Sign in with
Your question
Solved

How many times can u re-install???

Last response: in Windows 7
August 12, 2012 8:34:41 PM

Guys i wud like to the number of re-installations that can be done by using an original & legitimate Windows 7 Ultimate installation disc on the same computer????

More about : times install

a b $ Windows 7
August 12, 2012 8:41:59 PM

There's no limit I'm aware of, though you may need to use telephone activation if there's been a major hardware change.
m
l
August 12, 2012 8:57:29 PM

None, even with a major change.
m
l
Related resources
August 12, 2012 9:13:04 PM

When Windows activated, it detects your motherboard ID, and sends it off to a database. Whenever the product key is entered, it will scan to make sure the motherboard that's in the system is associated with the product key. So as long as you keep the same motherboard, as many as you like.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
August 12, 2012 9:14:09 PM

locomoco321 said:
When Windows activated, it detects your motherboard ID, and sends it off to a database. Whenever the product key is entered, it will scan to make sure the motherboard that's in the system is associated with the product key. So as long as you keep the same motherboard, as many as you like.

That's only with OEM version. A full retail version can be re-installed even with motherboard change.
m
l
a c 403 $ Windows 7
August 12, 2012 9:14:40 PM

Retail as many as you want,Oem until the motherbord fails or is upgraded.
m
l
August 12, 2012 9:55:32 PM

You can keep using OEM if you ring Microsoft and explain your old mobo died and you are replacing it. 99% of the time they will give you a new key.
m
l
August 12, 2012 10:15:40 PM

Ya'll have me thoroughly confused. I am a builder and I use Microsoft Windows 7 Pro 64 OEM version.

I have not experienced any problems reinstalling, even when I replace or upgrade a customer's motherboard.

I was under the impression it was other versions that limited installation. Maybe it was Windows 98 or XP? Am I mixed up? Being an old fart it happens to me quite frequently!!!
m
l

Best solution

a c 403 $ Windows 7
August 12, 2012 10:38:52 PM

Your copy of Windows is locked to the PC on which you purchased it. You cannot transfer that license to another PC.
You can upgrade any components or peripherals on your PC and keep your license intact. You can replace the motherboard with an identical model or an equivalent model from the OEM if it fails. However, if you personally replace or upgrade the motherboard, your OEM Windows license is null and void.

Microsoft.com ^
a b $ Windows 7
August 12, 2012 10:43:01 PM

oem allows 5 installs of windows. b4 you will have to phone m.s and use phone activation. the first time you call your best off talking to a rep and telling them you upgraded your system. better tell them you upgraded the gfx, hdd, and memory (this is enough to cause reactivation to kick in on an already activated system) you dont have to format to have to reactivate, just change enough of the system. different components have different values and its not until you exceed that value will you have to reactivate.
1s you tell em you upgraded they will as i said allow further activation without speaking to a rep this includes replacing the motherboard.. but tell them you swapped the motherboard first your likely reply will be, buy a new key.
m
l
August 13, 2012 12:27:30 AM

Best answer selected by AbDevils.
m
l
!