Sign in with
Your question

Windows Security Blocking Everything

Last response: in Windows 7
August 13, 2012 1:04:06 AM

I've just got this laptop to repair with a problem I've never seen before. Windows Security is blocking absolutely everything. I mean everything from downloaded and installed software to Windows core software and programs. The only thing it will seem to run is explorer.exe.

Here is a screenshot of trying to open User Account Control from Control Panel. Sorry for the quality but I had to take picture on phone as can't take screenshot and upload as nothing will run.

The original, slightly less, strange thing is the lack of running processes in Task Manager. Usually even on a clean new laptop then are half a dozen or more, from Windows own core stuff to manufacturer install rubbish. On this thing there is only the follow core services.

1. csrss.exe
  2. dwm.exe
  3. explorer.exe
  4. taskhost.exe
  5. taskmgr.exe
  6. winlogon.exe
a b $ Windows 7
August 13, 2012 1:11:53 AM

It looks to me that the laptop in question has been infected with some kind of malware. If it wont let you scan using malwarebytes and or an AV then that is my pick.
m
l
August 13, 2012 1:14:05 AM

My first thinking too but there isn't anything running that would be causing this, at least nothing detectable, so I'm thinking whatever it is, is using the system against itself and has trigger Windows Security to attack everything. But the question is how to reverse this.
m
l
Related resources
August 13, 2012 1:17:41 AM

Rather not take the nuke approach just yet. :p 
m
l
a b 8 Security
a b D Laptop
a c 416 $ Windows 7
August 13, 2012 1:17:51 AM

Clean install of windows.