WZC service

Good Day All,
A question for anyone who has wireless network knowledge.....
If a pc is on a wireless network (wireless adapter installed), once the
computer has picked up a signal from the wireless router, can the WZC
service (Wireless Zero Configuration) be stopped.
I was told that win xp's WZC will search for a wireless connection every 3-4
minutes whether it is connected or not. Once a connection is made, and
turning off the WZC service should stop the computer from searching for
connections and lock onto the one specific network.....

will this work?

Thanks for all advice/suggestions/comments.
8 answers Last reply
More about service

    "lorne" <stoner_123@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Good Day All,
    > A question for anyone who has wireless network knowledge.....
    > If a pc is on a wireless network (wireless adapter installed), once the
    > computer has picked up a signal from the wireless router, can the WZC
    > service (Wireless Zero Configuration) be stopped.
    > I was told that win xp's WZC will search for a wireless connection every
    > 3-4
    > minutes whether it is connected or not. Once a connection is made, and
    > turning off the WZC service should stop the computer from searching for
    > connections and lock onto the one specific network.....
    >
    > will this work?
    >
    > Thanks for all advice/suggestions/comments.

    The WZC service doesn't seem to work properly with some wireless cards.
    Sometimes it is better to disable it and use the utilities that came with
    the wireless card to connect to your network. Some cards install their own
    connection manager which can conflict with WZC. If you are having problems
    with dropped connections or inconsistant reporting of signal strength etc.
    this may be the problem.

    Kerry

    I know that this doesn't really answer your question - but as long as your
    computer remains connected to that one PC - does it really matter if its
    also looking for other networks?

    Justin
    "lorne" <stoner_123@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Good Day All,
    > A question for anyone who has wireless network knowledge.....
    > If a pc is on a wireless network (wireless adapter installed), once the
    > computer has picked up a signal from the wireless router, can the WZC
    > service (Wireless Zero Configuration) be stopped.
    > I was told that win xp's WZC will search for a wireless connection every
    > 3-4
    > minutes whether it is connected or not. Once a connection is made, and
    > turning off the WZC service should stop the computer from searching for
    > connections and lock onto the one specific network.....
    >
    > will this work?
    >
    > Thanks for all advice/suggestions/comments.

    well. if other networks are near by and are unsecure and available, wzc
    seems to want to connect to them, giving up the signal it had.

    "Justin Harrison" <publicngs@astyrrian.com> wrote in message
    > I know that this doesn't really answer your question - but as long as your
    > computer remains connected to that one PC - does it really matter if its
    > also looking for other networks?
    >
    > Justin
    > "lorne" <stoner_123@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Good Day All,
    > > A question for anyone who has wireless network knowledge.....
    > > If a pc is on a wireless network (wireless adapter installed), once the
    > > computer has picked up a signal from the wireless router, can the WZC
    > > service (Wireless Zero Configuration) be stopped.
    > > I was told that win xp's WZC will search for a wireless connection every
    > > 3-4
    > > minutes whether it is connected or not. Once a connection is made, and
    > > turning off the WZC service should stop the computer from searching for
    > > connections and lock onto the one specific network.....
    > >
    > > will this work?
    > >
    > > Thanks for all advice/suggestions/comments.

    Hi,

    I don't think Windows XP will automatically connect to local unsecured
    networks by default unless you reconfigure it to. Have you tried changing
    the preferred network order in the Wireless Network Connection dialog?

    Justin
    > well. if other networks are near by and are unsecure and available, wzc
    > seems to want to connect to them, giving up the signal it had.
    >
    > "Justin Harrison" <publicngs@astyrrian.com> wrote in message
    >> I know that this doesn't really answer your question - but as long as
    >> your
    >> computer remains connected to that one PC - does it really matter if its
    >> also looking for other networks?
    >>
    >> Justin
    >> "lorne" <stoner_123@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> > Good Day All,
    >> > A question for anyone who has wireless network knowledge.....
    >> > If a pc is on a wireless network (wireless adapter installed), once the
    >> > computer has picked up a signal from the wireless router, can the WZC
    >> > service (Wireless Zero Configuration) be stopped.
    >> > I was told that win xp's WZC will search for a wireless connection
    >> > every
    >> > 3-4
    >> > minutes whether it is connected or not. Once a connection is made, and
    >> > turning off the WZC service should stop the computer from searching for
    >> > connections and lock onto the one specific network.....
    >> >
    >> > will this work?
    >> >
    >> > Thanks for all advice/suggestions/comments.

    This will not work.

    If you stop WZC, you will be disconnected from the network.

    Two other ways to stop the service from connecting to other networks:

    Access Control Panel | Network connections | Wireless network icon |
    Wireless Network tab | Advanced. Uncheck automatically connect to non
    preferred networks.

    This should still detect wireless network in the range but will not connect
    to them.

    Another method, disable WZC and use the configuration utility provided by
    Wireless card manufacturer.

    --
    Jonybrv

    "lorne" wrote:

    > Good Day All,
    > A question for anyone who has wireless network knowledge.....
    > If a pc is on a wireless network (wireless adapter installed), once the
    > computer has picked up a signal from the wireless router, can the WZC
    > service (Wireless Zero Configuration) be stopped.
    > I was told that win xp's WZC will search for a wireless connection every 3-4
    > minutes whether it is connected or not. Once a connection is made, and
    > turning off the WZC service should stop the computer from searching for
    > connections and lock onto the one specific network.....
    >
    > will this work?
    >
    > Thanks for all advice/suggestions/comments.

    Disabling WZC will disconnect you from network.

    Two option now:

    Get Wireless configuration utility from Wireless card manufacturer, disable
    WZC and use it.

    Access Conrol panel | Wireless network properties | Advanced button. Uncheck
    automatically connnect to non preferred networks. This should still detect
    the network in the range but will not connect.

    --
    Jonybrv

    "lorne" wrote:

    > Good Day All,
    > A question for anyone who has wireless network knowledge.....
    > If a pc is on a wireless network (wireless adapter installed), once the
    > computer has picked up a signal from the wireless router, can the WZC
    > service (Wireless Zero Configuration) be stopped.
    > I was told that win xp's WZC will search for a wireless connection every 3-4
    > minutes whether it is connected or not. Once a connection is made, and
    > turning off the WZC service should stop the computer from searching for
    > connections and lock onto the one specific network.....
    >
    > will this work?
    >
    > Thanks for all advice/suggestions/comments.

    "Justin Harrison" <publicngs@astyrrian.com> wrote in message
    >I know that this doesn't really answer your question - but as long as your
    >computer remains connected to that one PC - does it really matter if its
    >also looking for other networks?

    WZC here
    apparently checks for encryption re-key and/or for other radio signals every
    60 seconds, breaks the connection just instantly but when I have live
    streaming network sound and video camera's they will pause and take 2 -
    10 seconds to get back the connection & sync up the stream. Terrible
    problem, seems like just a plain Terrible connection... that is Terribly
    distracting ... Had to disable the service for WzC to stop those pauses
    here even when not using windows to handle the connections.
    Have seen some Gamers have cursing problems too while using it. But
    just surfing webpages, you'd probably never notice those pauses and the
    bit of reduced through-put exactly at 60 second intervals.

    thanks...
    so then it is possible that i could disable the wzc on a local pc once i
    know it has a strong connection.
    and its not just the gamers having cursing issues with wireless stuff!!!

    thanks again

    "bumtracks" <lost@disney.lan> wrote in message

    > "Justin Harrison" <publicngs@astyrrian.com> wrote in message
    > >I know that this doesn't really answer your question - but as long as
    your
    > >computer remains connected to that one PC - does it really matter if its
    > >also looking for other networks?
    >
    > WZC here
    > apparently checks for encryption re-key and/or for other radio signals
    every
    > 60 seconds, breaks the connection just instantly but when I have live
    > streaming network sound and video camera's they will pause and take 2 -
    > 10 seconds to get back the connection & sync up the stream. Terrible
    > problem, seems like just a plain Terrible connection... that is Terribly
    > distracting ... Had to disable the service for WzC to stop those pauses
    > here even when not using windows to handle the connections.
    > Have seen some Gamers have cursing problems too while using it. But
    > just surfing webpages, you'd probably never notice those pauses and the
    > bit of reduced through-put exactly at 60 second intervals.

Wireless Network Windows XP