Online games, help please

Last response: in Video Games
January 22, 2005 12:31:01 PM

Please help, i cant play ANY online games, warcraft, age of mytology, half
life 2, i need desperate help,
its not bacause of a firewall because they dont work even when its turned off.
i think it started when i updated to the windows service pack 2, but
uninstallling this didnt help, im starting to get desperate as my newly
purhcased half life 2 wont work because you need to connect to register to
play.

More about : online games

Anonymous
January 22, 2005 3:42:15 PM

Hi Teckno,

"Teckno" <Teckno@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CD50F760-FE90-4A8E-A40E-120939D77DD3@microsoft.com...
> Please help, i cant play ANY online games, warcraft, age of mytology, half
> life 2, i need desperate help,
> its not bacause of a firewall because they dont work even when its turned off.
> i think it started when i updated to the windows service pack 2, but
> uninstallling this didnt help, im starting to get desperate as my newly
> purhcased half life 2 wont work because you need to connect to register to
> play.

I don't want to overwhelm you with information, nor do I want to make you
wait for more suggestions if my first instincts are incorrect. For this reason,
here's a fairly complete checklist of solutions, which should solve the problem.

Remember, if there is a step that you feel unsure about, we are here to help
you. Just post your questions and we'll do our very best to help you further.

A new section for Windows XP Service Pack 2 issues has been added.
With that said, here's the checklist of troubleshooting steps for you! :-)

HOW TO IMPROVE YOUR CONNECTION:

1. Run this SPEED TEST: http://bandwidthplace.com/speedtest/

2. Download the TCP Optimizer Utility: http://www.speedguide.net/files/TCPOptimizer.exe

3. Double click the program to start it:

4. Select the type of connection you're using: DSL, Dialup, DSL (PPPoE),
or Cable, then click "Optimal settings", click Apply changes, and click Exit.

5. Reboot and run the SPEED TEST again. Notice any improvement? If not,
then the Internet "highway" that you're using may be under heavy traffic or
construction. I have a webpage you can use to examine that possibility:
http://www3.sympatico.ca/nibblesnbits/TraceRoute.html

WINDOWS XP SERVICE PACK 2:
Microsoft Published some articles to resolve SP2 gaming issues:
1. http://support.microsoft.com//kb/875363
and 2. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/842242

I've found that some solutions which have worked so far which includes:

1. Update your Video Drivers:
http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits/Video

2. Update your System Drivers:
http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits/Video.html#v11

3. Adjust your BIOS Settings:
Set AGP Aperture size in bios to 128
Go to your AGP settings and make sure it is set to the highest
AGP aperture, AGP fastwrite enabled, AGP writes, reads and
synchronization enabled. There's more ideas linked directly here:
http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits/Video.html#v15 (try the other steps too).

4. Check for a game update

5. Update your BIOS firmware.

Additional Resources:

Deploying Windows Firewall Settings for Microsoft Windows XP with Service Pack 2

Manually Configuring Windows Firewall in Windows XP Service Pack 2
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/columns/cabl...

ADDITIONAL CONNECTIVITY TIPS:

1. Extra items in your Networking Properties Components list may confuse and
delay your system while it's connecting as it has to choose which component to
transfer the data through. Solution: Remove unnecessary network Components.
If you don't use dial up, replace "Dial Up Adapter" with "Network Adapter" in:
these instructions: http://www.oregoncoast.com/configuration/ConfigNetwork....
* If you don't use a Dialup Modem, delete it. In 99% of cases VPN components
aren't used, so you can safely delete those as well.

2. Advanced Users should Reinstall ICS and Networking Components:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q263276 Or..
another advice would be to simply unplug the computer, remove the card
you connect to the internet with, and then restart the computer to verify that there
is no longer anything installed in the Control Panel / Networking section.
Once done power off, unplug, reinstall the card, and create a new connection.

3. Lag/Latency can be caused by your Modem or Network Cards and by other
programs running on your system. Firewalls and even AntiVirus programs have
been know to slow a connection down. You can disable startup programs using the
method explained at: http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.htm.

4. Run a virus scan at: http://housecall.antivirus.com Afterwards
Download & Run Spybot from: http://security.kolla.de and/or
Adaware (www.lavasoftusa.com) to remove any Spyware/Adware.

5. If you use a Router, or similar networking/internet sharing device, check for
firmware updates. There's been a lot of improvements with the release of DX 9.0b
which you should download and install from: www.microsoft.com/directx

IF DISCONNECTED WHILE PLAYING:

1. Disconnects can be caused by your Modem or Network Cards and by other
programs running on your system. See above for help disabling those programs.

2. Another reason for disconnects could be an external router or modem that has
overheated. Try unplugging it for awhile, and contact your ISP to see if they have
a newer model if the problem keeps recurring.

3. Check for IRQ sharing: Click START / Run / type: msinfo32 / ENTER
Expand + Hardware Resources / Click on IRQ and notice if the sound card, video
card(s), and modem/network cards share the same IRQ. If they do, move them into
different slots, to prevent bottlenecks caused by too much traffic on the same IRQ.

4. Further to step 3., Make certain that your Network adapter or Internal Modem
is not in the slot directly beside the graphics card, as those two must be separate.

ADDITIONAL RESOURCES:

More information on the topic of online gaming connections is available at:

http://NibblesNbitsConnect.tk my site and the reference for this reply to you includes
Ports listings, Router configuration settings, ICS, DSL, Cable and Networking help.

Dialup Tips: http://www.56k.com/trouble/#disconn
Zone.com Dialup Tips: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q228564

Hope that's been of help, please let me know how it went. :-)

--
Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

January 22, 2005 3:42:16 PM

Thnx for replyin so fast but iv looked at pretty much all of this and it
seems the only way to fix it is to uninstall sp2, but since that ddnt work do
u htink intsalling it and uninstalling it a different way, incase it missed
any file, otherwise im screwed, like many other gamers out there.
January 23, 2005 4:00:35 AM

"Teckno" wrote ...

> Thnx for replyin so fast but iv looked at pretty much all of this and it
> seems the only way to fix it is to uninstall sp2, but since that ddnt work
do
> u htink intsalling it and uninstalling it a different way, incase it
missed
> any file, otherwise im screwed, like many other gamers out there.

You didn't mentioned which version of Windows, but I'm assuming you refer to
Windows XP - have you tried looking at the personal firewall it installs as
opposed to what I assume is your hardware firewall, I think this was one of
the main additions in SP2 for Windows XP. Do you have any other software
firewalls running in addition?

I've played a few games recently where this would cause the game to fail to
load, however, *if* it dropped me back into Windows (and didn't just hang) I
could usually see the dialogue box asking you whether to allow the program
to run or not (due to a connection to the Internet request).

Regards

Rob
Anonymous
January 23, 2005 8:41:01 AM

i really dont think its a firewall proplem, since i DONT have any other than
the windows one, and when that is turned off its still dosn't work.
!