hal.dll file missing or corrupted

June 16, 2005 2:02:04 AM

I installed winxp pro on a gateway last night, the computer booted up and ran
fine, I got on the internet using the modem, everything was working great.
Booted it up today and I get "windows could not start because the
Root\system32\hal.dll file is missing or corrupted" I tried to boot to the
xp cd, no luck, tried copying the fle to a cd and booting to it, no luck,
tried safe mode, last known good configuration etc. Nothing will allow me to
boot the OS to repair it. Tried using partition commander to possibly fix
the boot file but no luck either.
--
Fluffy
June 16, 2005 5:37:14 PM

Did you have anti-virus, anti-spyware and your firewall activated before
accessing the Internet? If not, you left yourself wide-open for infection,
which is probably your state at present.
Windows XP Setup - Missing or corrupt HAL.DLL
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_haldll_missing.htm
--
Some days you're the windshield,
some days you're the bug.

"fluffy the wonder kitten" wrote:

> I installed winxp pro on a gateway last night, the computer booted up and ran
> fine, I got on the internet using the modem, everything was working great.
> Booted it up today and I get "windows could not start because the
> Root\system32\hal.dll file is missing or corrupted" I tried to boot to the
> xp cd, no luck, tried copying the fle to a cd and booting to it, no luck,
> tried safe mode, last known good configuration etc. Nothing will allow me to
> boot the OS to repair it. Tried using partition commander to possibly fix
> the boot file but no luck either.
> --
> Fluffy
Anonymous
June 16, 2005 10:00:02 PM

OK bite, my state at present is beta spyware, norton updated twice a week,
sp2, windows firewall on, but as any moron knows you have to get on the
internet to activate windows, get the latest updates, activate norton, get
latest definitions, download any spyware program or if you buy the CD, get
the updates. So how do you do all of this "before" you access the internet.
You said it not me.
Fluffy

"Byte" wrote:

> Did you have anti-virus, anti-spyware and your firewall activated before
> accessing the Internet? If not, you left yourself wide-open for infection,
> which is probably your state at present.
> Windows XP Setup - Missing or corrupt HAL.DLL
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_haldll_missing.htm
> --
> Some days you're the windshield,
> some days you're the bug.
>

> "fluffy the wonder kitten" wrote:
>
> > I installed winxp pro on a gateway last night, the computer booted up and ran
> > fine, I got on the internet using the modem, everything was working great.
> > Booted it up today and I get "windows could not start because the
> > Root\system32\hal.dll file is missing or corrupted" I tried to boot to the
> > xp cd, no luck, tried copying the fle to a cd and booting to it, no luck,
> > tried safe mode, last known good configuration etc. Nothing will allow me to
> > boot the OS to repair it. Tried using partition commander to possibly fix
> > the boot file but no luck either.
> > --
> > Fluffy
Anonymous
June 16, 2005 10:30:33 PM

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3ben-...
Error Message: Windows Could Not Start Because the Following File Is Missing or
Corrupt...

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3ben-...
How to Install and Use the Recovery Console in Windows XP

Error Message: Cannot Find \Windows\System32\hal.dll
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_haldll_missing.htm
Also see http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_h.htm for troubleshooting issues with HAL
(Hardware Abstraction Layer).

"fluffy the wonder kitten" <fluffythewonderkitten@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in