Max respone time to avoid ghosting?

hardstyle

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2005
Im looking at getting a LG L1720B. It has an average response time of around 15ms and a max refresh rate of 75hz. I use my computer for gaming mainly and i was wondering what would be the max id want to be going up to on the response time to avoid ghosting?

Thanks

RichPLS

Champion
I think it is more of a personal opinion, when refresh rates are below 21 ms as to appearance and bother of ghosting.
Some 20ms models have less ghosting than 16ms models.

awolfe63

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2007
1) Most LCD displays look better at 60Hz than at faster rates.
2) Anything 16ms or faster should have no ghosting. Probably 20ms of faster. The problem is that the stated specs do not always match reality. Anyone who tells you their game plays better on a 4ms display than a 9ms display is full of crap.

MagicPants

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2006
All lcds will have a little bit of ghosting a 3ms display should have half the ghosting of a 6ms but it never works out like this because the response time listed is gray to gray which you will never notice, because it's gray to gray.

The ghosting you will notice is the worst case black to white response time which is roughly similar for 2 and 5ms g2g response time displays (black to white response time varies from 12 to 24 ms).

The easiest way to subjectively measure ghosting is to move sharp black on white text (like this) across the screen and see how well you can read it. Your eyes won't see the ghosting unless you keep them focused on the text (by trying to read it). CRTs don't ghost at all.

Different color channels change at different rates as well. On a five year old LCD I saw ghosting behind green but not red or blue. More up to date lcds have corrected this enough where you will not notice it.

picture_perfect

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2003
there is no thing as ghosting its all in your head and everybody on the internet says it so it must be true because they have said it for 8 years and they know what theyre talking about and if you think opposite you need an eye exam and are codgy old bastard because crts are dead so join the twentyfirst centuary and quit giving everybody buyers remorse and feel like they been taken which they didnt think at all untill you showed up just because you have blurry eyes and cant see doodoo everybody sees different anyway so its all just completely relative and doesnt matter one bit at all and even if it did who watches the front of the screen anyway youre supposed to watch the back to see how thin and nice it is and thats what really counts isnt it plus that way you dont get radiation burns so i repeat there is NO ghosting and the proof is i dont see any and that should be good enuff for anybody but if there is we can all agree to think the different and then it will be gone and we will speak it out of existence.. there is no ghosting and those dead pixels are albino gnats peace out

Actually, ghosting does exist and has been shown using a good quality camera with a very fast shutter speed. Behardware.com is a site that does ghost testing below is an example:

The Samsung 245B: the 1st TN 24'' TN vs 24'' PVA, MVA...

Ghosting is subject because everyone's brain does not always process images transmitted to it through the eyes the same way. I have personally seen ghosting on a couple LCD monitors with supposedly 2ms response times, not all just some. However, some of my friends cannot see it.

As a tangent, some people cannot tell the difference between a $800 pair of speakers compared to a $8,000 pair of speakers when connected to the same equipment. For example, I can easily tell the difference between JBL speakers to B&W 801 speakers. The same can be said for my friend who was actually auditioning speakers to buy. However, another friend with us absolutely could not tell the difference whatsoever even after we let him know all the difference nuances between the two pairs of speakers.

If you cannot see ghosting, then great for you 'cause your brain does register it. However, I say that ghosting does really exist because I have seen it for myself when looking for an LCD monitor to buy. I generally spend about 6 month to 9 months researching and viewing monitors (if available) before I make my decision on which LCD monitor to buy so I have seen plenty of LCD monitors.

As one has already proved above, there is ghosting in lcd NOT crt monitors. You really make yourself look like a moron saying otherwise.
As jaguarskx pointed out quite well with the link, ghosting is the image NOT going away immediately when a new one is drawn (ghosting..duh). lcds that mark them selfs as 2ms are really 2ms Gray to gray, NOT black to white, which is much higher. If you look at older tom's reviews, he use to have very good specs of what the TRUE response of the monitors were, as they vary from color to color/black to white while displaying images. I've seen some of those so-called 2ms G2G really be 5ms b2w. But NEITHER spec is the true lantency. Here's a perfect article showing one monitor: performance.http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/four-wide-screen-19-monitors-compared,1560-5.html
The VX922 is marked as a 2ms monitor: http://www.viewsonic.com/products/desktopdisplays/lcddisplays/xseries/vx922/
But as the results actually show/prove, it's really a 5ms to 10ms monitor. This is were it gets blurry for alot of ppl about specs. If ppl remember, there have been so-called 8ms monitors that really went up beyond 24ms lantency. Looked like crap in movies/games. It is a little subject (as pointed out already) when our eyes register the 2nd image (ghost), on a moving object on the screen.

realzeus

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2007

Ghosting exists on LCDs. Saying that a newer technology is better than an older one, despite the obvious shortcomings of the newcomer is at best naive. Reminds me of the remark Steve Sutclife of the british Autocar made on the new Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X when it posted a time of 14.5 sec for the 0-100mph run and compared it to a 9 yeard old Evo VI that did it in 11.5... "You call that progress?". Unfortunately, it' s the same with monitors.

Meteo

Distinguished
May 4, 2008
so bottom line. Ghosting is a subjective phenomenon that cannot be measured by response time!........right?