  • Phones
  • Microsoft
  • Windows XP
June 15, 2005 5:39:01 PM

I keep reading about having to talk to a Microsoft employee whenever
you activate Windows XP by phone. When I activated my copy of Windows
XP the whole process was voice automated. I never talked to a real
person. If I were to get a new hard drive and reinstall my copy of
Windows XP on it would the activation process be the same as it was the
first time I activated Windows or would I have to talk to a Microsoft
employee? The computer in question doesn't have an internet connection
so that's out. It's also been well over a year since I activated
Windows.

More about : phone activation

Anonymous
June 15, 2005 8:42:40 PM

The automated system "failed" to recognise my Windows key the last time I
activated. Had to request a "live" person to complete the activation.

<djs0302@aol.com> wrote in message
>I keep reading about having to talk to a Microsoft employee whenever
> you activate Windows XP by phone. When I activated my copy of Windows
> XP the whole process was voice automated. I never talked to a real
> person. If I were to get a new hard drive and reinstall my copy of
> Windows XP on it would the activation process be the same as it was the
> first time I activated Windows or would I have to talk to a Microsoft
> employee? The computer in question doesn't have an internet connection
> so that's out. It's also been well over a year since I activated
> Windows.

Anonymous
June 15, 2005 8:46:38 PM

djs0302@aol.com wrote:
> I keep reading about having to talk to a Microsoft employee whenever
> you activate Windows XP by phone. When I activated my copy of Windows
> XP the whole process was voice automated. I never talked to a real
> person. If I were to get a new hard drive and reinstall my copy of
> Windows XP on it would the activation process be the same as it was
> the first time I activated Windows or would I have to talk to a
> Microsoft employee? The computer in question doesn't have an
> internet connection so that's out. It's also been well over a year
> since I activated Windows.

Being FORCED to talk to a PA phone rep happens when one has changed the
required amount of hardware within a 120 day period, or if you have
broken the BIOS-Locking mechanism of pre-installed XP of one of the top
twenty OEMs computers. At least that it is how it is supposed to work,
but eXPerience says that it definitely doesn't always work that way.

--
Peace!
Kurt

I have just ordered a SATA HD to replace my old PATA HD. Am I going to need
to contact Microsoft to re-activate my WinXP once I install it on the new HD.
If so, what is the Phone # I should use?

Thank You ~ Wes
Anonymous
June 16, 2005 1:57:33 PM

If it can, it will do it over the web. If not, it will give you a toll free
number to use.

"Wes" <Wes@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have just ordered a SATA HD to replace my old PATA HD. Am I going to
>need
> to contact Microsoft to re-activate my WinXP once I install it on the new
> HD.
> If so, what is the Phone # I should use?
>
> Thank You ~ Wes

Anonymous
June 16, 2005 3:07:24 PM

Wes wrote:
> I have just ordered a SATA HD to replace my old PATA HD. Am I going
> to need to contact Microsoft to re-activate my WinXP once I install
> it on the new HD. If so, what is the Phone # I should use?
>
> Thank You ~ Wes

Everytime you reinstall retail or generic XP for any reason, you will
need to activate. You will only need to phone activate is you
substantially change you computer hardware. A harddrive change isn't
enough to necessitate phone activation, but sometimes Activation doesn't
work the way it is supposed to.

The only way you can tell if you will be forced to phone activate is to
fail to activate via the internet. Then you rerun the activation wizard
and choose the phone activation option, and you should be given then
phone number to call that is most appropriate for where you live.

To learn more about activation:
http://aumha.org/win5/a/wpa.htm
http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/activation_faq.mspx
http://microscum.com/mmpafaq/

--
Peace!
Kurt
Self-anointed Moderator
microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
http://microscum.com/mscommunity
"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"
Anonymous
June 16, 2005 3:40:37 PM

Jone Doe wrote:
> If it can, it will do it over the web. If not, it will give you a
> toll free number to use.

Only if the user doesn't believe the bogus message of that tells the
user that they activated XP too many times, and they then choose to run
the phone activation option. Otherwise they will not be presented with
the PA telephone number. Also some have reported that even choosing the
phone option doesn't alway bring up the phone number.

And the PA phone number is not always toll-free, depending on where in
the world you live.

--
Peace!
Kurt
Self-anointed Moderator
microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
http://microscum.com/mscommunity
"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"
June 16, 2005 9:52:22 PM

"kurttrail" <dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote

> Jone Doe wrote:
>> If it can, it will do it over the web. If not, it will give you a
>> toll free number to use.
>
> Only if the user doesn't believe the bogus message of that tells the user
> that they activated XP too many times, and they then choose to run the
> phone activation option.

Where's the "phone activation option"?

Thanks,

Alias