Fact: XP Is Slow

June 15, 2005 5:07:50 PM

Shenan Stanley wrote:
>Then your personal experience should now include a study in how >to improve
>the performance of Windows XP - as I feel the Windows XP >installs I have
>done/cleaned up actually run faster than my previous Windows NT >and Windows
>2000 installs. In many cases, even faster than Windows 98 SE.

>A little tweaking and a little money on proper amounts of >RAM/Proecessor
>power just keep speeding up the OS and very seldom do myself or >my customers
>experience "hangs" unless it is from a poorly maintained system.

Personal experience, and millions of complaints say otherwise. XP hangs
constantly, with IE and taskbar and start menu properties often
freezing. Heck, Microsoft even has a 'send report' option, there's so
many problems. Don't get me wrong, I use Microsoft's operating systems;
always have, in fact. XP offered many upgrades, esp. the ease with
which you can install new hardware. However, to deny that it has it's
hang ups, so to speak, is foolish.

In my case, and I'm sure many others, it has nothing to do with
processor speed or the amount or quality of RAM. I'm probably in the
90-95% percentile, in terms of overall PC performance.

More about : fact slow

Anonymous
June 15, 2005 7:36:52 PM

Mike Hall (MS-MVP) wrote:
> Aether
>
> You wouldn't be suggesting that 90-95% of computer users don't have a clue,
> would you?..
>
> --
> Mike Hall
> MVP - Windows Shell/User
>
> "If hard work were such a wonderful thing, surely the rich would have kept
> it all to themselves." - Lane Kirkland

I'm sure most people don't. The percentile I gave had nothing to do
with that. I was speaking purely of overall performance. The hanging,
freezing, etc.. aren't always due to the specs. of your PC.
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 8:31:25 PM

http://microscum.com/slow.html

--
Peace!
Kurt

XP is a "open" OS. Any application can modify the registry, change/replace
system file and hog up resources. If this happen without your knowledge,
then these applications are know as spywares/malwares/hackwares. This is
an on-going issue with most MS operating system and not just XP.

"aether" <vercingetorix@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Shenan Stanley wrote:
>>Then your personal experience should now include a study in how >to
>>improve
>>the performance of Windows XP - as I feel the Windows XP >installs I have
>>done/cleaned up actually run faster than my previous Windows NT >and
>>Windows
>>2000 installs. In many cases, even faster than Windows 98 SE.
>
>>A little tweaking and a little money on proper amounts of >RAM/Proecessor
>>power just keep speeding up the OS and very seldom do myself or >my
>>customers
>>experience "hangs" unless it is from a poorly maintained system.
>
> Personal experience, and millions of complaints say otherwise. XP hangs
> constantly, with IE and taskbar and start menu properties often
> freezing. Heck, Microsoft even has a 'send report' option, there's so
> many problems. Don't get me wrong, I use Microsoft's operating systems;
> always have, in fact. XP offered many upgrades, esp. the ease with
> which you can install new hardware. However, to deny that it has it's
> hang ups, so to speak, is foolish.
>
> In my case, and I'm sure many others, it has nothing to do with
> processor speed or the amount or quality of RAM. I'm probably in the
> 90-95% percentile, in terms of overall PC performance.

Anonymous
June 15, 2005 9:17:22 PM

No issues with any of the computers in our company, or at my home.
Could you please post links to the "millions of complaints" to cite? Or,
did they all contact you individually?

Thanks,
Tom

| Personal experience, and millions of complaints say otherwise.
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 9:31:12 PM

Aether

You wouldn't be suggesting that 90-95% of computer users don't have a clue,
would you?..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

it all to themselves." - Lane Kirkland

"aether" <vercingetorix@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Shenan Stanley wrote:
>>Then your personal experience should now include a study in how >to
>>improve
>>the performance of Windows XP - as I feel the Windows XP >installs I have
>>done/cleaned up actually run faster than my previous Windows NT >and
>>Windows
>>2000 installs. In many cases, even faster than Windows 98 SE.
>
>>A little tweaking and a little money on proper amounts of >RAM/Proecessor
>>power just keep speeding up the OS and very seldom do myself or >my
>>customers
>>experience "hangs" unless it is from a poorly maintained system.
>
> Personal experience, and millions of complaints say otherwise. XP hangs
> constantly, with IE and taskbar and start menu properties often
> freezing. Heck, Microsoft even has a 'send report' option, there's so
> many problems. Don't get me wrong, I use Microsoft's operating systems;
> always have, in fact. XP offered many upgrades, esp. the ease with
> which you can install new hardware. However, to deny that it has it's
> hang ups, so to speak, is foolish.
>
> In my case, and I'm sure many others, it has nothing to do with
> processor speed or the amount or quality of RAM. I'm probably in the
> 90-95% percentile, in terms of overall PC performance.

Anonymous
June 15, 2005 10:43:22 PM

Over exaggerating a bit, aren't we?

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

"aether" <vercingetorix@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Shenan Stanley wrote:
>>Then your personal experience should now include a study in how >to
>>improve
>>the performance of Windows XP - as I feel the Windows XP >installs I have
>>done/cleaned up actually run faster than my previous Windows NT >and
>>Windows
>>2000 installs. In many cases, even faster than Windows 98 SE.
>
>>A little tweaking and a little money on proper amounts of >RAM/Proecessor
>>power just keep speeding up the OS and very seldom do myself or >my
>>customers
>>experience "hangs" unless it is from a poorly maintained system.
>
> Personal experience, and millions of complaints say otherwise. XP hangs
> constantly, with IE and taskbar and start menu properties often
> freezing. Heck, Microsoft even has a 'send report' option, there's so
> many problems. Don't get me wrong, I use Microsoft's operating systems;
> always have, in fact. XP offered many upgrades, esp. the ease with
> which you can install new hardware. However, to deny that it has it's
> hang ups, so to speak, is foolish.
>
> In my case, and I'm sure many others, it has nothing to do with
> processor speed or the amount or quality of RAM. I'm probably in the
> 90-95% percentile, in terms of overall PC performance.

Anonymous
June 16, 2005 12:46:54 AM

On 15 Jun 2005 13:07:50 -0700, "aether" <vercingetorix@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Shenan Stanley wrote:
>>Then your personal experience should now include a study in how >to improve
>>the performance of Windows XP - as I feel the Windows XP >installs I have
>>done/cleaned up actually run faster than my previous Windows NT >and Windows
>>2000 installs. In many cases, even faster than Windows 98 SE.
>
>>A little tweaking and a little money on proper amounts of >RAM/Proecessor
>>power just keep speeding up the OS and very seldom do myself or >my customers
>>experience "hangs" unless it is from a poorly maintained system.
>
>Personal experience, and millions of complaints say otherwise. XP hangs
>constantly, with IE and taskbar and start menu properties often
>freezing. Heck, Microsoft even has a 'send report' option, there's so
>many problems. Don't get me wrong, I use Microsoft's operating systems;
>always have, in fact. XP offered many upgrades, esp. the ease with
>which you can install new hardware. However, to deny that it has it's
>hang ups, so to speak, is foolish.

My personal experience is remarkably different. We experience a huge
downturn in OS related problems since switching over to XP. This is
on a LAN running close to 2,500 workstations. My other contacts that
run other networks also report the same thing - much less problems
since the migration to XP.

As for MS providing a "send report" option, that's just good customer
relations and is invaluable to MS in building a database of problems
and finding fixes. You can turn it off if you find it annoying.
Almost every time this box pops up it is not coming from the OS but an
offending application that is causing problems. You can't blame XP
for problems caused by apps running under the OS.
Anonymous
June 16, 2005 1:11:10 AM

Aether

Shenan made the point about 'maintaining' properly, as well as remarking
that general hardware specifications are important.. what most miss re the
spec is that there is no hard and fast rule, but there is an optimum that
will render passable performance..

You also have to realise that no two computers are the same, and the ability
of the user can seriously compromise the best set up.. some computers are
cobbled together by complete amateurs and expected to run flawlessly.. yeah
right..

You can't always blame the OS.. there are too many other wild card factors
in the equation..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

> Mike Hall (MS-MVP) wrote:
>> Aether
>>
>> You wouldn't be suggesting that 90-95% of computer users don't have a
>> clue,
>> would you?..
>>
>> --
>> Mike Hall
>> MVP - Windows Shell/User
>>
>> "If hard work were such a wonderful thing, surely the rich would have
>> kept
>> it all to themselves." - Lane Kirkland
>
> I'm sure most people don't. The percentile I gave had nothing to do
> with that. I was speaking purely of overall performance. The hanging,
> freezing, etc.. aren't always due to the specs. of your PC.

Anonymous
June 16, 2005 3:24:40 AM

..

> http://microscum.com/slow.html
>
> --
Hey what's with the link, I was looking forward to a good read?!
Anonymous
June 16, 2005 3:24:41 AM

David Sewell wrote:
> "kurttrail" <dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote in
> message news:expx0kecFHA.2688@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> .
>>
>> http://microscum.com/slow.html
>>
>> --
> Hey what's with the link, I was looking forward to a good read?!

http://microscum.com/error404.html

That was my message through HAL9000.

It can only be attributable to human error. It has always been due to
human error.

--
Peace!
Kurt
Self-anointed Moderator
microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
http://microscum.com/mscommunity
"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"
Anonymous
June 18, 2005 11:09:36 PM

This post isn't about Windows being a bad OS. It's a fantastic OS. I'm
merely saying it has it's hang ups and, from my own experience, this
happens whether your PC is three years old, or newly purchased.
June 19, 2005 8:32:45 AM

"aether" <vercingetorix@hotmail.com> wrote

> This post isn't about Windows being a bad OS. It's a fantastic OS. I'm
> merely saying it has it's hang ups and, from my own experience, this
> happens whether your PC is three years old, or newly purchased.

Yeah, back in 95 we had Win 95 that crashed, BSODed, needed constant
rebooting but we didn't need to install and constantly update:

Anti virus
Firewall
Spywareblaster
Spywareguard