Help.. how to restore dir0000.chk files

June 16, 2005 5:43:06 PM

My harddisk crashed in a nightmare that giving me a hard time. All
information was lost and I pick up some .chk .exe .dll etc in the aftermath.
But how do I restore them? My target is to save as many files as possible.
Thanks
Jack
Anonymous
June 16, 2005 5:43:07 PM

chk files are clusters detected by chkdsk that can not be
assigned to a particular file. They are lost clusters. You
can try opening them with Notepad to see if you can
recognize what they were. But they are probably beyond
reasonable recovery.
If your hard disk was properly defragged, the files should
be in some order. But most likely file 0001.chk is an exe
file fragment and 0002.chk is a jpg.

In the future, backup, to a second drive, CD-R/DVD-R or
something. Don't worry about software, you can restore that
from the CDs, just worry about the data.

some support

"Jacky Luk" <jl@knight.com> wrote in message
news:o s$ZGZjcFHA.2420@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
| My harddisk crashed in a nightmare that giving me a hard
time. All
| information was lost and I pick up some .chk .exe .dll etc
in the aftermath.
| But how do I restore them? My target is to save as many
files as possible.
| Thanks
| Jack

Anonymous
June 16, 2005 5:43:07 PM

"Jacky Luk" <jl@knight.com> wrote:

>My harddisk crashed in a nightmare that giving me a hard time. All
>information was lost and I pick up some .chk .exe .dll etc in the aftermath.
>But how do I restore them?

You cannot restore the data from here. Each file keeps the data of one
of the buffers on the HDD that cannot be found in the FAT any longer.
You would have to "rearrange" all the buffers to files manually.
Restore the data from your latest backup.

--
(tm)
ICQ: 192649233

To put is simply.......

chk files are unrecognisable 'broken bits' of files. If they were once
txt files then you can open them in notepad and resave the contents as
a text file. If they are parts of a system file, eg an EXE or a DLL or
such, then if you open them in notepad all you will see is garbage.
They basically are no use to you.

All you can do, apart from recovering text from them, is delete them to
get the disc space back. You cannot, even with the advanced knowledge
required, reassemble them back into usable files.

--
guestfromhell
guestfromhell's Profile: http://www.iamnotageek.com/member.php?userid=12490