We need help with our detective work

BillW

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2004

My daughter suspects that her baby sitter (daughter of a personal friend) is
going places on the internet that she shouldn't using my daughter's
computer. Before she completely shuts the baby sitter out of her computer,
she would like to see where she's been. One very suspicious thing is that
all history files were deleted up to a time just before the baby sitter
would have finished baby sitting. Consequently, my daughter can't see where
the baby sitter has been.

My question: Is there anywhere else on the computer other than IE history
or temporary internet files where we can go to see internet activity during
a very specific time period. She did not have her ISP's logging capability
turned on at the time (it's on now).

My daughter has XP SP2. Thanks for helping us with our detective work. I'm
really hoping we can catch this little brat in the act.

map

BillW wrote:
> My daughter suspects that her baby sitter (daughter of a personal
> friend) is going places on the internet that she shouldn't using my
> daughter's computer. Before she completely shuts the baby sitter out
> of her computer, she would like to see where she's been. One very
> suspicious thing is that all history files were deleted up to a time
> just before the baby sitter would have finished baby sitting.
> Consequently, my daughter can't see where the baby sitter has been.
>
> My question: Is there anywhere else on the computer other than IE
> history or temporary internet files where we can go to see internet
> activity during a very specific time period. She did not have her
> ISP's logging capability turned on at the time (it's on now).
>
> My daughter has XP SP2. Thanks for helping us with our detective
> work. I'm really hoping we can catch this little brat in the act.

Even if the history is deleted the websites visited are kept in the
index.dat file.
Here is a free program that will list the websites.
http://www.acesoft.net/index.dat%20viewer/index.dat_viewer.htm

Once installed open it up and click on the index.dat button(far right
side),when the second window appears have it open the,
C:\Documents and Settings\her user name\Temporary Internet
Files\Content.IE5\index.dat.
Sorry this doesn't list any times.

--
Mike Pawlak

BillW

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2004

Thank you very much. I really appreciate your help.

"BillW" <xxx@xxx.com> wrote in message
> My daughter suspects that her baby sitter (daughter of a personal friend)
> is going places on the internet that she shouldn't using my daughter's
> computer. Before she completely shuts the baby sitter out of her
> computer, she would like to see where she's been. One very suspicious
> thing is that all history files were deleted up to a time just before the
> baby sitter would have finished baby sitting. Consequently, my daughter
> can't see where the baby sitter has been.
>
> My question: Is there anywhere else on the computer other than IE history
> or temporary internet files where we can go to see internet activity
> during a very specific time period. She did not have her ISP's logging
> capability turned on at the time (it's on now).
>
> My daughter has XP SP2. Thanks for helping us with our detective work.
> I'm really hoping we can catch this little brat in the act.

What is the purpose of this? You really don't trust them on your computer
but are happy for them to babysit? It seems your priorities are a bit out of
place here.

Netnanny and similar programs will restrict access to sites. Or hide the
modem cable. If your not happy then don't use them, don't mess around.
The chances are it is not as bad as you think, but what do the babysitters
parents do to restrict access on their computer? Or are they not bothered
what is accessed? If they aren't bothered don't you think your
blame/suspicion is misplaced?

Her usag emay well be completely innocuous and innocent, and there may
well a dozen perfectly sound reasons why she's deleting the history,
but the guy has the right to check, it's his PC and bandwidth, after
all!!

--
guestfromhell
guestfromhell's Profile: http://www.iamnotageek.com/member.php?userid=12490

If the baby sitter is deleting the internet history files, she must be
trying to conceal something!

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

"Alan Smith" <alan@hidden.email> wrote in message

> "BillW" <xxx@xxx.com> wrote in message
>> My daughter suspects that her baby sitter (daughter of a personal friend)
>> is going places on the internet that she shouldn't using my daughter's
>> computer. Before she completely shuts the baby sitter out of her
>> computer, she would like to see where she's been. One very suspicious
>> thing is that all history files were deleted up to a time just before the
>> baby sitter would have finished baby sitting. Consequently, my daughter
>> can't see where the baby sitter has been.
>>
>> My question: Is there anywhere else on the computer other than IE
>> history or temporary internet files where we can go to see internet
>> activity during a very specific time period. She did not have her ISP's
>> logging capability turned on at the time (it's on now).
>>
>> My daughter has XP SP2. Thanks for helping us with our detective work.
>> I'm really hoping we can catch this little brat in the act.
>>

> What is the purpose of this? You really don't trust them on your computer
> but are happy for them to babysit? It seems your priorities are a bit out
> of place here.
>
> Netnanny and similar programs will restrict access to sites. Or hide the
> modem cable. If your not happy then don't use them, don't mess around.
> The chances are it is not as bad as you think, but what do the babysitters
> parents do to restrict access on their computer? Or are they not bothered
> what is accessed? If they aren't bothered don't you think your
> blame/suspicion is misplaced?

If

Why not go for hanging now just like the old days?

> If the baby sitter is deleting the internet history files, she must be
> trying to conceal something!
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban

> "Alan Smith" <alan@hidden.email> wrote in message
>>
>> "BillW" <xxx@xxx.com> wrote in message
>>> My daughter suspects that her baby sitter (daughter of a personal
>>> friend) is going places on the internet that she shouldn't using my
>>> daughter's computer. Before she completely shuts the baby sitter out of
>>> her computer, she would like to see where she's been. One very
>>> suspicious thing is that all history files were deleted up to a time
>>> just before the baby sitter would have finished baby sitting.
>>> Consequently, my daughter can't see where the baby sitter has been.
>>>
>>> My question: Is there anywhere else on the computer other than IE
>>> history or temporary internet files where we can go to see internet
>>> activity during a very specific time period. She did not have her ISP's
>>> logging capability turned on at the time (it's on now).
>>>
>>> My daughter has XP SP2. Thanks for helping us with our detective work.
>>> I'm really hoping we can catch this little brat in the act.
>>>

>> What is the purpose of this? You really don't trust them on your computer
>> but are happy for them to babysit? It seems your priorities are a bit out
>> of place here.
>>
>> Netnanny and similar programs will restrict access to sites. Or hide the
>> modem cable. If your not happy then don't use them, don't mess around.
>> The chances are it is not as bad as you think, but what do the
>> babysitters parents do to restrict access on their computer? Or are they
>> not bothered what is accessed? If they aren't bothered don't you think
>> your blame/suspicion is misplaced?

I think the pillory would be more appropriate!