Windows update screen is blank

GregF

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2004

One of my WinXP PCs all the sudden won't do a windows update. The
microsoft web site is nothing but a blank page. It says "DONE" down in
the corner, but leaving it for 5 minutes it still is blank. I try to
reboot, reload ,etc, but still nothing. It connects to other pages just
fine. I did a view source and it does show html code, so something
loaded, but the page just won't display anything. Is there anything I
can do besides reinstall windows?

Start with Step 2 from this MSKB article :
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=193701
After doing so revisit WU to see if the issue is resolved.
If no joy, try Step 3, revisit WU.
Still no joy, do Step 1.

If none of them resolve the issue advise you to post to the
Windows Update NG :
http://support.microsoft.com/newsgroups/newsReader.aspx?lang=en&cr=US&dg=microsoft.public.windowsupdate&sloc=en-us

MowGreen [MVP 2004-2005]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

gregf@kcls.org wrote:

> One of my WinXP PCs all the sudden won't do a windows update. The
> microsoft web site is nothing but a blank page. It says "DONE" down in
> the corner, but leaving it for 5 minutes it still is blank. I try to
> reboot, reload ,etc, but still nothing. It connects to other pages just
> fine. I did a view source and it does show html code, so something
> loaded, but the page just won't display anything. Is there anything I
> can do besides reinstall windows?

GregF

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2004

Well I got that fixed, but now there's an error on the update screen
that says I need to have certain services started, they are started
already. I'm not sure what to do, the suggestions don't apply since
that's not the issue, and the links they provide don't specifically
mention this issue. Any suggestions besides reinstalling either IE or
Windows?

Anando [MS-MVP] wrote:
> Hi,
>
> You might want to check out the troubleshooter for Windows Update:
>
> http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/troubleshoot.aspx?ln=en
>

> --
>
> Anando
> Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
> http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
> http://www.mvps.org
>
> In memory of Alex Nichol
>
> Folder customizations
> http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku
>
> Protect your PC!
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>

> <gregf@kcls.org> wrote in message news:1118868383.056958.270460@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> > One of my WinXP PCs all the sudden won't do a windows update. The
> > microsoft web site is nothing but a blank page. It says "DONE" down in
> > the corner, but leaving it for 5 minutes it still is blank. I try to
> > reboot, reload ,etc, but still nothing. It connects to other pages just
> > fine. I did a view source and it does show html code, so something
> > loaded, but the page just won't display anything. Is there anything I
> > can do besides reinstall windows?

GregF

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2004

Something with the abbreviation of BITS, and the Event Log I think. It
said to make sure they were set to automatic and that they were
started, which they already were.

Hi,

You might want to check out the troubleshooter for Windows Update:

http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/troubleshoot.aspx?ln=en

--

Anando
Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
http://www.mvps.org

In memory of Alex Nichol

Folder customizations
http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

<gregf@kcls.org> wrote in message news:1118868383.056958.270460@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> One of my WinXP PCs all the sudden won't do a windows update. The
> microsoft web site is nothing but a blank page. It says "DONE" down in
> the corner, but leaving it for 5 minutes it still is blank. I try to
> reboot, reload ,etc, but still nothing. It connects to other pages just
> fine. I did a view source and it does show html code, so something
> loaded, but the page just won't display anything. Is there anything I
> can do besides reinstall windows?

> that says I need to have certain services started

Which services to be precise ?

--

<gregf@kcls.org> wrote in message news:1118878738.435527.249490@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...
> Well I got that fixed, but now there's an error on the update screen
> that says I need to have certain services started, they are started
> already. I'm not sure what to do, the suggestions don't apply since
> that's not the issue, and the links they provide don't specifically
> mention this issue. Any suggestions besides reinstalling either IE or
> Windows?
>
> Anando [MS-MVP] wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> You might want to check out the troubleshooter for Windows Update:
>>
>> http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/troubleshoot.aspx?ln=en
>>

>> --
>>
>> Anando
>> Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
>> http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
>> http://www.mvps.org
>>
>> In memory of Alex Nichol
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexperts/nichol.mspx
>>
>> Folder customizations
>> http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku
>>
>> Protect your PC!
>> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>>

>> <gregf@kcls.org> wrote in message news:1118868383.056958.270460@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
>> > One of my WinXP PCs all the sudden won't do a windows update. The
>> > microsoft web site is nothing but a blank page. It says "DONE" down in
>> > the corner, but leaving it for 5 minutes it still is blank. I try to
>> > reboot, reload ,etc, but still nothing. It connects to other pages just
>> > fine. I did a view source and it does show html code, so something
>> > loaded, but the page just won't display anything. Is there anything I
>> > can do besides reinstall windows?

Hi,

BITS stands for "Background Intelligent Transfer Service". This service is essential for
transferring and download files in the background using idle bandwidth. This service is essential
for Windows Update to work smoothly. Check to make sure that this service is set to 'automatic' by
typing SERVICES.MSC at Start/Run. Scroll down to the service in the list and make sure that it is
set to 'automatic'. Similarly make sure that the Event log service is also set to automatic and is
running.

You can get more info from this KB:

How to download Windows updates and drivers from the Windows Update Catalog
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;323166

--

<gregf@kcls.org> wrote in message news:1118880156.791499.242230@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...
> Something with the abbreviation of BITS, and the Event Log I think. It
> said to make sure they were set to automatic and that they were
> started, which they already were.

<gregf@kcls.org> wrote in message
> Something with the abbreviation of BITS, and the Event Log I think. It
> said to make sure they were set to automatic and that they were
> started, which they already were.

To get more precise help you really need to be more precise. Vague
information tends to lead to general or vague help information. Look at the
event log you think is relevant, read it, post any relevant info from it.

GregF

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2004

Both BITS and the Event Log that are essential are already set to
automatic, that are running, I've been through all that already. What I
need is another answer, something else to look at. Those are not the
issue as they are already set they way they should be. I'm wondering if
there is something else I can do. There must be another issue, but the
MS site doesn't seem to tell me what.

Alan Smith wrote:
> <gregf@kcls.org> wrote in message
> > Something with the abbreviation of BITS, and the Event Log I think. It
> > said to make sure they were set to automatic and that they were
> > started, which they already were.
> >

> To get more precise help you really need to be more precise. Vague
> information tends to lead to general or vague help information. Look at the
> event log you think is relevant, read it, post any relevant info from it.

Sorry but i can't think of anything else. You might want to post at:

nntp://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.windowsupdate

Good luck !
--

<gregf@kcls.org> wrote in message news:1118975330.724959.255720@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...
> Both BITS and the Event Log that are essential are already set to
> automatic, that are running, I've been through all that already. What I
> need is another answer, something else to look at. Those are not the
> issue as they are already set they way they should be. I'm wondering if
> there is something else I can do. There must be another issue, but the
> MS site doesn't seem to tell me what.
>
> Alan Smith wrote:
>> <gregf@kcls.org> wrote in message
>> > Something with the abbreviation of BITS, and the Event Log I think. It
>> > said to make sure they were set to automatic and that they were
>> > started, which they already were.
>> >

>> To get more precise help you really need to be more precise. Vague
>> information tends to lead to general or vague help information. Look at the
>> event log you think is relevant, read it, post any relevant info from it.

Its not a website. Its a newsgroup hosted on the microsoft news servers just like this one. Seems
like you are accessing the newsgroups from the Google groups interface. In that case, post your
question here:

http://groups.google.ca/group/microsoft.public.windowsupdate?hl=en

Hope that helps.