Can Windows MCE join domain?

hey guys,
just a quick question, we got couple of MCE machines which we will like to
join to our campus domain. now i can see the option to join to a domain is
greyed out and wouldnt let me do it.

so my question is, is it possible to join a MCE machine to a domain ?

thanks
3 answers Last reply
More about windows join domain

    "Macho Man" <NOSPAM_h.b@usask.ca_NOSPAM> wrote in message
    > hey guys,
    > just a quick question, we got couple of MCE machines which we will like to
    > join to our campus domain. now i can see the option to join to a domain is
    > greyed out and wouldnt let me do it.
    >
    > so my question is, is it possible to join a MCE machine to a domain ?
    >
    > thanks

    Only during the initial installation.

    As you've seen the option is otherwise disabled as MCE uses Fast User
    Switching functionality (not supported in a domain environment) to support
    Media Center Extenders. If you do opt to join a domain during the initial
    installation you lose this capability. (extenders)

    MCE questions are better addressed to
    microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter

    I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
    I was just trying to help.
    advice herein.
    No warranty is expressed or implied.
    Your mileage may vary.
    See store for details. :)

    Remove shoes to E-mail.

    Thanks

    Macho Man wrote:
    > hey guys,
    > just a quick question, we got couple of MCE machines which we will
    > like to join to our campus domain. now i can see the option to join
    > to a domain is greyed out and wouldnt let me do it.
    >
    > so my question is, is it possible to join a MCE machine to a domain ?
    >
    > thanks

    In short, nope.

    Rather longer: - The 2004 edition had the ability to join a domain, but this
    facility was removed for the 2005 release as MS wanted to push the media
    side, rather than the OS side, as it were, therefore they decided, in their
    infinite wisdom, that an OS that was designed to record TV didn't require
    networking capabilities, so they removed them. Why they left the legacy to
    confuse people only they know...

Domain Microsoft Windows XP