nick

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Ok im trying to fix my brothers mistake he found a amd athlon computer in
garbage took our moms hd with win 98 on it and tried to swap out drives didnt
work. He put everything back way it was and now black safe mode screen comes
up and computer freezes or gets a windows protection error. ok so he puts in
the cd rom from my moms computer and his win xp home cd along with a blank hd
and we boot to cd to reinstall problem is it Doesnt Boot the CD its saying
Failure on booting cd No Idea

And when we put original drive back in amd athlon and reboot with different
win xp cd it works but gets to loading kernel ah heck dll and freezes...

all attempts at getting into Dos mode (which we arent even sure how to do)
didnt work and using a boot disk from bootdisk.com didnt work either i need
help

Please

Apparently he didn't put things back the way they were, or it would work.
You need to do two things.

1. Keep your brother away from your computer.

2. Take the tower to a computer repair shop (not a big box computer sales
place, a repair shop) and let them tell you what it will cost your brother
to get mom's computer fixed.

"nick" <nick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Ok im trying to fix my brothers mistake he found a amd athlon computer in
> garbage took our moms hd with win 98 on it and tried to swap out drives
> didnt
> work. He put everything back way it was and now black safe mode screen
> comes
> up and computer freezes or gets a windows protection error. ok so he puts
> in
> the cd rom from my moms computer and his win xp home cd along with a blank
> hd
> and we boot to cd to reinstall problem is it Doesnt Boot the CD its saying
> Failure on booting cd No Idea
>
> And when we put original drive back in amd athlon and reboot with
> different
> win xp cd it works but gets to loading kernel ah heck dll and freezes...
>
> all attempts at getting into Dos mode (which we arent even sure how to do)
> didnt work and using a boot disk from bootdisk.com didnt work either i
> need
> help
>
> Please

Perhaps the computer was in the garbage for a reason????
Possible problems include but are not limited to
bad motherboard,
bad RAM
bad hard drive

As for your mom's system it sounds like you don't have much computer
experience. You might need face-to-face help. However if you want to try to
fix this on your own make certain that your connections are tight and
everything is plugged in where it is supposed to be plugged. Consult the
motherboard manual to see how to determine that the CD-Rom and hard drive is
being properly detected.

As I understand it your mother's hard drive still has Windows 98 on it. Try
booting with a Windows 98 boot disk. Use this download
http://files.frashii.com/~bootdisk/lorrainegabay/boot98se.exe You need to
download the file to a working computer, pop a blank floppy into the drive
and double click the file to expand it onto a floppy you just can't download
the file and copy the file to the floppy.

Boot your mother's computer with the floppy. At the command prompt ( or the
A:> )type the following and press the Enter Key
SYS C:

The above will copy system files to the hard drive. When finished remove the
floppy and try rebooting the computer. If this doesn't help then you likely
have damaged the Windows 98 install on the hard drive when messing with it.
You options then could be running a repair install of Windows 98 or a fresh
install.
--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

nick wrote:

> Ok im trying to fix my brothers mistake he found a amd athlon computer in
> garbage took our moms hd with win 98 on it and tried to swap out drives didnt
> work. He put everything back way it was and now black safe mode screen comes
> up and computer freezes or gets a windows protection error. ok so he puts in
> the cd rom from my moms computer and his win xp home cd along with a blank hd
> and we boot to cd to reinstall problem is it Doesnt Boot the CD its saying
> Failure on booting cd No Idea
>
> And when we put original drive back in amd athlon and reboot with different
> win xp cd it works but gets to loading kernel ah heck dll and freezes...
>
> all attempts at getting into Dos mode (which we arent even sure how to do)
> didnt work and using a boot disk from bootdisk.com didnt work either i need
> help
>
> Please

Put everything back the way it was including putting the POS computer
you're trying to resurrect back in the garbage.

Steve