Can someone help me know where to begin to trouble a Slow Boot with WinXP
Professional SP1a (updated as far as SP2----but do not have SP2 installed).

Computer:
Dell XPS Gen 3
Intel 3.0 Ghz
2GB Ram
ATI Radeon 9800XT Video card
Western Digital 250GB hard drive

Software:
Norton System Works 2005 with Norton Utilities, Norton Antivirus, GoBack
4.0, Trojan Hunter 4.0

What else do you need to know??

I don't remember doing anything in particular, but at boot up 36 hours ago
is when the problem started. After Choosing WinXP Professional (or any
other choice from boot menu) it takes 20 minutes to get to WinXP boot screen
(slows during white progress bars across botton of black screen). Boot from
there appears to be at usual speed, about ninety seconds until windows
desktop loaded and able to access programs. Nothing, to my knowledge, was
added or updated before this problem.

I need a starting point here to try and find the problem. I know I can do
complete format of C drive and a complete new install of windows, but I
don't really want to do that unless I have to.

mudrat

Have you tried -Last Known Good Configuration?

How to perform advanced clean-boot troubleshooting in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=316434&sd=RMVP

If the problem persists-

regards,
ssg MS-MVP

oldmudrat <oldmudrat@ wrote:

> Can someone help me know where to begin to trouble a Slow Boot with WinXP
> Professional SP1a (updated as far as SP2----but do not have SP2 installed).
>
> Computer:
> Dell XPS Gen 3
> Intel 3.0 Ghz
> 2GB Ram
> ATI Radeon 9800XT Video card
> Western Digital 250GB hard drive
>
> Software:
> Norton System Works 2005 with Norton Utilities, Norton Antivirus, GoBack
> 4.0, Trojan Hunter 4.0
>
> What else do you need to know??
>
> I don't remember doing anything in particular, but at boot up 36 hours ago
> is when the problem started. After Choosing WinXP Professional (or any
> other choice from boot menu) it takes 20 minutes to get to WinXP boot screen
> (slows during white progress bars across botton of black screen). Boot from
> there appears to be at usual speed, about ninety seconds until windows
> desktop loaded and able to access programs. Nothing, to my knowledge, was
> added or updated before this problem.
>
> I need a starting point here to try and find the problem. I know I can do
> complete format of C drive and a complete new install of windows, but I
> don't really want to do that unless I have to.
>

> mudrat

Yes, even booting with "Last Known Good Configuration" yields the same
results.

Thanks for the microsoft link. Looks like I've got something to keep me
busy this weekend.

mudrat

"S.Sengupta" <ssengupta_@msn.com> wrote in message
> Have you tried -Last Known Good Configuration?
>
> How to perform advanced clean-boot troubleshooting in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=316434&sd=RMVP
>
> If the problem persists-
> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html
>
> regards,
> ssg MS-MVP
>
> oldmudrat <oldmudrat@ wrote:
>
> > Can someone help me know where to begin to trouble a Slow Boot with
WinXP
> > Professional SP1a (updated as far as SP2----but do not have SP2
installed).

> > Computer:
> > Dell XPS Gen 3
> > Intel 3.0 Ghz
> > 2GB Ram
> > ATI Radeon 9800XT Video card
> > Western Digital 250GB hard drive
> >
> > Software:
> > Norton System Works 2005 with Norton Utilities, Norton Antivirus, GoBack
> > 4.0, Trojan Hunter 4.0
> >
> > What else do you need to know??
> >
> > I don't remember doing anything in particular, but at boot up 36 hours
ago
> > is when the problem started. After Choosing WinXP Professional (or any
> > other choice from boot menu) it takes 20 minutes to get to WinXP boot
screen
> > (slows during white progress bars across botton of black screen). Boot
from
> > there appears to be at usual speed, about ninety seconds until windows
> > desktop loaded and able to access programs. Nothing, to my knowledge,
was
> > added or updated before this problem.
> >
> > I need a starting point here to try and find the problem. I know I can
do
> > complete format of C drive and a complete new install of windows, but I
> > don't really want to do that unless I have to.
> >

> > mudrat

Kraze

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2005

Last known good in this case is useless. That should only be used if you
cannot get past the log on screen. Once you've 'logged in' even slow as
frozen molasses, that's considered a 'successful boot'
Try booting up into safe mode. Then Start > Run > type msconfig & click ok.
Choose the startup tab (folder tabs) and uncheck any items that you do not
need immediately when the computer boots up, reboot to normal mode. The more
items there, the longer it takes for your computer to 'settle' in for use.
If that doesn't help, post here & try some other ideas.

--
~*Kim*~

MCP/MCSA/MCSE
The Canadian DOS Prompt: EH?\>

"S.Sengupta" <ssengupta_@msn.com> wrote in message
> Have you tried -Last Known Good Configuration?
>
> How to perform advanced clean-boot troubleshooting in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=316434&sd=RMVP
>
> If the problem persists-
> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html
>
> regards,
> ssg MS-MVP
>
> oldmudrat <oldmudrat@ wrote:
>
>> Can someone help me know where to begin to trouble a Slow Boot with WinXP
>> Professional SP1a (updated as far as SP2----but do not have SP2
>> installed).
>>
>> Computer:
>> Dell XPS Gen 3
>> Intel 3.0 Ghz
>> 2GB Ram
>> ATI Radeon 9800XT Video card
>> Western Digital 250GB hard drive
>>
>> Software:
>> Norton System Works 2005 with Norton Utilities, Norton Antivirus, GoBack
>> 4.0, Trojan Hunter 4.0
>>
>> What else do you need to know??
>>
>> I don't remember doing anything in particular, but at boot up 36 hours
>> ago
>> is when the problem started. After Choosing WinXP Professional (or any
>> other choice from boot menu) it takes 20 minutes to get to WinXP boot
>> screen
>> (slows during white progress bars across botton of black screen). Boot
>> from
>> there appears to be at usual speed, about ninety seconds until windows
>> desktop loaded and able to access programs. Nothing, to my knowledge,
>> was
>> added or updated before this problem.
>>
>> I need a starting point here to try and find the problem. I know I can
>> do
>> complete format of C drive and a complete new install of windows, but I
>> don't really want to do that unless I have to.
>>

>> mudrat

"Last known good in this case is useless. That should only be used if you
cannot get past the log on screen. Once you've 'logged in' even slow as
frozen molasses, that's considered a 'successful boot'..."

True.
regards,
ssg MS-MVP

KrazE wrote:

> Last known good in this case is useless. That should only be used if you
> cannot get past the log on screen. Once you've 'logged in' even slow as
> frozen molasses, that's considered a 'successful boot'
> Try booting up into safe mode. Then Start > Run > type msconfig & click ok.
> Choose the startup tab (folder tabs) and uncheck any items that you do not
> need immediately when the computer boots up, reboot to normal mode. The more
> items there, the longer it takes for your computer to 'settle' in for use.
> If that doesn't help, post here & try some other ideas.

Are you connected to a broadband connection (DSL,Cable...)? If so try to
disconnect the computer from the broadband connection and see if that makes a
difference on startup times. If it does make a difference then you have
either a spyware or virus problem.

"oldmudrat hotmail.com>" wrote:

> Can someone help me know where to begin to trouble a Slow Boot with WinXP
> Professional SP1a (updated as far as SP2----but do not have SP2 installed).
>
> Computer:
> Dell XPS Gen 3
> Intel 3.0 Ghz
> 2GB Ram
> ATI Radeon 9800XT Video card
> Western Digital 250GB hard drive
>
> Software:
> Norton System Works 2005 with Norton Utilities, Norton Antivirus, GoBack
> 4.0, Trojan Hunter 4.0
>
> What else do you need to know??
>
> I don't remember doing anything in particular, but at boot up 36 hours ago
> is when the problem started. After Choosing WinXP Professional (or any
> other choice from boot menu) it takes 20 minutes to get to WinXP boot screen
> (slows during white progress bars across botton of black screen). Boot from
> there appears to be at usual speed, about ninety seconds until windows
> desktop loaded and able to access programs. Nothing, to my knowledge, was
> added or updated before this problem.
>
> I need a starting point here to try and find the problem. I know I can do
> complete format of C drive and a complete new install of windows, but I
> don't really want to do that unless I have to.
>

> mudrat

This might be a spyware/virus problem. Try unplugging the system from the
broadband connection and then restart the computer. You have a spyware/virus
problem if the computer does boot much faster without being connected to the
internet. Hope that this helps.

"KrazE" wrote:

> Last known good in this case is useless. That should only be used if you
> cannot get past the log on screen. Once you've 'logged in' even slow as
> frozen molasses, that's considered a 'successful boot'
> Try booting up into safe mode. Then Start > Run > type msconfig & click ok.
> Choose the startup tab (folder tabs) and uncheck any items that you do not
> need immediately when the computer boots up, reboot to normal mode. The more
> items there, the longer it takes for your computer to 'settle' in for use.
> If that doesn't help, post here & try some other ideas.
>
> --
> ~*Kim*~
>
> MCP/MCSA/MCSE
> The Canadian DOS Prompt: EH?\>
>

> "S.Sengupta" <ssengupta_@msn.com> wrote in message
> > Have you tried -Last Known Good Configuration?
> >
> > How to perform advanced clean-boot troubleshooting in Windows XP
> > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=316434&sd=RMVP
> >
> > If the problem persists-
> > http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html
> >
> > regards,
> > ssg MS-MVP
> >
> > oldmudrat <oldmudrat@ wrote:
> >
> >> Can someone help me know where to begin to trouble a Slow Boot with WinXP
> >> Professional SP1a (updated as far as SP2----but do not have SP2
> >> installed).
> >>
> >> Computer:
> >> Dell XPS Gen 3
> >> Intel 3.0 Ghz
> >> 2GB Ram
> >> ATI Radeon 9800XT Video card
> >> Western Digital 250GB hard drive
> >>
> >> Software:
> >> Norton System Works 2005 with Norton Utilities, Norton Antivirus, GoBack
> >> 4.0, Trojan Hunter 4.0
> >>
> >> What else do you need to know??
> >>
> >> I don't remember doing anything in particular, but at boot up 36 hours
> >> ago
> >> is when the problem started. After Choosing WinXP Professional (or any
> >> other choice from boot menu) it takes 20 minutes to get to WinXP boot
> >> screen
> >> (slows during white progress bars across botton of black screen). Boot
> >> from
> >> there appears to be at usual speed, about ninety seconds until windows
> >> desktop loaded and able to access programs. Nothing, to my knowledge,
> >> was
> >> added or updated before this problem.
> >>
> >> I need a starting point here to try and find the problem. I know I can
> >> do
> >> complete format of C drive and a complete new install of windows, but I
> >> don't really want to do that unless I have to.
> >>

> >> mudrat

I am connnected to DSL on this computer and I've not tried disconnecting the
DSL connection yet. Thought about disconnecting all peripherals (I have a
USB printer, USB external Zip Drive, USB mouse, and USB scanner. So far,
Antivirus scans (with Norton's AV and AVG), Spybot S&D, Adaware, Trojan
Hunter, CWShredder have failed to turn up any problems. I un-installed two
programs that I thought might be causing problems (Easy CD Creator 7.0 and
Acronis True Image 8.0) with no effect on boot time. I just un-installed
Norton Goback 4.0 and that reduced boot time to about 5 minutes, something I
can live with. I'm debating un-installing Norton Anti-virus and Norton
Systems Works Premier 2005, but I think that can wait for tomorrow.

Thanks to all the suggestions offered. I'm not done with this yet. And I
will keep the list posted as to what I do as how this turns out.

Perhaps it will help some other poor souls with a like problem.

mudrat