start menu problem

June 15, 2005 4:15:06 PM

I noticed a problem going to update some spyware type programs to newer
versions or definitions (instead of clicking on the start menu for each
program, opening the specific folder and clicking on the icons). When I right
click on the 'All Programs', the menu has gotten corrupted somehow. It shows
'All Programs' in an empty part above a line, and the 'Open' and 'Explore'
get cut off by something. When I move the mouse over the 'Open' and
'Explore', they are shown.

I took screenshots to show you if it may somehow help:
http://www.leknifragonline.net/dl/xp.jpg
http://www.leknifragonline.net/dl/xp2.jpg

I think it might have been like this since I've had this computer, but never
gotten around to seeing what is wrong.

Thanks, Rob

More about : start menu problem

June 15, 2005 6:03:39 PM

have you tried other user accounts?

this issue may be caused by programs that add items to the context menu
(i.e., Winamp, norton, etc..)

HOW TO: Create and Configure User Accounts in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;279783

if another user account does NOT have the same issue:

How to copy data from a corrupted user profile to a new profile
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;811151

"Robert G" wrote:

> I noticed a problem going to update some spyware type programs to newer
> versions or definitions (instead of clicking on the start menu for each
> program, opening the specific folder and clicking on the icons). When I right
> click on the 'All Programs', the menu has gotten corrupted somehow. It shows
> 'All Programs' in an empty part above a line, and the 'Open' and 'Explore'
> get cut off by something. When I move the mouse over the 'Open' and
> 'Explore', they are shown.
>
> I took screenshots to show you if it may somehow help:
> http://www.leknifragonline.net/dl/xp.jpg
> http://www.leknifragonline.net/dl/xp2.jpg
>

> I think it might have been like this since I've had this computer, but never
> gotten around to seeing what is wrong.
>
> Thanks, Rob
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 7:41:12 PM

One of the Programs has a poorly coded context menu handler.

Have a look here...
Right-click is slow or weird behavior caused by context menu handlers

Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:ADB6551F-1C91-4C11-BEB3-9ED5E052E3C6@microsoft.com,
Robert G <RobertG@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> I noticed a problem going to update some spyware type programs to newer
> versions or definitions (instead of clicking on the start menu for each
> program, opening the specific folder and clicking on the icons). When I
> right click on the 'All Programs', the menu has gotten corrupted somehow.
> It shows 'All Programs' in an empty part above a line, and the 'Open' and
> 'Explore' get cut off by something. When I move the mouse over the 'Open'
> and 'Explore', they are shown.
>
> I took screenshots to show you if it may somehow help:
> http://www.leknifragonline.net/dl/xp.jpg
> http://www.leknifragonline.net/dl/xp2.jpg
>

> I think it might have been like this since I've had this computer, but
> never gotten around to seeing what is wrong.
>
> Thanks, Rob
June 16, 2005 12:49:01 PM

yay wesley! i found the exact same problem on another computer with the same
program installed having the same problem, and disabling an entry solved it.

thanks!

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> One of the Programs has a poorly coded context menu handler.
>
> Have a look here...
> Right-click is slow or weird behavior caused by context menu handlers
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/slowrightclick.htm
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:ADB6551F-1C91-4C11-BEB3-9ED5E052E3C6@microsoft.com,
> Robert G <RobertG@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> > I noticed a problem going to update some spyware type programs to newer
> > versions or definitions (instead of clicking on the start menu for each
> > program, opening the specific folder and clicking on the icons). When I
> > right click on the 'All Programs', the menu has gotten corrupted somehow.
> > It shows 'All Programs' in an empty part above a line, and the 'Open' and
> > 'Explore' get cut off by something. When I move the mouse over the 'Open'
> > and 'Explore', they are shown.
> >
> > I took screenshots to show you if it may somehow help:
> > http://www.leknifragonline.net/dl/xp.jpg
> > http://www.leknifragonline.net/dl/xp2.jpg
> >

> > I think it might have been like this since I've had this computer, but
> > never gotten around to seeing what is wrong.
> >
> > Thanks, Rob

Anonymous
June 16, 2005 2:57:33 PM

Glad to hear it. Keep having fun. :-)