Physical Memory is very high!!

mrnachos38

Honorable
Jul 27, 2012
Hi,
I've recently noticed that my physical memory is around 76% when I'm not doing much! I have 6gb of ram installed, and I have checked windows task manager. The process that uses the most memory is firefox, which uses 300,000kb of memory.
Here's a picture of my task manager:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/641/taskmanagerv.jpg/

mrnachos38

Honorable
Jul 27, 2012
Oh I found the tab. I have the box that says, "Automatically manage paging file size for all drives" checked.
At the bottom, it says:
Total paging file size for all drives
Minimum allowed: 16MB
Recommended: 9201 MB
Currently allocated: 6134MB

sam_fisher

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2010

The System Idle Process displays the percentage of time that the processor is idle.

Open up the Resource Monitor and have a look at the Physical Memory distribution under the Memory tab. It's likely that you'll have some in use, in Standby, and Free. Windows will cache data in the memory so that programs can be loaded up faster, and for various other things. If you're not using all of your memory I wouldn't worry, the more memory that's being used the better - that means it's being utilised. Unless of course a program is using a lot more memory than you would expect.

300MB seems fine for Firefox. My Chrome uses a couple of 100MB.

Arlen10

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012
My only suggestion would be to stop some processes from starting on Windows Startup.

Go to Start.
Type msconfig into search and press enter.
Go to start-up tab, disable anything that's not driver software such as nvidia, ati radeon, intel, amd. Thing that look like that.
Restart. If you get an error or something doesn't look right, try re-enabling some programs, you may have stopped a driver from loading.

This should free up some physical memory.

rampur

Commendable
Jul 3, 2016

Try this : http://abopc.blogspot.com/2016/05/windows-update-memory-leaksolved.html .It will solve your problem.What you are experiencing is Memory leak caused by windows update service wuaserv causing high CPU and Memorry usage by svchost.exe. MS fixed it in march 2016.Also DON'T disable svchost.exe , wuaserv or any other process or service for long time it will make system unstable.
Good Luck!!