WinXP clean install on SATA - hangs when reboot

I have a SATA drive connected through a Silicon Image SATA controller card to
the MB (Asus-CUV4X-C). Performing a clean install on this drive without
problem going through the PF6 step of installing the SATA driver in the
floppy disk. XP has copied all the files and re-boot to complete the
installation. When re-boot, the system hangs with a blank screen. Have
changed BIOS to boot from the "SCSI bootable device" and same problem. I can
hear XP access the SATA drive for 2 seconds than hang. Anyone knows what I
can do from here?

PS: I have connect the SATA drive to another computer that boots and saw
that XP has installed ONLY a WINDOWS folder (with a lot of files) to this
SATA drive.
3 answers Last reply
More about winxp clean install sata hangs reboot

    I have the Asus-CUV4X-C in another PC and since it is a P3 board with no SATA
    connectors, I'll assume that you have some kind of add on SATA card.

    I recently had a similar problem on a P4 board. The problem was caused by
    using two different types of memory. Kingston HyperX and lesser Kingston
    ValueRAM (both DDR400). I removed the ValueRAM and XP booted properly. I was
    able to put the ValueRAM back in after Windows was configured and updated.

    The problem may be hardware related. Try booting with the minimal hardware
    installed. If you are using a SATA card, maybe that is the problem.
    --
    That's just like my opinion, Man........

    "PatL" wrote:

    > I have a SATA drive connected through a Silicon Image SATA controller card to
    > the MB (Asus-CUV4X-C). Performing a clean install on this drive without
    > problem going through the PF6 step of installing the SATA driver in the
    > floppy disk. XP has copied all the files and re-boot to complete the
    > installation. When re-boot, the system hangs with a blank screen. Have
    > changed BIOS to boot from the "SCSI bootable device" and same problem. I can
    > hear XP access the SATA drive for 2 seconds than hang. Anyone knows what I
    > can do from here?
    >
    > PS: I have connect the SATA drive to another computer that boots and saw
    > that XP has installed ONLY a WINDOWS folder (with a lot of files) to this
    > SATA drive.

    I think this model of SATA/MB needs a custom HAl to be installed during the
    OS installation....

    "uggabugga" <uggabugga@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I have the Asus-CUV4X-C in another PC and since it is a P3 board with no
    SATA
    > connectors, I'll assume that you have some kind of add on SATA card.
    >
    > I recently had a similar problem on a P4 board. The problem was caused by
    > using two different types of memory. Kingston HyperX and lesser Kingston
    > ValueRAM (both DDR400). I removed the ValueRAM and XP booted properly. I
    was
    > able to put the ValueRAM back in after Windows was configured and updated.
    >
    > The problem may be hardware related. Try booting with the minimal hardware
    > installed. If you are using a SATA card, maybe that is the problem.
    > --
    > That's just like my opinion, Man........
    >

    > "PatL" wrote:
    >
    > > I have a SATA drive connected through a Silicon Image SATA controller
    card to
    > > the MB (Asus-CUV4X-C). Performing a clean install on this drive without
    > > problem going through the PF6 step of installing the SATA driver in the
    > > floppy disk. XP has copied all the files and re-boot to complete the
    > > installation. When re-boot, the system hangs with a blank screen. Have
    > > changed BIOS to boot from the "SCSI bootable device" and same problem. I
    can
    > > hear XP access the SATA drive for 2 seconds than hang. Anyone knows what
    > > can do from here?
    > >
    > > PS: I have connect the SATA drive to another computer that boots and saw
    > > that XP has installed ONLY a WINDOWS folder (with a lot of files) to
    this
    > > SATA drive.

    Execuse me for my limited knowledge, what is "custom HAl" in your message?
    thanks.

    "j9" wrote:

    > I think this model of SATA/MB needs a custom HAl to be installed during the
    > OS installation....
    >
    > "uggabugga" <uggabugga@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

SATA Clean Install Windows XP