Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

strange files in c drive

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 2:26:06 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

This is probably a really stupid question, but in my C drive, I have a few
strange folders, they are □indows, windûws, wind□ws and finally Ŷindows. What
on earth are these? Should I be concerned, ie. delete the buggers or are
these some strange microsoft folders. Thanks in advance for the help....

More about : strange files drive

Anonymous
June 15, 2005 5:50:20 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Check for Hijackware
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/Darnit.htm
http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/Malware_Defence.htm
http://defendingyourmachine.blogspot.com/

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security

studubai wrote:
> This is probably a really stupid question, but in my C drive, I have a few
> strange folders, they are □indows, windûws, wind□ws and finally Ŷindows.
> What on earth are these? Should I be concerned, ie. delete the buggers or
> are these some strange microsoft folders. Thanks in advance for the
> help....
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 10:40:03 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

"studubai" <studubai@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:571A05C0-0CBA-4219-8158-33FB01F150EE@microsoft.com...
> This is probably a really stupid question, but in my C drive, I have a few
> strange folders, they are ?indows, windûws, wind?ws and finally Yindows.
> What
> on earth are these? Should I be concerned, ie. delete the buggers or are
> these some strange microsoft folders. Thanks in advance for the help....

Try running scandisk to look for and fix any corrupt files and entries. Or
Norton Utilities if you have it.
Related resources
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 10:40:04 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Don't seem to be infected with anything, regulary run spybot and only finds a
few 'dodgy' cookies, checked out with some other sites you suggested, seem to
be clean, ports well protected etc.

Regulary run scandisk (weekly) along with norton utilities (again the full
package weekly!)
Any further suggestions?

"Alan Smith" wrote:

>
> "studubai" <studubai@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:571A05C0-0CBA-4219-8158-33FB01F150EE@microsoft.com...
> > This is probably a really stupid question, but in my C drive, I have a few
> > strange folders, they are ?indows, windûws, wind?ws and finally Yindows.
> > What
> > on earth are these? Should I be concerned, ie. delete the buggers or are
> > these some strange microsoft folders. Thanks in advance for the help....
>
> Try running scandisk to look for and fix any corrupt files and entries. Or
> Norton Utilities if you have it.
>
>
>
Anonymous
June 16, 2005 5:31:32 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Rename the directories. See if anything complains it can't find files or
won't run. If everything runs properly delete them, they may be gliches like
switching the computer off rather than shutting it down, the cache not
clearing properly, temporary directories by one of your programs etc.


"studubai" <studubai@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:FF171810-51ED-46D6-AC3F-9971181600B2@microsoft.com...
> Don't seem to be infected with anything, regulary run spybot and only
> finds a
> few 'dodgy' cookies, checked out with some other sites you suggested, seem
> to
> be clean, ports well protected etc.
>
> Regulary run scandisk (weekly) along with norton utilities (again the full
> package weekly!)
> Any further suggestions?
>
> "Alan Smith" wrote:
>
>>
>> "studubai" <studubai@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:571A05C0-0CBA-4219-8158-33FB01F150EE@microsoft.com...
>> > This is probably a really stupid question, but in my C drive, I have a
>> > few
>> > strange folders, they are ?indows, windûws, wind?ws and finally
>> > Yindows.
>> > What
>> > on earth are these? Should I be concerned, ie. delete the buggers or
>> > are
>> > these some strange microsoft folders. Thanks in advance for the
>> > help....
>>
>> Try running scandisk to look for and fix any corrupt files and entries.
>> Or
>> Norton Utilities if you have it.
>>
>>
>>
!