Viewsonic VP930B: is it good for gaming or is it very slow?

VSD

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I will use mainly for Flight Simulator 2004. Any experience?

There is st. I do not understand. If typical refresh rate for these types of panels is 60 why do we need reponse times lower than 16ms?.

Regards

cause_of_death

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
First of all if u r goin' to get a lcd mostly for gaming, then u should take a look at Vx922.. Vp930 is the best monitor if u do everything on pc (like gaming, watching films, programing, photographs etc.) Response times goes less => ghosting goes less.. And human eyes can spot the difference between >16 and <16.. Btw dont forget that some lcd's doesn't have the real response time that they say ..( for example; on Sony Hs95Pb it says 12ms but ghosting is like 25ms..) I think u r a Viewsonic fan like me.. Btw refresh rate on lcds are no any match with crts.. So I dont think its a big problem.. So if u r going to play games like %80-90 then I suggest u to buy Vx922 - Vx924.. If u playing game and other things on same percents then u should get the best monitor which is Vp930..

danizaken

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2005
Well said. If you mostly-only do gaming on your computer, then the VX924 or VX922 are for you. If you use it for different puposes like: watching movies, using designing programs and playing games, then the VP930B is a better choice. Anyway the 930B should perfrom well in games too with its 8ms response time(avg).

picture_perfect

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2003
Response times goes less => ghosting goes less.

i think thats right. if it takes a whole 16ms (or 1 screen refresh) to reach a requested color, the average percieved color during that refresh will be something else. the color needs to be reached and sustained during the refresh (or there needs to be an equivillent averaged color) so faster is just better.

there is another cause of ghosting in LCD's not related to response time. it has to do with how the eye percieves image persistance in these screens. basically since moving images are not "turned off" between frames, the human eye percieves blur. CRT's avoid the problem by having phosphors which fade quickly after the elecron beam passes. viewsonic mentions LCD fixes that imitate CRT qualities like strobbing backlights, pixel scanning, and inserting black frames (which seems to me would bring back flicker, one of the disadvantages of crt screens). anyway its amazing how well CRT's stand the test of time.

gerhardb

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2005
First of all if u r goin' to get a lcd mostly for gaming, then u should take a look at Vx922.. Vp930 is the best monitor if u do everything on pc (like gaming, watching films, programing, photographs etc.) Response times goes less => ghosting goes less.. And human eyes can spot the difference between >16 and <16.. Btw dont forget that some lcd's doesn't have the real response time that they say ..( for example; on Sony Hs95Pb it says 12ms but ghosting is like 25ms..) I think u r a Viewsonic fan like me.. Btw refresh rate on lcds are no any match with crts.. So I dont think its a big problem.. So if u r going to play games like %80-90 then I suggest u to buy Vx922 - Vx924.. If u playing game and other things on same percents then u should get the best monitor which is Vp930..

Do you have the Veiwsonic VX922? I just read another thread indicating that it's not a 8 bit panel.

cause_of_death

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
I don't own Vx922 but I own Vx924.. They r using same panels but I had some difficulties to understand that 8 bit panels.. U mean 16.2 million colors - 16.7 million colors (real)?