Garritos

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2004
Aften buying a SATA harddrive to use with my new system I realized that my board dosent support it. I am looking at cheap options to hook it up to my system. I have a qusetion about the two options. I am looking at a PCI to SATA controller card or I'll use an IDE to SATA adapter. Will I be able to reach 150Mbs with a PCI card or should I just go with the 133Mbs of my IDE? Which option will give me the fastest transfer rates?

HammerBot

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2002
In either case you are limited to the speed of the drive: 40-50 MB/s. I would prefer the PCI card.

BTW, don't write Mbs (Mega-bit-seconds) when you actually mean MB/s (Mega byte pr. second)

<i><b>Engineering is the fine art of making what you want from things you can get</b></i>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Hehe, there is no drive that transfers 150MB/s. The fastest SATA drives (WD Raptors) peak at around 101MB/s. So even an ATA100 interface would be fast enough, with an adapter. Still I'd prefer the PCI card.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Garritos

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2004
Thanx alot fellers...seems I wasted my money in buying a SATA drive in the first place. I went with a PCI Silicon image controller featuring raid.