Want to remove Win 98 from XP computer

June 16, 2005 12:10:49 PM

Hi ... I have 2 hard drives, one is 120 gigs with 3 partitions and the first
partition has Windows XP pro. The second hard drive is 40 gigs with 3
partitions and the first has Windows 98 se on it. The other 2 partitions on
that drive is ntfs. I was able to choose which one to boot into with Acronis
OS selector. I had a problem and had to do a windows repair and the option
to choose operating systems no longer works now. I am sure I can fix it with
the cd, but I just want to remove Windows 98 all together. I need to know
the safest way to do this without destroying XP or any of the partitions. I
have both hard drives visible in windows setup. I am able to see some
folders and even use certain applicatiions in the 98 partition, but the
operating system is not visible. Can I just delete the whole 98 system or
can you tell me the best way. Thank You for any help. Michael

More about : remove win computer

Anonymous
June 16, 2005 12:10:50 PM

You can simply boot into XP and format the partition that contains Windows
98.

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

"Michael" <michaeldavidc@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi ... I have 2 hard drives, one is 120 gigs with 3 partitions and the
> first partition has Windows XP pro. The second hard drive is 40 gigs with
> 3 partitions and the first has Windows 98 se on it. The other 2 partitions
> on that drive is ntfs. I was able to choose which one to boot into with
> Acronis OS selector. I had a problem and had to do a windows repair and
> the option to choose operating systems no longer works now. I am sure I
> can fix it with the cd, but I just want to remove Windows 98 all together.
> I need to know the safest way to do this without destroying XP or any of
> the partitions. I have both hard drives visible in windows setup. I am
> able to see some folders and even use certain applicatiions in the 98
> partition, but the operating system is not visible. Can I just delete the
> whole 98 system or can you tell me the best way. Thank You for any help.
> Michael

Anonymous
June 16, 2005 7:28:07 PM

If 120 gigs HDD is connected as master and the XP partition is the primary
one. You can very well go ahead and format the first parition on the second
HDD to remove 98.

Look for io.sys or msdos.sys in the C: drive and remove it too.

You are all set.

--
Jonybrv

"Michael" wrote:

> Hi ... I have 2 hard drives, one is 120 gigs with 3 partitions and the first
> partition has Windows XP pro. The second hard drive is 40 gigs with 3
> partitions and the first has Windows 98 se on it. The other 2 partitions on
> that drive is ntfs. I was able to choose which one to boot into with Acronis
> OS selector. I had a problem and had to do a windows repair and the option
> to choose operating systems no longer works now. I am sure I can fix it with
> the cd, but I just want to remove Windows 98 all together. I need to know
> the safest way to do this without destroying XP or any of the partitions. I
> have both hard drives visible in windows setup. I am able to see some
> folders and even use certain applicatiions in the 98 partition, but the
> operating system is not visible. Can I just delete the whole 98 system or
> can you tell me the best way. Thank You for any help. Michael

June 16, 2005 7:41:03 PM

If 120 is the master and XP is installed on its primary partition. You need
not worry at all.

Just go ahead and format the first partition on the second hard drive.

Look for io.sys and msdos.sys at C: drive and remove them too.
--
Jonybrv

"Michael" wrote:

> Hi ... I have 2 hard drives, one is 120 gigs with 3 partitions and the first
> partition has Windows XP pro. The second hard drive is 40 gigs with 3
> partitions and the first has Windows 98 se on it. The other 2 partitions on
> that drive is ntfs. I was able to choose which one to boot into with Acronis
> OS selector. I had a problem and had to do a windows repair and the option
> to choose operating systems no longer works now. I am sure I can fix it with
> the cd, but I just want to remove Windows 98 all together. I need to know
> the safest way to do this without destroying XP or any of the partitions. I
> have both hard drives visible in windows setup. I am able to see some
> folders and even use certain applicatiions in the 98 partition, but the
> operating system is not visible. Can I just delete the whole 98 system or
> can you tell me the best way. Thank You for any help. Michael

Anonymous
June 17, 2005 3:12:03 AM

"Michael" <michaeldavidc@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi ... I have 2 hard drives, one is 120 gigs with 3 partitions and the
first
> partition has Windows XP pro. The second hard drive is 40 gigs with 3
> partitions and the first has Windows 98 se on it. The other 2 partitions
on
> that drive is ntfs. I was able to choose which one to boot into with
Acronis
> OS selector. I had a problem and had to do a windows repair and the option
> to choose operating systems no longer works now. I am sure I can fix it
with
> the cd, but I just want to remove Windows 98 all together. I need to know
> the safest way to do this without destroying XP or any of the partitions.
> have both hard drives visible in windows setup. I am able to see some
> folders and even use certain applicatiions in the 98 partition, but the
> operating system is not visible. Can I just delete the whole 98 system or
> can you tell me the best way. Thank You for any help. Michael

- Launch WinXP
- Rename d:\Windows to d:\Windows.98
- Wait a week
- If all is well, delete d:\Windows98.