Phone activation

I keep reading about having to talk to a Microsoft employee whenever
you activate Windows XP by phone. When I activated my copy of Windows
XP the whole process was voice automated. I never talked to a real
person. If I were to get a new hard drive and reinstall my copy of
Windows XP on it would the activation process be the same as it was the
first time I activated Windows or would I have to talk to a Microsoft
employee? The computer in question doesn't have an internet connection
so that's out. It's also been well over a year since I activated
Windows.
9 answers Last reply
More about phone activation

    The automated system "failed" to recognise my Windows key the last time I
    activated. Had to request a "live" person to complete the activation.

    djs0302@aol.com wrote:
    > I keep reading about having to talk to a Microsoft employee whenever
    > you activate Windows XP by phone. When I activated my copy of Windows
    > XP the whole process was voice automated. I never talked to a real
    > person. If I were to get a new hard drive and reinstall my copy of
    > Windows XP on it would the activation process be the same as it was
    > the first time I activated Windows or would I have to talk to a
    > Microsoft employee? The computer in question doesn't have an
    > internet connection so that's out. It's also been well over a year
    > since I activated Windows.

    Being FORCED to talk to a PA phone rep happens when one has changed the
    required amount of hardware within a 120 day period, or if you have
    broken the BIOS-Locking mechanism of pre-installed XP of one of the top
    twenty OEMs computers. At least that it is how it is supposed to work,
    but eXPerience says that it definitely doesn't always work that way.

    --
    Peace!
    Kurt

    I have just ordered a SATA HD to replace my old PATA HD. Am I going to need
    to contact Microsoft to re-activate my WinXP once I install it on the new HD.
    If so, what is the Phone # I should use?

    Thank You ~ Wes

    If it can, it will do it over the web. If not, it will give you a toll free
    number to use.

    Wes wrote:
    > I have just ordered a SATA HD to replace my old PATA HD. Am I going
    > to need to contact Microsoft to re-activate my WinXP once I install
    > it on the new HD. If so, what is the Phone # I should use?
    >
    > Thank You ~ Wes

    Everytime you reinstall retail or generic XP for any reason, you will
    need to activate. You will only need to phone activate is you
    substantially change you computer hardware. A harddrive change isn't
    enough to necessitate phone activation, but sometimes Activation doesn't
    work the way it is supposed to.

    The only way you can tell if you will be forced to phone activate is to
    fail to activate via the internet. Then you rerun the activation wizard
    and choose the phone activation option, and you should be given then
    phone number to call that is most appropriate for where you live.

    To learn more about activation:
    http://aumha.org/win5/a/wpa.htm
    http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/activation_faq.mspx
    http://microscum.com/mmpafaq/

    --

    Jone Doe wrote:
    > If it can, it will do it over the web. If not, it will give you a
    > toll free number to use.

    Only if the user doesn't believe the bogus message of that tells the
    user that they activated XP too many times, and they then choose to run
    the phone activation option. Otherwise they will not be presented with
    the PA telephone number. Also some have reported that even choosing the
    phone option doesn't alway bring up the phone number.

    And the PA phone number is not always toll-free, depending on where in
    the world you live.

    --

    "kurttrail" <dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote

    > Jone Doe wrote:
    >> If it can, it will do it over the web. If not, it will give you a
    >> toll free number to use.
    >
    > Only if the user doesn't believe the bogus message of that tells the user
    > that they activated XP too many times, and they then choose to run the
    > phone activation option.

    Where's the "phone activation option"?

    Thanks,

    Alias

    http://microscum.com/mmpafaq/phonewpa.html

    --
    Peace!
    Kurt
    Self-anointed Moderator
    microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
    http://microscum.com/mscommunity
    "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

    Thanks

    Alias
    "kurttrail" <dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote
    > Alias wrote:

    >>> Only if the user doesn't believe the bogus message of that tells the
    >>> user that they activated XP too many times, and they then choose to
    >>> run the phone activation option.
    >>
    >> Where's the "phone activation option"?
    >>

    > http://microscum.com/mmpafaq/phonewpa.html
    >
    > --