Dell Vostro $100 Opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shez

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2004
No, I'm not going to pay you $100 bucks for you opinion :) but I would really appreciate your opinions on how to spend an extra $100 in my configuration.

On the Dell Vostro I'm saving money by going standard on most of the specs but have wiggle room with the processor and the GPU. The choice is either to bump the C2D T5270 (1.4GHz) up to a C2D T7250 (2.0GHz) -OR- to get a 256MB GeForce 8600M GT instead of the standard 128MB GeForce 8400M GS.

I'd like this computer to handle all my multimedia needs and be a portable, *decent* gaming computer. Obviously my desktop is where I do most of my gaming but it'd be nice to game on the road. I'm not expecting to play Crysis on a laptop but it'd be nice to have something I could play HL2 on.

My gut tells me that the GPU upgrade will vastly outweigh the benefit from gaining some clockspeed on the processor but wanted to ask you all, since you always know more than me and have tech savy info to back up your thoughts... instead of my highly calibrated 'gut'.

Thank you in advance for any of your thoughts.

Shez

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2004
I searched for Vostro coupons but I'm not really sure what to be looking for. Coupon codes? And are there any sites that usually have them?

Shez

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2004
Gotcha, ty lost.

In addition to my previous question does anyone know which wireless card I should go for? Does it really matter considering I'll only have a home wireless network?

Intel® PRO/Wireless 3945 802.11a/g Wi-Fi Mini Card [add $19]
Dell Wireless 1390 802.11g Wi-Fi Mini Card [subtract $10]
Dell Wireless 1490 802.11a/g Wi-Fi Mini Card [Included in Price]
Intel 4965AGN Wireless-N Mini-card [add $69]
Dell Wireless 1505 Wireless-N Mini-card [add $39]

I'm assuming your network at home doesn't include the N channel and if that's the case ignore the bottom two as they will be a waste of money. To be honest, just stick with the one they have selected. It allows you to use two very common channels and I doubt the Intel one would make any difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS