. I am looking to replace, but going directly through the manufacturer (who I am very displeased with, by the way) would cost way more than finding a screen and doing it myself. I have done some research and have these questions:

1) My computer's invoice lists the monitor as "17" UXGA+". However, according to Wikipedia and other sources, UXGA+ does not seem to be a viable resolution. Alienware's nomenclature must be different. I assume they mean WUXGA, correct?

2) I have been told by one parts supplier that the screen must be replaced by another LCD screen with the exact size and resolution specifications of the original. However, I read an article that someone had upgraded their Toshiba laptop screen with a higher resolution screen. Is it possible I can replace my screen with a screen of a different resolution?

3) It has been hard to come across a good supplier for my specific size/resolution of screen. I've checked out a few resources that came up when I searched "m7700 LCD replacement" on Google, and I've done the same with eBay. The prices range vastly from $150 to $600 or more, so I have no idea which screen is the correct compatible choice. Any suggestions on where to find a good supplier for these?

Any other input would be greatly appreciated. I know little about screen resolutions, or replacing laptop parts for that matter.

Thank you,
Allen

cfvh600

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007
If I'm not mistaken, with desktop PC's,you can run any resolution screen as long as the graphics card supports it.If your graphics card/chip supports the resolution you have in mind,it should work.I could be wrong though.

theworminator

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
The problem is that the m7700 is a laptop, it's more of a matter of a screen that will fit and hook up properly than of resolution. Graphics cards can support multiple resolutions, assuming that the monitor's native resolution isn't higher than the GPU's max resolution

I have never done this, and this is all theory for me :D

Status
Not open for further replies.