Automatic Updates

For Win XP, what Services need to be running for Automatic Updates to work
properly?

I get notices that Updates are ready for download, but they never download,
like 7 yesterday.
4 answers Last reply
More about automatic updates

    Go to Administrative Tools then Services. Make sure the Automatic Updates
    service is set to Automatic and that it is started. I'm not sure but I've
    read that Background Intelligent Transfer Service also is utilized. Make sure
    it is set to manual and that it is not started.

    If they are set properly and it still doesn't work, you may want to use the
    System Filechecker. Type sfc /scannow in the Run box. If it has problems
    finding the necessary files, you may have to copy the i386 folder from the XP
    CD to your C:Drive. By default XP looks in C\:i386 for these files. If your
    PC has SP2 and the original CD only has SP1, you may have to manually install
    SP2 again to get all the bugs worked out.

    The sfc command seems to fix a number of different problems without having
    to go through a repair install or reformat of the drive. It saves a lot of
    time.
    --
    That's just like my opinion, Man........

    "Pete" wrote:

    > For Win XP, what Services need to be running for Automatic Updates to work
    > properly?
    >
    > I get notices that Updates are ready for download, but they never download,
    > like 7 yesterday.

    Have you configured Automatic Updates to notify you of available updates but
    not to automatically download or install them?

    How to configure and use Automatic Updates in Windows XP:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=306525

    Can you download/install them via http://v6.windowsupdate.microsoft.com?
    --
    ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security

    Pete wrote:
    > For Win XP, what Services need to be running for Automatic Updates to work
    > properly?
    >
    > I get notices that Updates are ready for download, but they never
    > download,
    > like 7 yesterday.

    Automatic Updates is on Automatic and started.
    BITS is on Manual and not started.

    Ran sfc /scannow. I have a slipstream SP2 disk which sfc required. Don't
    know if it did anything. It accessed the CD many times. No report was
    generated/displayed. So I assume nothing was found amiss.

    Decided to run Windows Update, and it worked, so I guess I will be using
    that only. BITS started successfully during the download portion of the
    Windows Update Install.

    Pete wrote:
    > Automatic Updates is on Automatic and started.
    > BITS is on Manual and not started.
    >
    > Ran sfc /scannow. I have a slipstream SP2 disk which sfc required.
    > Don't know if it did anything. It accessed the CD many times. No
    > report was generated/displayed. So I assume nothing was found amiss.
    >
    > Decided to run Windows Update, and it worked, so I guess I will be
    > using that only. BITS started successfully during the download
    > portion of the Windows Update Install.

    Both Automatic Update and even Windows Update add an extra unnecessary
    layer that can go wrong during the patching process, it is best to learn
    how take responsibility for patching yourself, and cut out the
    unnecessary layers.

    http://microscum.com/comsense/

    --
    Peace!