new canon pixma ip85XX

scott451

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2005
hi,

i have been looking around for the ultimate canon printer to go with the photos i have been taking with my eos 20d. i have noticed that the ip8500 has an excellent 8-ink printing system and very good reviews.

however, the ip5200 has smaller ink droplets and a variety of other new stuff that the ip8500 seems to be lacking. it makes me think that there is a new ip85XX class printer on the horizon.

does anyone have any news of such a thing ?

scott

Osage

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hi scott451,

I am not sure if you are aware that the new model Canons have chipped cartridges.-----which for many is a curse. Because they shut out the use of third party non-oem cartridges and make refilling difficult--with a minumum of a pile of nag screns and the risk of voiding parts of the warranty.

So many prefer the old style Canons.

For more information about this I recommend you look at the nifty stuff forums or Steves digicams.

But your tip off is----if printer uses the BCI-eblk and the BCI-6 series iof color means printer is not chipped.

If printer use BCI-5 BLK and the CLI-8 series color means printer is chipped. And you also pay $2.25 more for the chip and get a little less ink.

As for me, I am just saying no to the new chipped Canons--but if a workaround is found--and folks have ben working on the problem--
those new Canons are slightly better technology.

Its your money and your call.