Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Can't get Windows XP Mode to Install Correctly

Last response: in Windows 7
a b $ Windows 7
March 9, 2010 10:57:45 PM

I recently upgraded my machine to an AMD Sempron II X3 720 Black Edition. I've enabled virtualization in the bios. I've gone and downloaded the following two files from Microsoft's Virtual PC web page:

Windows6.1-KB958559-x64.msu - the Virtual PC installation
WindowsXPMode_en-us.exe - the virtual PC XP Mode file

I've installed both files but nowhere in my menu do I have a Windows Virtual PC folder to launch into Windows XP mode.

When I go to the C:\Program Files\Windows XP Mode directory, all I see is this:

A folder called Tutorial
KEY.TXT
VXPEULA.txt
Windows XP Mode base.vhd

But nowhere do I have an icon in my start menu Virtual Windows XP shortcut. Has anyone else experienced this? I'm completely confused!
a c 215 $ Windows 7
March 9, 2010 11:01:52 PM

If Windows Virtual PC is in your Programs and Features list, remove it and reinstall.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
March 9, 2010 11:29:27 PM

The_Prophecy said:
If Windows Virtual PC is in your Programs and Features list, remove it and reinstall.

It's not, but I do have VMWare Player and Virtual Box installed. Could either of those be causing some sort of conflict?
m
l
Related resources
a c 209 $ Windows 7
March 9, 2010 11:41:19 PM

If you go into your home directory (typically C:\Users\<username>), do you see a "Virtual Machines" folder?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
March 10, 2010 1:39:45 AM

Yeah, but it's empty.

I can't find the program itself either. Strange.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
March 10, 2010 2:07:58 AM

You downloaded the files, but you need to install them as well.
m
l
a c 209 $ Windows 7
March 10, 2010 4:12:08 AM

Which version of Windows 7 do you have? XP Mode only works on Pro or Ultimate.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
March 10, 2010 5:19:08 AM

@ sminlal: I have pro.

@ daship: I've downloaded AND installed them. And, I've done it numerous times and nothing is there except the VHD file.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
March 10, 2010 5:37:49 AM

Stupid question maybe, but did you install the files in the right order as stated on the website?

WindowsXPMode_en-us.exe - the virtual PC XP Mode file - This one first
Windows6.1-KB958559-x64.msu - the Virtual PC installation - This one second
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
March 10, 2010 10:35:51 AM

Herr_Koos said:
Stupid question maybe, but did you install the files in the right order as stated on the website?

WindowsXPMode_en-us.exe - the virtual PC XP Mode file - This one first
Windows6.1-KB958559-x64.msu - the Virtual PC installation - This one second

Yup. Then I tried the other way as well just to be safe and the same result occurs both times. I never see the Virtual Windows folder in my Start menu nor can I find the Virtual PC program.

Very strange.
m
l

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
March 10, 2010 11:46:04 AM

Install and run this tool just to be on the safe side. It checks whether your system has all the required features to get XP mode working.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyI...
a b $ Windows 7
March 12, 2010 2:54:14 PM

Herr_Koos said:
Install and run this tool just to be on the safe side. It checks whether your system has all the required features to get XP mode working.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyI...

Tried that and it said everything was okay. :heink: 

Anyways, I'm not the only one experiencing this problem. Do a search on KB958559 failed install and you will see a lot of other people having this same problem. Some are point to a registry error, but none specifically spell out what it is. [:isamuelson]

I do know I've looked into the logs and it shows that the KB958559 was set to installed after the reboot, which supposedly means it installed just fine. Yet, nowhere can I launch the XP virtual machine. I can't even find the Virtual PC program, so I'm not exactly sure what the KB958559 is installing and where it's installing it to.

I'm about ready to reinstall Windows 7 considering I just swapped in a new motherboard without reinstalling Windows 7 (just removed all drivers related to the previous motherboard). I know under the previous motherboard, I couldn't run XP Mode (socket 939 AMD64 X2), but I decided to try it anyways! [:isamuelson:7] I uninstalled it after that so I'm wondering if the combination of swapping motherboards and attempting to run it with a CPU not capable of doing virtualization has somehow screwed up my Windows 7 innards?

One last thing I might try is uninstalling/disabling Avast. I saw some other posts apparently where people did this and Windows XP Mode installed just fine. I guess that's my final attempt before doing a complete reinstall of Windows 7. [:isamuelson:5]
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
March 13, 2010 3:27:36 AM

Well, I finally figured it out. I went to Start->Control Panel->Program and Features.

Next, I clicked on the Turn Windows Features On or Off and scrolled down and saw that Virtual PC was unchecked. I checked that, restarted and now I see the Virtual PC folder with Windows XP Mode.
m
l
a c 215 $ Windows 7
March 13, 2010 3:48:30 AM

Gotta love those simple fixes...
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
March 13, 2010 4:25:14 AM

The_Prophecy said:
Gotta love those simple fixes...

Don't you know it. I don't even know WHAT possessed me to go there, but I just decided to see if per chance Virtual PC was one of them.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
March 29, 2010 7:33:08 PM

Best answer selected by isamuelson.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
March 30, 2010 6:50:50 AM

isamuelson said:
Best answer selected by isamuelson.

n
nI'm flattered, even though my answer didn't actually solve your problem... but thanks anyway!
n
m
l
August 28, 2010 12:09:46 AM

I have got windows 7 Ultimate and have tried to install xp mode on it , the setup starts up to when it asks about sharing drives I then click start setup the setup window goes off and then nothing happens any ideas folk
m
l
September 16, 2012 5:04:54 PM

AMD black edition processors are not compatiable with VirtualPC xp mode,to overcome this problem microsoft has released a hot fix-KB2519949,download it from microsoft site and install along with other virtual pc programmes,then everything about virtualpc will be smooth in AMD processors..
m
l
December 28, 2012 8:31:25 PM

I'm having a similar issue. So I went to the website and downloaded both items. I installed the XP Mode. When I went to install the Windows6.1-KB958559-x64, I got a message "The update is not applicable to your computer." I tried to run the XP mode without it and it fails towards the end of the first time setup it goes through. Any ideas? As a side note, I ran the HAV Detection tool. It passed.
m
l
April 7, 2013 8:55:47 AM

I have the same experience as you with my Windows 7 Ultimate. As I have to reinstall my OS something about every quarter of a year I can tell you that you are out of luck. The only real solution I could found until now is to reinstall Windows. Sometimes when I install Windows new, XP-Mode simply dosen't wam't run no matter what I am doing. But if I reinstall the OS it works perfectly. So I would advise everyone to check after installation if XP-Mode runs, if not, immediately reinstall Windows. The chance that XP-Mode dosen't run seems to be by 30-35% precent if I guess right.
m
l
!