Can Windows MCE join domain?

June 15, 2005 7:48:00 PM

hey guys,
just a quick question, we got couple of MCE machines which we will like to
join to our campus domain. now i can see the option to join to a domain is
greyed out and wouldnt let me do it.

so my question is, is it possible to join a MCE machine to a domain ?

thanks
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 9:55:34 PM

"Macho Man" <NOSPAM_h.b@usask.ca_NOSPAM> wrote in message
> hey guys,
> just a quick question, we got couple of MCE machines which we will like to
> join to our campus domain. now i can see the option to join to a domain is
> greyed out and wouldnt let me do it.
>
> so my question is, is it possible to join a MCE machine to a domain ?
>
> thanks

Only during the initial installation.

As you've seen the option is otherwise disabled as MCE uses Fast User
Switching functionality (not supported in a domain environment) to support
Media Center Extenders. If you do opt to join a domain during the initial
installation you lose this capability. (extenders)

MCE questions are better addressed to
microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter

I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
I was just trying to help.
advice herein.
No warranty is expressed or implied.
Your mileage may vary.
See store for details. :)

Remove shoes to E-mail.
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 9:55:35 PM

Thanks

"HillBillyBuddhist" <hillbillybuddhist@shoesgmail.com> wrote in message

> "Macho Man" <NOSPAM_h.b@usask.ca_NOSPAM> wrote in message
>> hey guys,
>> just a quick question, we got couple of MCE machines which we will like
>> to join to our campus domain. now i can see the option to join to a
>> domain is greyed out and wouldnt let me do it.
>>
>> so my question is, is it possible to join a MCE machine to a domain ?
>>
>> thanks
>
> Only during the initial installation.
>
> As you've seen the option is otherwise disabled as MCE uses Fast User
> Switching functionality (not supported in a domain environment) to support
> Media Center Extenders. If you do opt to join a domain during the initial
> installation you lose this capability. (extenders)
>
> MCE questions are better addressed to
> microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter

> I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
> I was just trying to help.
> Please use your own best judgment before implementing any suggestions or
> advice herein.
> No warranty is expressed or implied.
> Your mileage may vary.
> See store for details. :)
>
> Remove shoes to E-mail.

Anonymous
June 16, 2005 3:02:41 AM

Macho Man wrote:
> hey guys,
> just a quick question, we got couple of MCE machines which we will
> like to join to our campus domain. now i can see the option to join
> to a domain is greyed out and wouldnt let me do it.
>
> so my question is, is it possible to join a MCE machine to a domain ?
>
> thanks

In short, nope.

Rather longer: - The 2004 edition had the ability to join a domain, but this
facility was removed for the 2005 release as MS wanted to push the media
side, rather than the OS side, as it were, therefore they decided, in their
infinite wisdom, that an OS that was designed to record TV didn't require
networking capabilities, so they removed them. Why they left the legacy to
confuse people only they know...
!