Page Cannot Be Displayed error

Not sure if this question should go here, but I'm running Internet Explorer
with Windows XP Prof version 5.1, and have been for a long time. About two
weeks ago I started seeing the 'page cannot be displayed' error for certain
images in my Yahoo homepage, such as the Yahoo logo and some of the ads.
When I surf the net I'll get the page cannot be displayed error for images on
other websites as well. I'm wondering if there's anything I can do to fix
this...it hasn't really affected my browsing capabilities but it's just sort
of weird and annoying. Could this be a virus? I've got Norton Internet
Security running and that hasn't helped with the image loading.

Thanks in advance!

You've either got a URL blocker or a hosts file on your system that is
redirecting the URL of those images to localhost.

"Scorp01" <Scorp01@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Not sure if this question should go here, but I'm running Internet
> Explorer
> with Windows XP Prof version 5.1, and have been for a long time. About
> two
> weeks ago I started seeing the 'page cannot be displayed' error for
> certain
> images in my Yahoo homepage, such as the Yahoo logo and some of the ads.
> When I surf the net I'll get the page cannot be displayed error for images
> on
> other websites as well. I'm wondering if there's anything I can do to fix
> this...it hasn't really affected my browsing capabilities but it's just
> sort
> of weird and annoying. Could this be a virus? I've got Norton Internet
> Security running and that hasn't helped with the image loading.
>
> Thanks in advance!

I go through this all the time. I still can't get eBay to show up properly.
The eBay banners and buttons are still blocked with red X's, but I have had
luck on other web sites by doing the following.

1. If you have a hosts file, try temporarily renaming hosts to hostsX. Then
go online and see if that helps. If it does, try to track down which entry
in your hosts file is blocking the site. If you want to visit the site
often, consider deleting that entry. If you only need to visit the site once
in a while, put a # in front of the entry in the hosts file. To have hosts
block the site once again, remove the #.

2. If that does not help, and you have ZoneAlarm firewall, try adjusting the
privacy settings for that site.

3. If that does not help, there may be something in your Internet Explorer
Restricted Sites Zone that is blocking the ads. Programs like IE-SPYAD,
Spybot, and SpywareBlaster add sites to the registry.

4. If that does not help, and you have more than one program installed that
adds sites to the registry or maintains its own internal blocklist, try to
figure out which program and which entry is causing the problem.

5. If none of these help, wait for a Microsoft professional to provide some
assistance. I am just an end user.

"j9" <j9@1aprop.com> wrote in message
> You've either got a URL blocker or a hosts file on your system that is
> redirecting the URL of those images to localhost.
>

> "Scorp01" <Scorp01@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Not sure if this question should go here, but I'm running Internet
>> Explorer
>> with Windows XP Prof version 5.1, and have been for a long time. About
>> two
>> weeks ago I started seeing the 'page cannot be displayed' error for
>> certain
>> images in my Yahoo homepage, such as the Yahoo logo and some of the ads.
>> When I surf the net I'll get the page cannot be displayed error for
>> images on
>> other websites as well. I'm wondering if there's anything I can do to
>> fix
>> this...it hasn't really affected my browsing capabilities but it's just
>> sort
>> of weird and annoying. Could this be a virus? I've got Norton Internet
>> Security running and that hasn't helped with the image loading.
>>
>> Thanks in advance!

Thank you SeaMaid. I'll go down the list and try.

:eek:)