DirectX conflicts with NVIDIA GeForce MX4000?

Jim

I just installed a MadDog Predator MX4000 video card
(GeForce MX4000) 128MB DDR AGP8x/4x into my Dell Dimension
4100. I then updated to the most current NVIDIA drivers
(4.14.10.6694). My display works great EXCEPT when I run
Battlefield 1942 or Unreal Tournament GOTY. These used to
work fine on my old 32MB NVIDIA TNT2 M64 AGP4x card.
Battlefield's welcome screen display was totally flickery
and messed up. So then I updated DirectX to 9.0c from
Microsoft's website. Now the welcome screen is fine, but
during gameplay the display flickers in and out with
serious distortion of resolution/color rendering making
game unplayable. Soooo, I ran dxdiag and tried the
Direct3D test button - which goes through 3 tests of a
spinning cube. The first two work fine. The third has a
spinning cube but with ghost images at the bottom of my
screen, then the computer crashes before cycling out of
the test. The DirectDraw test did the same...first two
okay, then third had ghosting. Any ideas? I'm at a loss.
Thanks. I can send the dxdiag text file if you want.

Try older Nvidia drivers first
The latest are not always the best.

"Jim" <jwise1503@att.net> wrote in message
>I just installed a MadDog Predator MX4000 video card
> (GeForce MX4000) 128MB DDR AGP8x/4x into my Dell Dimension
> 4100. I then updated to the most current NVIDIA drivers
> (4.14.10.6694). My display works great EXCEPT when I run
> Battlefield 1942 or Unreal Tournament GOTY. These used to
> work fine on my old 32MB NVIDIA TNT2 M64 AGP4x card.
> Battlefield's welcome screen display was totally flickery
> and messed up. So then I updated DirectX to 9.0c from
> Microsoft's website. Now the welcome screen is fine, but
> during gameplay the display flickers in and out with
> serious distortion of resolution/color rendering making
> game unplayable. Soooo, I ran dxdiag and tried the
> Direct3D test button - which goes through 3 tests of a
> spinning cube. The first two work fine. The third has a
> spinning cube but with ghost images at the bottom of my
> screen, then the computer crashes before cycling out of
> the test. The DirectDraw test did the same...first two
> okay, then third had ghosting. Any ideas? I'm at a loss.
> Thanks. I can send the dxdiag text file if you want.

Jim

Thanks for responding. Before receiving this reply I was
able to get it to work. First I used DirectEradicator to
remove DirectX 9.0c b/c there was suggestion that 9.0 was
incompatible with my video card. I then installed 8.1
from a game disk. This still didn't work. I uninstalled
the NVIDIA drivers, returned my NVIDIA/GeForce MX4000
128MB AGP 8x/4x card and replaced it with a Radeon 9250
128MB AGP card, then installed the Radeon drivers. I left
DirectX at 8.1. It worked!!! Since I already
uninstalled/re-installed the NVIDIA drivers 2 times during
troublshooting, I'm left to believe that either 1) the
NVIDIA card was defective, or 2) the NVIDIA drivers and or
chipset was incompatible with my old Dell Dimension 4100
motherboard.