check size of local and roaming profiles on multiple PCs

June 15, 2005 2:27:18 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Hi,

Is there any command line tool or other utility that I could use(mabye
through a script) to generate all profile sizes for local and roaming
profiles throughout the domain? If there would be a way to also add the
modified date of each profile listed that would be helpful as well.

I want to implement the policy that limits profile sizes, but minimize the
impact of all the local profile users seeing errors pop up.

Thanks,
Mike
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 2:27:19 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

The first thing I would do is get ahold of LS from the unix4dos utility set.
That will give you all the information you want, from which you could build
yourself a batch file to take action....

"Mike" <mike008us@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:o 06f46bcFHA.796@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Hi,
>
> Is there any command line tool or other utility that I could use(mabye
> through a script) to generate all profile sizes for local and roaming
> profiles throughout the domain? If there would be a way to also add the
> modified date of each profile listed that would be helpful as well.
>
> I want to implement the policy that limits profile sizes, but minimize the
> impact of all the local profile users seeing errors pop up.
>
> Thanks,
> Mike

June 15, 2005 3:05:59 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

How do you intend to use the LS command to do work for a script for this? I
looked at the switch and the only one that looked like it might total a
directory would be -s, however that would add up all directories and files
in the profile directory and not just the ones counted towards the profile.
In other words, I think this would include temporary files and the such that
are not counted as part of the profile.

Thanks,
Mike

"j9" <j9@1aprop.com> wrote in message
> The first thing I would do is get ahold of LS from the unix4dos utility
> set. That will give you all the information you want, from which you could
> build yourself a batch file to take action....
>

> "Mike" <mike008us@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:o 06f46bcFHA.796@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>> Hi,
>>
>> Is there any command line tool or other utility that I could use(mabye
>> through a script) to generate all profile sizes for local and roaming
>> profiles throughout the domain? If there would be a way to also add the
>> modified date of each profile listed that would be helpful as well.
>>
>> I want to implement the policy that limits profile sizes, but minimize
>> the impact of all the local profile users seeing errors pop up.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Mike

Anonymous
June 15, 2005 4:16:14 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I'd write a script that runs ls -las to sort the profile directories by
size, awk for the names of the top 5 offenders, and deltrees those
directories....

Or, as is my preference, jsut use the file finder to locate all instances of
"Temporary Internet Folder" and delete those directories (as they usually
are the largest folders in any improperly designed profile).

!