Delete hiberfil.sys

Hi

I have a Compaq Laptop Evo N800v, with Windows XP Pro.

I have turned off hibernate in conbtrol panel, in fact it was never on, but
I still have a hiberfil.sys in the root directory,
it is 270 meg and I need the space.
Is there some way I can get rid of it?

thanks

Daniel
3 answers Last reply
More about delete hiberfil

    try deleteing the file from safemode.

    "Daniel" wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > I have a Compaq Laptop Evo N800v, with Windows XP Pro.
    >
    > I have turned off hibernate in conbtrol panel, in fact it was never on, but
    > I still have a hiberfil.sys in the root directory,
    > it is 270 meg and I need the space.
    > Is there some way I can get rid of it?
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > Daniel

    Reboot.

    C:\hiberfil.sys

    If hiberfil.sys is deleted, it will be created again on the next
    hibernation. If Hibernation is turned off, hiberfil.sys will not be
    recreated. If hibernation is enabled, you cannot delete hiberfil.sys.

    hiberfil.sys is a Hidden System file.

    If Hibernation is turned off, machine rebooted, hiberfil.sys will be
    deleted.

    The way to remove the file is to turn off the hibernation feature (by
    default, hibernate is activated automatically when XP is installed).

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:uqviJ5ecFHA.2124@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
    Daniel <Daniel@nowhere> hunted and pecked:
    > Hi
    >
    > I have a Compaq Laptop Evo N800v, with Windows XP Pro.
    >
    > I have turned off hibernate in conbtrol panel, in fact it was never on,
    > but I still have a hiberfil.sys in the root directory,
    > it is 270 meg and I need the space.
    > Is there some way I can get rid of it?
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > Daniel

    Thanks, it worked.

    Daniel
    "anon" <anon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > try deleteing the file from safemode.
    >

    > "Daniel" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> I have a Compaq Laptop Evo N800v, with Windows XP Pro.
    >>
    >> I have turned off hibernate in conbtrol panel, in fact it was never on,
    >> but
    >> I still have a hiberfil.sys in the root directory,
    >> it is 270 meg and I need the space.
    >> Is there some way I can get rid of it?
    >>
    >> thanks
    >>
    >> Daniel