Tags:
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Windows XP
June 16, 2005 11:07:46 AM

Hi

I have a Compaq Laptop Evo N800v, with Windows XP Pro.

I have turned off hibernate in conbtrol panel, in fact it was never on, but
I still have a hiberfil.sys in the root directory,
it is 270 meg and I need the space.
Is there some way I can get rid of it?

thanks

Daniel

More about : delete hiberfil sys

June 16, 2005 11:07:47 AM

try deleteing the file from safemode.

"Daniel" wrote:

> Hi
>
> I have a Compaq Laptop Evo N800v, with Windows XP Pro.
>
> I have turned off hibernate in conbtrol panel, in fact it was never on, but
> I still have a hiberfil.sys in the root directory,
> it is 270 meg and I need the space.
> Is there some way I can get rid of it?
>
> thanks
>
> Daniel

Anonymous
June 16, 2005 11:07:47 AM

Reboot.

C:\hiberfil.sys

If hiberfil.sys is deleted, it will be created again on the next
hibernation. If Hibernation is turned off, hiberfil.sys will not be
recreated. If hibernation is enabled, you cannot delete hiberfil.sys.

hiberfil.sys is a Hidden System file.

If Hibernation is turned off, machine rebooted, hiberfil.sys will be
deleted.

The way to remove the file is to turn off the hibernation feature (by
default, hibernate is activated automatically when XP is installed).

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:uqviJ5ecFHA.2124@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
Daniel <Daniel@nowhere> hunted and pecked:
> Hi
>
> I have a Compaq Laptop Evo N800v, with Windows XP Pro.
>
> I have turned off hibernate in conbtrol panel, in fact it was never on,
> but I still have a hiberfil.sys in the root directory,
> it is 270 meg and I need the space.
> Is there some way I can get rid of it?
>
> thanks
>
> Daniel