I am using a 4.1 channel sound card and 4.1 channel speakers. Windows XP is
only putting audio out through the front channel, and there is no sound out
of the rear channel.

Go into the 4.1 channel sound card software and setup the speakers properly.

Aaron Mingle wrote:

> I am using a 4.1 channel sound card and 4.1 channel speakers. Windows XP is
> only putting audio out through the front channel, and there is no sound out
> of the rear channel.

I have already...the problem is XP doesn't recognize the card as being more
than single channel. XP doesn't realize that I need two audio outputs, for
front and rear, rather than just one, if that makes any sense.

"Bob I" wrote:

> Go into the 4.1 channel sound card software and setup the speakers properly.
>
> Aaron Mingle wrote:
>
> > I am using a 4.1 channel sound card and 4.1 channel speakers. Windows XP is
> > only putting audio out through the front channel, and there is no sound out
> > of the rear channel.

That is a function of your sound card drivers and dedicated sound card
software. If you have loaded the requisite XP drivers for you card you will
be able to get sound through the rear speakers - assuming you have them
connected correctly!

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

"Aaron Mingle" <Aaron Mingle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have already...the problem is XP doesn't recognize the card as being more
> than single channel. XP doesn't realize that I need two audio outputs,
> for
> front and rear, rather than just one, if that makes any sense.
>
> "Bob I" wrote:
>
>> Go into the 4.1 channel sound card software and setup the speakers
>> properly.
>>
>> Aaron Mingle wrote:
>>
>> > I am using a 4.1 channel sound card and 4.1 channel speakers. Windows
>> > XP is
>> > only putting audio out through the front channel, and there is no sound
>> > out
>> > of the rear channel.

Windows doesn't "talk" to the sound card, it "talks" to the Sound card
driver. Install and configure the correct drivers for your sound card.
If the driver is correct and the settings are correct and the
connections are correct, THEN 4.1 channel sound will be produced. XP
doesn't really care what is used for the sound reproduction, it only
communicates with the drivers.

Aaron Mingle wrote:

> I have already...the problem is XP doesn't recognize the card as being more
> than single channel. XP doesn't realize that I need two audio outputs, for
> front and rear, rather than just one, if that makes any sense.
>
> "Bob I" wrote:
>

>>Go into the 4.1 channel sound card software and setup the speakers properly.
>>
>>Aaron Mingle wrote:
>>

>>>I am using a 4.1 channel sound card and 4.1 channel speakers. Windows XP is
>>>only putting audio out through the front channel, and there is no sound out
>>>of the rear channel.

As Richard said. You need the correct drivers.