Sign in with
Your question

laptop hard disk upgrade HELP

Last response: in Storage
February 2, 2004 3:32:36 PM

i own a 2 year old fujitsu siemens notebook and i want to upgrade its 20GB 4200rpm hard disc with a 60 GB 7200 rpm(hitachi travelstar...).is this possible?is my laptop compatible with such an upgrade?is it better using an upgrade kit,for example apricorn's ez upgrade kit?thanks!
February 2, 2004 3:36:52 PM

You'll need to check out if the PC BIOS supports that large disks. If is doesn't perhaps you can get a BIOS update from the manufacturers website. Other than that, I don't see any problems in simply buying a new drive and replace the old one.

<i><b>Engineering is the fine art of making what you want from things you can get</b></i>
February 4, 2004 11:55:35 AM

thank you for replying.the problem is that from my bios i can not figure out whether it supports larges hard disks or not.
Related resources
February 5, 2004 2:45:04 AM

LOL, BIOS doesn't tell you. You have to search out the information, use the internet as a tool.

Hehe, I just said tool, hehe.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
February 6, 2004 5:38:28 PM

i found out.the new hard disk is compatible with my bios and has the same dimensions with the old hard disk.so can i be sure now that the new one will do the job?
February 6, 2004 9:44:32 PM

It will. The only size difference between drives is thickness, so it should fit fine if it has the same dimensions. And the only compatability issue is drive size limits in BIOS, so as long as BIOS supports that size (or larger) you're fine.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
February 12, 2004 12:13:53 AM

to be precise i found out that the new hard disk supports my current bios and not that my bios supports larger hard disk.its the same thing right?
February 12, 2004 12:24:33 AM

Nope. Hard drives don't support controllers, controllers support hard drives. If the drive manufacturer says it's compatable with your system, what they mean to say is that your system supports it.

!