Display "Tip of the Day" in Lab Computers

June 15, 2005 12:43:06 PM

I have multiple computer labs and would like to display tips to the users.
Since it is an educational environment, we don't have time to train all of
the users about software and resources available to the users. I would like
to createt a database of "Tips" such as how to get their network drives
mapped on their home computers, what printers are available, etc... and have
it cycle through these tips each time a user logs on, or even daily or
weekly.

I am considering creating a html webpage which will do this, and then
setting this as the background on the computers (using active desktop). The
problem with this is that it can't be too 'busy' and the icons still have to
'look good' over the top of it, which would mean probably having a textbox on
the right side and then leaving the left blank for icons. I want it to be
non-intrusive (no click OK to close tip) kind of sublimital messaging...a
backgound text file, or maybe a windows tip that will pop up for the first 15
seconds and then go away.

Does anybody else have a better solution than a webpage set as background?

Thanks for your suggestions,
Jason Ryon
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 4:12:22 PM

The "Message of the Day" service in the Networking Services component might
be of some help to you...

"Jason Ryon" <JasonRyon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have multiple computer labs and would like to display tips to the users.
> Since it is an educational environment, we don't have time to train all of
> the users about software and resources available to the users. I would
like
> to createt a database of "Tips" such as how to get their network drives
> mapped on their home computers, what printers are available, etc... and
have
> it cycle through these tips each time a user logs on, or even daily or
> weekly.
>
> I am considering creating a html webpage which will do this, and then
> setting this as the background on the computers (using active desktop).
The
> problem with this is that it can't be too 'busy' and the icons still have
> 'look good' over the top of it, which would mean probably having a textbox
on
> the right side and then leaving the left blank for icons. I want it to
be
> non-intrusive (no click OK to close tip) kind of sublimital messaging...a
> backgound text file, or maybe a windows tip that will pop up for the first
15
> seconds and then go away.
>
> Does anybody else have a better solution than a webpage set as background?
>
> Thanks for your suggestions,
> Jason Ryon
June 15, 2005 9:01:45 PM

Would probably be better to use a package like Visual Basic, to design a
simple form, and pop it up as you choose.

Jon

!