Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Automatic Updates

Tags:
  • Download
  • Microsoft
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Windows XP
Share
June 15, 2005 6:15:09 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

For Win XP, what Services need to be running for Automatic Updates to work
properly?

I get notices that Updates are ready for download, but they never download,
like 7 yesterday.

More about : automatic updates

Anonymous
June 15, 2005 6:52:14 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Go to Administrative Tools then Services. Make sure the Automatic Updates
service is set to Automatic and that it is started. I'm not sure but I've
read that Background Intelligent Transfer Service also is utilized. Make sure
it is set to manual and that it is not started.

If they are set properly and it still doesn't work, you may want to use the
System Filechecker. Type sfc /scannow in the Run box. If it has problems
finding the necessary files, you may have to copy the i386 folder from the XP
CD to your C:D rive. By default XP looks in C\:i386 for these files. If your
PC has SP2 and the original CD only has SP1, you may have to manually install
SP2 again to get all the bugs worked out.

The sfc command seems to fix a number of different problems without having
to go through a repair install or reformat of the drive. It saves a lot of
time.
--
That's just like my opinion, Man........


"Pete" wrote:

> For Win XP, what Services need to be running for Automatic Updates to work
> properly?
>
> I get notices that Updates are ready for download, but they never download,
> like 7 yesterday.
>
>
>
>
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 8:40:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Have you configured Automatic Updates to notify you of available updates but
not to automatically download or install them?

How to configure and use Automatic Updates in Windows XP:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=306525

Can you download/install them via http://v6.windowsupdate.microsoft.com?
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security

Pete wrote:
> For Win XP, what Services need to be running for Automatic Updates to work
> properly?
>
> I get notices that Updates are ready for download, but they never
> download,
> like 7 yesterday.
Related resources
June 16, 2005 12:01:32 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Automatic Updates is on Automatic and started.
BITS is on Manual and not started.

Ran sfc /scannow. I have a slipstream SP2 disk which sfc required. Don't
know if it did anything. It accessed the CD many times. No report was
generated/displayed. So I assume nothing was found amiss.

Decided to run Windows Update, and it worked, so I guess I will be using
that only. BITS started successfully during the download portion of the
Windows Update Install.


"uggabugga" <uggabugga@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:E47CB908-8F3E-401D-BA47-2846B1D34860@microsoft.com...
> Go to Administrative Tools then Services. Make sure the Automatic Updates
> service is set to Automatic and that it is started. I'm not sure but I've
> read that Background Intelligent Transfer Service also is utilized. Make
> sure
> it is set to manual and that it is not started.
>
> If they are set properly and it still doesn't work, you may want to use
> the
> System Filechecker. Type sfc /scannow in the Run box. If it has problems
> finding the necessary files, you may have to copy the i386 folder from the
> XP
> CD to your C:D rive. By default XP looks in C\:i386 for these files. If
> your
> PC has SP2 and the original CD only has SP1, you may have to manually
> install
> SP2 again to get all the bugs worked out.
>
> The sfc command seems to fix a number of different problems without having
> to go through a repair install or reformat of the drive. It saves a lot of
> time.
> --
> That's just like my opinion, Man........
>
>
> "Pete" wrote:
>
>> For Win XP, what Services need to be running for Automatic Updates to
>> work
>> properly?
>>
>> I get notices that Updates are ready for download, but they never
>> download,
>> like 7 yesterday.
>>
>>
>>
>>
Anonymous
June 16, 2005 1:58:43 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Pete wrote:
> Automatic Updates is on Automatic and started.
> BITS is on Manual and not started.
>
> Ran sfc /scannow. I have a slipstream SP2 disk which sfc required.
> Don't know if it did anything. It accessed the CD many times. No
> report was generated/displayed. So I assume nothing was found amiss.
>
> Decided to run Windows Update, and it worked, so I guess I will be
> using that only. BITS started successfully during the download
> portion of the Windows Update Install.

Both Automatic Update and even Windows Update add an extra unnecessary
layer that can go wrong during the patching process, it is best to learn
how take responsibility for patching yourself, and cut out the
unnecessary layers.

http://microscum.com/comsense/

--
Peace!
Kurt
Self-anointed Moderator
microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
http://microscum.com/mscommunity
"Trustworthy Computing" is only another example of an Oxymoron!
"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"
!