Should i get blu ray drive for my dell studio 15?

aceatch

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
hi, ive brought the dell studio 1535 about a year ago now with specs of:

Windows 7 home premium
Intel Core 2 Duo T5800
3Gb DDR2 Ram
ATI Radeon mobility HD 3450

at the moment i have a CD/DVD slot drive and now planning on buying a blu ray drive from ebay. the link for that is: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Dell-Studio-1...pAccessories_LaptopDrives?hash=item5ad6b33533
Also recently i had my screen replaced with a full HD 1920X1080 (Im soo chuffed with it!!!) when my old screen started flickering.

the drive along with HDMI cable will be roughly £90 and was wondering if it would be worth it and also if it will be compatible with my laptop?

Im generally quite good with computer so i would know how to fit the component.

I would also be using it for connecting it to my 32" HDTV and using it when traveling as im a student.

Any answers will be appreciated, thanks!

If it fits your model, then there should be instructions on replacing the optical drive in either the uder guide manuals or online. Usually it's a punch of pins and clips and the old drive slides out, and then the new drive slides in and should click into place.

Compatability is usually based on bay type, check the type of bay your DELL uses and the type the drive on eBay uses, same type and it should be fine since it will simply send the data and the CPU and GPU will decode along with your BR software.

Hoodini

Distinguished
May 22, 2010
I own a studio 1640 XPS and before that it was a 1540 XPS and my studio is t9600 processor and 8 mg of ram with the same video card you have, and windows 7 as well as vista premium on the previuos model, I purchased each computer with Blu ray drive, and dell is unable to make it play without skipping, they have repalced two drives and two mother boards and updated 8.3 on power dvd software, its up to you if want to put out the money, on by the way it plays hd dvd's just fine. Now dell wants to re format my hard drive, I read somewhere where power dvd has a version 9 that possibly might fix the problem but dell doeesn't offer it in there support, very frustrated, it does act like it is buffering but not sure because my system has plenty of memory who knows maybe the graphics card is not high enough quality to run blu-ray discs I wish someone out there can figure it out, oh by the way if you think you can ask cyberlink for help forget they only take internet questions and they don't reply even though there are less than 400 miles from me.