Cannot rename, delete or move folders with Explorer

since recently, my Windows XP installation (German with all service packs
and updates) on my IBM THinkPad T42 shows a strange effect. i cannot rename,
move or delete folders using the Explorer. from the command line, everything
works as usual. it does not matter where in the file system i try this or
under which user account. it does not even work if a log on as
administrator. the really bad thing is, there is no error message or entry
in the event log. for example, if i create a new folder, it just gets the
name "Neuer Ordner" (which is german for "New Folder"), because i cannot
rename it after the Explorer created it. there is really no sign of an error
anywhere. i click on the folder which i want to rename, press F2, type in
the new name, press ENTER and it still has its old name.

i checked the access rights for the file, but they are all right. i have
full control. i even checked this using the evective access rights tab.
since all commands work from the command line, it cannot be a problem with
the access rights i guess.

i even tried to install service pack 2 again, but it did not help either. i
have really no idea what else i could try.
i also compared the files explorer.exe and shell32.dll with files of another
system which works, but these files are identical.

i haven't installed any new software right before this happened. i also
checked the system for viruses, but there are none.

any idea?

arethere some entries in the registry which may be wrong?

Karl
9 answers Last reply
More about cannot rename delete move folders explorer

    "Karl Scheibelhofer" <karl.scheibelhofer@iaik.tugraz.at> wrote in message
    > since recently, my Windows XP installation (German with all service packs
    > and updates) on my IBM THinkPad T42 shows a strange effect. i cannot
    rename,
    > move or delete folders using the Explorer. from the command line,
    everything
    > works as usual. it does not matter where in the file system i try this or
    > under which user account. it does not even work if a log on as
    > administrator. the really bad thing is, there is no error message or entry
    > in the event log. for example, if i create a new folder, it just gets the
    > name "Neuer Ordner" (which is german for "New Folder"), because i cannot
    > rename it after the Explorer created it. there is really no sign of an
    error
    > anywhere. i click on the folder which i want to rename, press F2, type in
    > the new name, press ENTER and it still has its old name.
    >
    > i checked the access rights for the file, but they are all right. i have
    > full control. i even checked this using the evective access rights tab.
    > since all commands work from the command line, it cannot be a problem with
    > the access rights i guess.
    >
    > i even tried to install service pack 2 again, but it did not help either.
    > have really no idea what else i could try.
    > i also compared the files explorer.exe and shell32.dll with files of
    another
    > system which works, but these files are identical.
    >
    > i haven't installed any new software right before this happened. i also
    > checked the system for viruses, but there are none.
    >
    > any idea?
    >
    > arethere some entries in the registry which may be wrong?
    >
    > Karl

    Start a Command Prompt, then try your commands from
    there and see what message you get:

    To rename a folder: ren "Old Folder Name" "New Folder Name"
    To delete a folder: rd /s /q "Folder Name"
    To move a folder to the root directory: move "Folder Name" \

    > Start a Command Prompt, then try your commands from
    > there and see what message you get:
    >
    > To rename a folder: ren "Old Folder Name" "New Folder Name"
    > To delete a folder: rd /s /q "Folder Name"
    > To move a folder to the root directory: move "Folder Name" \

    thanks for the reply, but from the comman line, everything works (rename,
    move, delete). just from the explorer nothing happens.
    i cannot even do the same operations (rename,move, delete folder) on a
    connected network drive (i have the required permissions).

    Karl

    > > Start a Command Prompt, then try your commands from
    > > there and see what message you get:
    > >
    > > To rename a folder: ren "Old Folder Name" "New Folder Name"
    > > To delete a folder: rd /s /q "Folder Name"
    > > To move a folder to the root directory: move "Folder Name" \
    > >

    > thanks for the reply, but from the comman line, everything works (rename,
    > move, delete). just from the explorer nothing happens.
    > i cannot even do the same operations (rename,move, delete folder) on a
    > connected network drive (i have the required permissions).
    >
    > Karl

    This means that you have a problem with explorer. I suggst
    you run sfc.exe (System File Check). I would also scan the
    PC with an external virus scanner, e.g. on www.antivirus.com
    ("free online scan").

    "Pegasus (MVP)" <I.can@fly.com> wrote in message
    > This means that you have a problem with explorer. I suggst
    > you run sfc.exe (System File Check). I would also scan the
    > PC with an external virus scanner, e.g. on www.antivirus.com
    > ("free online scan").

    meanwhile a could find the reason for the problem. there was a shell
    extension handler of some program which seemed to cause the problem. after a
    hint from a colleague, i tried to look for such extension handlers in the
    registry. i found them under
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers. i have to find out
    which software installed these handlers with the names AES.... after i
    removed these handlers, the explorer could rename,delete and move folders
    again.

    it was quite tough to find and solve this problem. even applying service
    packs again and restoring the system to a previous system restore point did
    not help.

    Karl

    > "Pegasus (MVP)" <I.can@fly.com> wrote in message
    > > This means that you have a problem with explorer. I suggst
    > > you run sfc.exe (System File Check). I would also scan the
    > > PC with an external virus scanner, e.g. on www.antivirus.com
    > > ("free online scan").
    > >

    > meanwhile a could find the reason for the problem. there was a shell
    > extension handler of some program which seemed to cause the problem. after
    > hint from a colleague, i tried to look for such extension handlers in the
    > registry. i found them under
    > HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers. i have to find
    out
    > which software installed these handlers with the names AES.... after i
    > removed these handlers, the explorer could rename,delete and move folders
    > again.
    >
    > it was quite tough to find and solve this problem. even applying service
    > packs again and restoring the system to a previous system restore point
    did
    > not help.
    >
    > Karl

    Perhaps this one?
    http://www.hsz-t.ch/hsz-t/hszt-site/publikationen/hauszeitung/hszinfo01_3.pdf

    what has this news-paper to do with this problem?

    Karl

    > "Karl Scheibelhofer" <karl.scheibelhofer@iaik.tugraz.at> wrote in message
    > > "Pegasus (MVP)" <I.can@fly.com> wrote in message
    > > > This means that you have a problem with explorer. I suggst
    > > > you run sfc.exe (System File Check). I would also scan the
    > > > PC with an external virus scanner, e.g. on www.antivirus.com
    > > > ("free online scan").
    > > >

    > > meanwhile a could find the reason for the problem. there was a shell
    > > extension handler of some program which seemed to cause the problem.
    after
    > > hint from a colleague, i tried to look for such extension handlers in
    the
    > > registry. i found them under
    > > HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers. i have to find
    > out
    > > which software installed these handlers with the names AES.... after i
    > > removed these handlers, the explorer could rename,delete and move
    folders
    > > again.
    > >
    > > it was quite tough to find and solve this problem. even applying service
    > > packs again and restoring the system to a previous system restore point
    > did
    > > not help.
    > >
    > > Karl
    > >

    > Perhaps this one?

    http://www.hsz-t.ch/hsz-t/hszt-site/publikationen/hauszeitung/hszinfo01_3.pdf

    It speaks about AES and Shell Extension Handlers.

    > what has this news-paper to do with this problem?
    >
    > Karl
    >
    > "Pegasus (MVP)" <I.can@fly.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Karl Scheibelhofer" <karl.scheibelhofer@iaik.tugraz.at> wrote in
    message
    > > > "Pegasus (MVP)" <I.can@fly.com> wrote in message
    > > > >

    > > > meanwhile a could find the reason for the problem. there was a shell
    > > > extension handler of some program which seemed to cause the problem.
    > after
    > > > hint from a colleague, i tried to look for such extension handlers in
    > the
    > > > registry. i found them under
    > > > HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers. i have to
    find
    > > out
    > > > which software installed these handlers with the names AES.... after i
    > > > removed these handlers, the explorer could rename,delete and move
    > folders
    > > > again.
    > > >
    > > > it was quite tough to find and solve this problem. even applying
    service
    > > > packs again and restoring the system to a previous system restore
    point
    > > did
    > > > not help.
    > > >
    > > > Karl
    > > >

    > > Perhaps this one?

    http://www.hsz-t.ch/hsz-t/hszt-site/publikationen/hauszeitung/hszinfo01_3.pdf

    did you ever have a look at this document? it seems to have nothing to do
    with this topic.

    Karl

    > It speaks about AES and Shell Extension Handlers.
    >

    > "Karl Scheibelhofer" <karl.scheibelhofer@iaik.tugraz.at> wrote in message
    > > what has this news-paper to do with this problem?
    > >
    > > Karl
    > >
    > > "Pegasus (MVP)" <I.can@fly.com> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > "Karl Scheibelhofer" <karl.scheibelhofer@iaik.tugraz.at> wrote in
    > message

    > > after
    > > the
    > find
    > > > out
    > > folders

    > service
    > point
    > > > did

    > > > Perhaps this one?

    http://www.hsz-t.ch/hsz-t/hszt-site/publikationen/hauszeitung/hszinfo01_3.pdf

    I've been having the exact same problem in Windows XP Media Center Edition
    2005. I found that when I renamed a folder or file or created a new folder
    with a name, I could back out of the folder then return to it and the new
    name would update.

    I also found an article on the Microsoft Knowledge Base (do a Knowledge Base
    keyword search for "kbprb KB266990" without the quotation marks) concerning
    this problem. The solution offered was to hit F2 after renaming the folder
    in order to refresh the window. This works, however, no other permanent
    solution if offered to actually fix the problem and it also didn't mention it
    was a problem with Windows XP.

    Please let me know if you've found an actual solution. Thanks.

    "Karl Scheibelhofer" wrote:

    > since recently, my Windows XP installation (German with all service packs
    > and updates) on my IBM THinkPad T42 shows a strange effect. i cannot rename,
    > move or delete folders using the Explorer. from the command line, everything
    > works as usual. it does not matter where in the file system i try this or
    > under which user account. it does not even work if a log on as
    > administrator. the really bad thing is, there is no error message or entry
    > in the event log. for example, if i create a new folder, it just gets the
    > name "Neuer Ordner" (which is german for "New Folder"), because i cannot
    > rename it after the Explorer created it. there is really no sign of an error
    > anywhere. i click on the folder which i want to rename, press F2, type in
    > the new name, press ENTER and it still has its old name.
    >
    > i checked the access rights for the file, but they are all right. i have
    > full control. i even checked this using the evective access rights tab.
    > since all commands work from the command line, it cannot be a problem with
    > the access rights i guess.
    >
    > i even tried to install service pack 2 again, but it did not help either. i
    > have really no idea what else i could try.
    > i also compared the files explorer.exe and shell32.dll with files of another
    > system which works, but these files are identical.
    >
    > i haven't installed any new software right before this happened. i also
    > checked the system for viruses, but there are none.
    >
    > any idea?
    >
    > arethere some entries in the registry which may be wrong?
    >
    > Karl

Explorer Windows XP