serial and model numbers

I know the sticker on the back of your PC has the model of serial numbers but
is there a place in the computer that gives you that information?
10 answers Last reply
More about serial model numbers

    The Belarc Advisor can pull up that info and a lot more.

    [[The Belarc Advisor builds a detailed profile of your installed software
    and hardware, including Microsoft Hotfixes, and displays the results in your
    Web browser.]]

    Belarc Advisor - Free Personal PC Audit (version 7.0m)

    So can aida32.

    Aida32 ver. 3.93
    http://www.aumha.org/freeware/freeware.php#everest

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:D0649B05-EEA8-44C0-B14B-157E9445D846@microsoft.com,
    Becky <Becky@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > I know the sticker on the back of your PC has the model of serial numbers
    > but is there a place in the computer that gives you that information?

    In the case of IBM machines, this info appears in BIOS.. no idea about other
    makes..

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/User

    it all to themselves." - Lane Kirkland

    "Becky" <Becky@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I know the sticker on the back of your PC has the model of serial numbers
    >but
    > is there a place in the computer that gives you that information?

    Perhaps either or both, the Bel Arc Advisor or EVEREST are
    what the OP is looking for.
    BelArc shows this for my computer...
    Board: Intel Corporation D845GBV AAA84538-205
    Serial Number: ABBV22610443
    Bus Clock: 100 megahertz
    BIOS: Intel Corp. RG84510A.86A.0033.P17.0307141128
    There is more info, including software PK and install
    numbers.

    On my son's computer it shows the Dell Service Tag

    Bel Arc free at www.belarc.com
    EVEREST free at www.lavalys.com

    some support

    "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in
    message news:OsDohpdcFHA.2664@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
    | In the case of IBM machines, this info appears in BIOS..
    no idea about other
    | makes..
    |
    | --
    | Mike Hall
    | MVP - Windows Shell/User
    |
    | "If hard work were such a wonderful thing, surely the rich
    would have kept
    | it all to themselves." - Lane Kirkland
    |

    | "Becky" <Becky@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | >I know the sticker on the back of your PC has the model
    of serial numbers
    | >but
    | > is there a place in the computer that gives you that
    information?

    Jim

    Both of those programs show make and model of internal parts.. I am not
    overly convinced that a system manufacturer would necessarily use mb
    manufacturer info to designate their systems..

    --

    > Perhaps either or both, the Bel Arc Advisor or EVEREST are
    > what the OP is looking for.
    > BelArc shows this for my computer...
    > Board: Intel Corporation D845GBV AAA84538-205
    > Serial Number: ABBV22610443
    > Bus Clock: 100 megahertz
    > BIOS: Intel Corp. RG84510A.86A.0033.P17.0307141128
    > There is more info, including software PK and install
    > numbers.
    >
    > On my son's computer it shows the Dell Service Tag
    >
    > Bel Arc free at www.belarc.com
    > EVEREST free at www.lavalys.com

    > some support
    > http://www.usdoj.gov/olc/secondamendment2.htm
    >

    > "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in
    > message news:OsDohpdcFHA.2664@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
    > | In the case of IBM machines, this info appears in BIOS..
    > no idea about other
    > | makes..
    > |
    > | --
    > | Mike Hall
    > | MVP - Windows Shell/User
    > |
    > | "If hard work were such a wonderful thing, surely the rich
    > would have kept
    > | it all to themselves." - Lane Kirkland
    > |

    > | "Becky" <Becky@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > | >I know the sticker on the back of your PC has the model
    > of serial numbers
    > | >but
    > | > is there a place in the computer that gives you that
    > information?

    Mike,

    Belarc Advisor shows:

    System Model
    Gateway G6-450
    System Serial Number: 00xx555910
    Chassis Serial Number: 00xx555910
    Enclosure Type: Mini-Tower

    AIDA32 shows:

    Chassis Properties
    Manufacturer Gateway
    Serial Number 00xx555910
    Chassis Type Mini Tower

    System Properties
    Manufacturer Gateway
    Product G6-450
    Serial Number 00xx555910
    Universal Unique ID xx920BE1-DB1DB2xx-xx00D4AB-9DxxFA9C

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:OQ4Kr$ecFHA.3464@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
    Mike Hall (MS-MVP) <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> hunted and pecked:
    > Jim
    >
    > Both of those programs show make and model of internal parts.. I am not
    > overly convinced that a system manufacturer would necessarily use mb
    > manufacturer info to designate their systems..
    >

    > --
    > Mike Hall
    > MVP - Windows Shell/User
    >
    > "If hard work were such a wonderful thing, surely the rich would have kept
    > it all to themselves." - Lane Kirkland
    >

    > "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote in message
    >> Perhaps either or both, the Bel Arc Advisor or EVEREST are
    >> what the OP is looking for.
    >> BelArc shows this for my computer...
    >> Board: Intel Corporation D845GBV AAA84538-205
    >> Serial Number: ABBV22610443
    >> Bus Clock: 100 megahertz
    >> BIOS: Intel Corp. RG84510A.86A.0033.P17.0307141128
    >> There is more info, including software PK and install
    >> numbers.
    >>
    >> On my son's computer it shows the Dell Service Tag
    >>
    >> Bel Arc free at www.belarc.com
    >> EVEREST free at www.lavalys.com
    >>

    >> --
    >> The people think the Constitution protects their rights;
    >> But government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.
    >> some support
    >> http://www.usdoj.gov/olc/secondamendment2.htm
    >>

    >> "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in
    >> message news:OsDohpdcFHA.2664@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
    >>> In the case of IBM machines, this info appears in BIOS..
    >> no idea about other
    >>> makes..
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Mike Hall
    >>> MVP - Windows Shell/User
    >>>
    >>> "If hard work were such a wonderful thing, surely the rich
    >> would have kept
    >>> it all to themselves." - Lane Kirkland
    >>>

    >>> "Becky" <Becky@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> of serial numbers

    "Becky" <Becky@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I know the sticker on the back of your PC has the model of serial numbers
    >but
    > is there a place in the computer that gives you that information?

    Do you mean the sticker with the XP serial on? It comes with the install CD
    and you stick it where you want to. Some manufacturers may stick it in a
    particular place- ask your computer maker if they do so, and where.
    Otherwise it would probably be with the documents you got with the machine.

    Wes, and Jim if you are looking in

    That's good to know.. I run clones (no makes), and worked mainly with IBM
    computers.. their serials show in the IBM BIOS..

    I have never run Belarc or Everest on anything that wasn't a clone in order
    to look for serials.. I was always looking for other stuff.. now I have
    another piece of info to paste into OneNote..

    Thanks Guys..

    --

    > Mike,
    >
    > Belarc Advisor shows:
    >
    > System Model
    > Gateway G6-450
    > System Serial Number: 00xx555910
    > Chassis Serial Number: 00xx555910
    > Enclosure Type: Mini-Tower
    >
    > AIDA32 shows:
    >
    > Chassis Properties
    > Manufacturer Gateway
    > Serial Number 00xx555910
    > Chassis Type Mini Tower
    >
    > System Properties
    > Manufacturer Gateway
    > Product G6-450
    > Serial Number 00xx555910
    > Universal Unique ID xx920BE1-DB1DB2xx-xx00D4AB-9DxxFA9C
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:OQ4Kr$ecFHA.3464@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
    > Mike Hall (MS-MVP) <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> hunted and pecked:
    >> Jim
    >>
    >> Both of those programs show make and model of internal parts.. I am not
    >> overly convinced that a system manufacturer would necessarily use mb
    >> manufacturer info to designate their systems..
    >>

    >> --
    >> Mike Hall
    >> MVP - Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> "If hard work were such a wonderful thing, surely the rich would have
    >> kept
    >> it all to themselves." - Lane Kirkland
    >>

    >> "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote in message
    >>> Perhaps either or both, the Bel Arc Advisor or EVEREST are
    >>> what the OP is looking for.
    >>> BelArc shows this for my computer...
    >>> Board: Intel Corporation D845GBV AAA84538-205
    >>> Serial Number: ABBV22610443
    >>> Bus Clock: 100 megahertz
    >>> BIOS: Intel Corp. RG84510A.86A.0033.P17.0307141128
    >>> There is more info, including software PK and install
    >>> numbers.
    >>>
    >>> On my son's computer it shows the Dell Service Tag
    >>>
    >>> Bel Arc free at www.belarc.com
    >>> EVEREST free at www.lavalys.com
    >>>

    >>> --
    >>> The people think the Constitution protects their rights;
    >>> But government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.
    >>> some support
    >>> http://www.usdoj.gov/olc/secondamendment2.htm
    >>>

    >>> "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in
    >>> message news:OsDohpdcFHA.2664@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
    >>> no idea about other

    >>> would have kept

    >>> of serial numbers

    You're welcome.

    message news:%23Nvb$GhcFHA.3204@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
    | Wes, and Jim if you are looking in
    |
    | That's good to know.. I run clones (no makes), and worked
    mainly with IBM
    | computers.. their serials show in the IBM BIOS..
    |
    | I have never run Belarc or Everest on anything that wasn't
    a clone in order
    | to look for serials.. I was always looking for other
    stuff.. now I have
    | another piece of info to paste into OneNote..
    |
    | Thanks Guys..
    |
    | --
    | Mike Hall
    | MVP - Windows Shell/User
    |
    | "If hard work were such a wonderful thing, surely the rich
    would have kept
    | it all to themselves." - Lane Kirkland
    |

    | "Wesley Vogel" <123WVogel955@comcast.net> wrote in message
    | > Mike,
    | >
    | > Belarc Advisor shows:
    | >
    | > System Model
    | > Gateway G6-450
    | > System Serial Number: 00xx555910
    | > Chassis Serial Number: 00xx555910
    | > Enclosure Type: Mini-Tower
    | >
    | > AIDA32 shows:
    | >
    | > Chassis Properties
    | > Manufacturer Gateway
    | > Serial Number 00xx555910
    | > Chassis Type Mini Tower
    | >
    | > System Properties
    | > Manufacturer Gateway
    | > Product G6-450
    | > Serial Number 00xx555910
    | > Universal Unique ID xx920BE1-DB1DB2xx-xx00D4AB-9DxxFA9C
    | >
    | > --
    | > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    | >
    | > Wes
    | > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    | >
    | > In news:OQ4Kr$ecFHA.3464@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
    | > Mike Hall (MS-MVP) <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> hunted
    and pecked:
    | >> Jim
    | >>
    | >> Both of those programs show make and model of internal
    parts.. I am not
    | >> overly convinced that a system manufacturer would
    necessarily use mb
    | >> manufacturer info to designate their systems..
    | >>

    | >> --
    | >> Mike Hall
    | >> MVP - Windows Shell/User
    | >>
    | >> "If hard work were such a wonderful thing, surely the
    rich would have
    | >> kept
    | >> it all to themselves." - Lane Kirkland
    | >>

    | >> "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm>
    wrote in message

    rights;

    BIOS..

    One more thing..

    The two have you have saved me scrabbling around the back of machines
    looking for model and serial numbers.. I owe you both a beer for sure..

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/User

    it all to themselves." - Lane Kirkland

    > Mike,
    >
    > Belarc Advisor shows:
    >
    > System Model
    > Gateway G6-450
    > System Serial Number: 00xx555910
    > Chassis Serial Number: 00xx555910
    > Enclosure Type: Mini-Tower
    >
    > AIDA32 shows:
    >
    > Chassis Properties
    > Manufacturer Gateway
    > Serial Number 00xx555910
    > Chassis Type Mini Tower
    >
    > System Properties
    > Manufacturer Gateway
    > Product G6-450
    > Serial Number 00xx555910
    > Universal Unique ID xx920BE1-DB1DB2xx-xx00D4AB-9DxxFA9C
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:OQ4Kr$ecFHA.3464@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
    > Mike Hall (MS-MVP) <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> hunted and pecked:
    >> Jim
    >>
    >> Both of those programs show make and model of internal parts.. I am not
    >> overly convinced that a system manufacturer would necessarily use mb
    >> manufacturer info to designate their systems..
    >>

    >> --
    >> Mike Hall
    >> MVP - Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> "If hard work were such a wonderful thing, surely the rich would have
    >> kept
    >> it all to themselves." - Lane Kirkland
    >>

    >> "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote in message
    >>> Perhaps either or both, the Bel Arc Advisor or EVEREST are
    >>> what the OP is looking for.
    >>> BelArc shows this for my computer...
    >>> Board: Intel Corporation D845GBV AAA84538-205
    >>> Serial Number: ABBV22610443
    >>> Bus Clock: 100 megahertz
    >>> BIOS: Intel Corp. RG84510A.86A.0033.P17.0307141128
    >>> There is more info, including software PK and install
    >>> numbers.
    >>>
    >>> On my son's computer it shows the Dell Service Tag
    >>>
    >>> Bel Arc free at www.belarc.com
    >>> EVEREST free at www.lavalys.com
    >>>

    >>> --
    >>> The people think the Constitution protects their rights;
    >>> But government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.
    >>> some support
    >>> http://www.usdoj.gov/olc/secondamendment2.htm
    >>>

    >>> "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in
    >>> message news:OsDohpdcFHA.2664@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
    >>> no idea about other

    >>> would have kept

    >>> of serial numbers

    My serial number is on the side of the case, but I need a magnifying glass
    to read it.

    Clicking the mouse a couple of times beats getting up to look for the
    magnifying glass *and* bending over. :-D

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User