Bigtime Crash

My son's computer with XP home has crashed big time! I can't get into safe
mode - Upon startup I see the emachines logo, then the windows xp logo and
then I get a black screen with just a white cursor (which moves around with
the mouse) & that is it. When I attempt to start in any version of safe
mode all I get is a black screen that has safe mode in white in each of the
four corners and across the top overlapping the safe mode is:
Microsoft (R) Windows XP(R)Build 2600.xpsp-sp2-gdr.050301-1519:Service Pack2)
I think we're in trouble. Any help out there?
Thanks.
7 answers Last reply
More about bigtime crash

    If possible attempt to retrieve any data from the hard drive by installing
    it in another PC as a Slave. If I am correct your E Machine comes with an
    Image of your hard drive. So just be aware that using those disks will
    format your drive resulting in loss of data and restoration to the factory
    condition the operating system was in at time of purchase.
    "NancyF." <NancyF.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > My son's computer with XP home has crashed big time! I can't get into safe
    > mode - Upon startup I see the emachines logo, then the windows xp logo and
    > then I get a black screen with just a white cursor (which moves around
    > with
    > the mouse) & that is it. When I attempt to start in any version of safe
    > mode all I get is a black screen that has safe mode in white in each of
    > the
    > four corners and across the top overlapping the safe mode is:
    > Microsoft (R) Windows XP(R)Build 2600.xpsp-sp2-gdr.050301-1519:Service
    > Pack2)
    > I think we're in trouble. Any help out there?
    > Thanks.

    Hi Nancy,

    If you hit ctrl+shift+escape, does task manager come up? If so, on the
    applications tab click "new task" and enter explorer.exe - does this bring
    you to the desktop?

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "NancyF." <NancyF.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > My son's computer with XP home has crashed big time! I can't get into safe
    > mode - Upon startup I see the emachines logo, then the windows xp logo and
    > then I get a black screen with just a white cursor (which moves around
    > with
    > the mouse) & that is it. When I attempt to start in any version of safe
    > mode all I get is a black screen that has safe mode in white in each of
    > the
    > four corners and across the top overlapping the safe mode is:
    > Microsoft (R) Windows XP(R)Build 2600.xpsp-sp2-gdr.050301-1519:Service
    > Pack2)
    > I think we're in trouble. Any help out there?
    > Thanks.

    Ask yourself:

    1. is there any data on the machine that I REALLY cant lose or do
    without?
    2. do I have all the original driver discs that came with the machine,
    still?
    3. do I really want to sit here for hours trying to fix it ?

    if the answers to the above are NO, YES and NO, then just reinstall XP
    from the original CD. It'll take you an hour tops.

    --
    guestfromhell
    guestfromhell's Profile: http://www.iamnotageek.com/member.php?userid=12490

    In news:guestfromhell.1qpx9a@no-mx.forums.iamnotageek.com,
    guestfromhell <guestfromhell.1qpx9a@no-mx.forums.iamnotageek.com>
    typed:

    > Ask yourself:
    >
    > 1. is there any data on the machine that I REALLY cant lose or
    > do
    > without?
    > 2. do I have all the original driver discs that came with the
    > machine,
    > still?
    > 3. do I really want to sit here for hours trying to fix it ?
    >
    > if the answers to the above are NO, YES and NO, then just
    > reinstall XP
    > from the original CD. It'll take you an hour tops.

    There's no way anybody can know how long it will take someone
    else to do something like this. How long it takes depends on many
    things: how many and what apps are installed? How much and what
    customization has been done? What backups have to be restored,
    and what medium and format are they in? And so on. Moreover,
    people have different levels of skill and comfort, and work at
    different speeds.

    The hard drive on my laptop died a little over a month ago, and
    had to be rebuilt from scratch. After replacing the drive,
    putting everything back the way it was took me a little over 16
    hours. And that was my laptop--with much less installed than on
    my desktop. If it had been my desktop, it would probably have
    taken twice as long.

    Nobody else's system is exactly the same as mine, and I'm not
    suggesting that it would take everyone 16 hours. But depending on
    what your system is like, it may take you less than 16 hours or
    it may take you more. Nobody's system is exactly the same as
    yours either, which is why I say that a statement like "It'll
    take you an hour tops" is never right for everyone.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    Boot with your WinXP CD and do a repair install.
    Some days you're the windshield,
    some days you're the bug.

    "NancyF." wrote:

    > My son's computer with XP home has crashed big time! I can't get into safe
    > mode - Upon startup I see the emachines logo, then the windows xp logo and
    > then I get a black screen with just a white cursor (which moves around with
    > the mouse) & that is it. When I attempt to start in any version of safe
    > mode all I get is a black screen that has safe mode in white in each of the
    > four corners and across the top overlapping the safe mode is:
    > Microsoft (R) Windows XP(R)Build 2600.xpsp-sp2-gdr.050301-1519:Service Pack2)
    > I think we're in trouble. Any help out there?
    > Thanks.

    I have had the same problem with the XP boot-up as Nancy for YEARS!
    When the computer boots up (Dell), it shows the Dell Logo, Windows XP Logo,
    then when you have the black screen with white cursor that is suppose to turn
    into a timeglass and then blue sign on screen...it doesn't happen. You are
    left with a black screen and white cursor that you can move around with your
    mouse. When you try to boot up with safe mode, you get the same, except for
    the words "safe mode" in each of the corners and your "build info" at the
    top.

    Like I said, this has happened to me so many times, I seriously cannot count
    them. The dreaded black screen. I have become an expert on what a service
    tech in India will tell you to do in this case...But the last time which I
    called, which was last nite, there only final reccommendation was to
    reinstall...

    Ok, First, you put in your original XP cd and choose to boot from disk when
    you are prompted...this will lead you to the screen that asks you if you want
    to install or repair...Choose "R" for repair. This will take you to a DOS
    screen where you will probably have only one choice, which is "1"...so type
    "1" and press enter. Then when you get the C:Windows> you will type
    chkdsk /r

    This stands for check disk and repair. This takes a while...so go watch a
    TV show, eat dinner, etc. (get your mind off the insane machine).

    You will know it is done when you get the C> You will then type exit
    This will reboot the machine, and hopefully this will work for you.

    My experiences are many. My last was that I did this twice, (the repair)
    and it still didn't work last night. Then after turning off and on manually
    like 20 times today it still gave me the black screen every time. I then did
    the repair again today. It still gave me the black screen. Then I turned off
    again, unplugged ev.thing from tower, opened up, vacummed out, reseated all
    the cards I could....re-connected all the cords to the back of my
    computer....Still, black screen...after 4 more times of manually turning off
    and rebooting and getting same failure, I finally got the blue screen, that
    is how I am able to type this. I am on a mission to find out what is the
    software programming problem that needs to be addressed so that this doesn't
    happen anymore. I would appreciate any help. I do all my Windows XP updates
    and even wonder if one of those is the cause. I even have the Norton
    SystemWorks which has "WinDoctor" that I was hopeful would resove this
    issue....help!

    "Byte" wrote:

    > Boot with your WinXP CD and do a repair install.
    > How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install
    > Some days you're the windshield,
    > some days you're the bug.
    >

    > "NancyF." wrote:
    >
    > > My son's computer with XP home has crashed big time! I can't get into safe
    > > mode - Upon startup I see the emachines logo, then the windows xp logo and
    > > then I get a black screen with just a white cursor (which moves around with
    > > the mouse) & that is it. When I attempt to start in any version of safe
    > > mode all I get is a black screen that has safe mode in white in each of the
    > > four corners and across the top overlapping the safe mode is:
    > > Microsoft (R) Windows XP(R)Build 2600.xpsp-sp2-gdr.050301-1519:Service Pack2)
    > > I think we're in trouble. Any help out there?
    > > Thanks.

    <LOL> I appreciate your sense of humor. :o)

    Suggestions:

    Computer Stops Responding with a Black Screen When You Start Windows
    http://support.microsoft.com/directory/article.asp?ID=KB;EN-US;q314503

    Windows XP Stops Responding at the Welcome Screen
    http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q294/4/27.asp

    How to Perform a Clean Boot in Windows XP
    How to Use Clean Boot Troubleshooting for Windows XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_conflicts.htm

    How to Recover from a Corrupted Registry that Prevents Windows XP from
    Starting
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;q307545

    How to Disable a Service that Prevents Windows XP from Booting
    http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q244/9/05.asp

    Use System Files to Create a Boot Disk to Guard Against Being Unable to
    Start Win XP

    Resources for Troubleshooting Startup Problems in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308041&Product=winxp
    --

    All the Best,
    Kelly (MS-MVP)

    Troubleshooting Windows XP

    "Oceanpotion" <Oceanpotion@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> [...]
    >> Some days you're the windshield,
    >> some days you're the bug.
    >>

    >> "NancyF." wrote:
    >>
    >> > My son's computer with XP home has crashed big time! I can't get into
    >> > safe
    >> > mode - Upon startup I see the emachines logo, then the windows xp logo
    >> > and
    >> > then I get a black screen with just a white cursor (which moves around
    >> > with
    >> > the mouse) & that is it. When I attempt to start in any version of
    >> > safe
    >> > mode all I get is a black screen that has safe mode in white in each of
    >> > the
    >> > four corners and across the top overlapping the safe mode is:
    >> > Microsoft (R) Windows XP(R)Build 2600.xpsp-sp2-gdr.050301-1519:Service
    >> > Pack2)
    >> > I think we're in trouble. Any help out there?

Microsoft Windows XP