Junk File Remover

Status
Not open for further replies.

flynby

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2011
Using a defrag program that tells me I have 950 junk files. I download a free trial of this software to see what was considered junk.
Some of the "junk files" were actual programs that I need and use. So I deleted the software.

My Question: If a person is computer illiterate, how do you to know what is needed or what is junk? Is there a reliable
software (free or reasonable priced) that can do this automatically?

Not to confuse - but like a temp file is normally seen with a 0. That helps to know it is safe to remove. But what about these junk files?

Forgot to mention - I also use ccleaner and still get the same message in this defrag program.
Appreciate any help.

skaz

Distinguished
You don't need any third party defrag program. Windows 7's defrag works fine. I use CCleaner to get rid of my junk files.

To answer your question: Start before the removal is needed. What I mean is watch what files you are accepting and putting on your system. This will give you a better understanding of what is on your system and what it does so that when time comes to remove it you know exactly what it is and why you do or don't want to remove it.

Everything else, research if you don't know. You see a file that looks strange and you think you may need it for some critical operating system reason or whatever then plop in Google and try and figure out what it is and what it does.

dingo07

Distinguished
CCleaner [REGISTRY] tab - do you have all boxes checked? If Yes, then the only other thing, outside of what ^skaz^ is suggesting, is to double check the Program Files directory and make sure there's no hint of the removed program.

flynby

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2011

Thank you both for the replies. Found a free program - Advanced System Care 5 that worked well - so far. Did not ask questions. The upgrade allows individual to do more.

Again, many thanks.

flynby

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2011
Used Glary Disk Cleaner and removed quite a bit. Then used CCleaner and 2 more files removed. Then used Auslogics Disk Defrag. Under Disk Defrag is a tab called "System Health". Reported No Registry Errors - But still found 220 junk files! As stated earlier, to me - some seem to be required files because some are used by my Nova BAckup. I am beginning to think just ignore this part of the software. Thank you all for the help and good leads.

Status
Not open for further replies.